Don't tease me Trib...

Wanne

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 06:59 PM)
In whatever role he's ends up, you can sure sure there will be no hero-worshipping coming from 35th street.

And perhaps, this will trickle down to the players as well.

I haven't really followed Tony with the Cardinals, everything I hear about him is that he's a bit of a jag. Which in someways Ozzie is as well, but I think the team does need a shake up like this to take on Minnesota.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 09:26 PM)
I would be so happy if this happened.

So would I. I'll laugh my ass off next year when Guillen is building Florida into a big time winner and LaRussa is getting second guessed every day like Guillen gets second guessed now.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
So would I. I'll laugh my ass off last year when Guillen is building Florida into a big time winner and LaRussa is getting second guessed every day like Guillen gets second guessed now.

so you will retroactively laugh your ass off? Will Guillen be given full GM duties as well as managerial duties so he can build his big time winner?

Guillen would do better in the AL with the Braves or Marlins or whatever team, although I sincerely doubt he would be able to beat the Phillies.

I just don't know about LaRussa. Isn't he 67? The first issue is the salary, which will be 5X as much as we've ever paid a manager. The second issue is what is his role, GM or manager, or both?

I wouldn't mind it for one season, though. To tell the truth, I think if we don't win in 2011, unless something changes dramatically next year, we're really going to be behind the 8 ball in terms of expiring contracts and roster turnover.

Of course, I don't think LaRussa would take a one year contract with the constant questions about what would happen in the future from the media...OTOH, TLR would never sit patiently (Piniella had the same problem with the Rays) through any type of rebuild with youth. He would just quit after one year, but you still would have to give him a 3 year contract at the minimum.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 08:15 PM)
LaRussa is the king of micro managing his bullpen and of playing small ball. You don't think you would have a LaRussa Ball tracker in your sig if he was hired as coach???

I agree. Not the biggest LaRussa fan at all. If anyone thinks Ozzie pisses you off in managing tactics, he certainly will. However, he is also a guy who will not take s*** from players, won't accept crap when his players get hit, players who usually play for him usually hustle, not afraid to bench guys and he won't kiss any other teams' ass. Maybe this team needs that type of manager. I guarantee a LaRussa managed team usually won't fade down the stretch thats for sure.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
I agree. Not the biggest LaRussa fan at all. If anyone thinks Ozzie pisses you off in managing tactics, he certainly will. However, he is also a guy who will not take s*** from players, won't accept crap when his players get hit, players who usually play for him usually hustle, not afraid to bench guys and he won't kiss any other teams' ass. Maybe this team needs that type of manager. I guarantee a LaRussa managed team usually won't fade down the stretch thats for sure.

Well except for this year...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)
FYI, the last time the Cardinals played over .500 baseball in September was 2004

Since taking the Cards job in winning seasons:

1996 September: 17-9

1998 September: 18-7

2000 September: 19-9

2001 September: 17-5

2002 September: 21-6

2003 September: 13-13

2004 September: 16-12

2005 September: 13-13

2006 September: 12-16 (there's one fade)

2008 September: 12-13 (there's another)

2009 September: 13-13

Not sure if August counts as the "stretch run" but the August numbers are even more impressive. I don't know how "usually" gets to mean "always" so I guess I'll have to add that to the dictionary, but on winning seasons, in September, he USUALLY gets his team to play .500 or better. (and I don't know how .500 ball in September is a bad thing) Doesn't seem to bother a team who has been to the WS twice in the last decade (won one), a championship series five times and a divisional series seven times.

QUOTE (T R U @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 03:07 AM)
Sick burn bro

I should tell you off like I did to my boy J4L (in a playful way) but you get no such love.. or respect from me. -_-

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
Guillen would do better in the AL with the Braves or Marlins or whatever team, although I sincerely doubt he would be able to beat the Phillies.

I just don't know about LaRussa. Isn't he 67? The first issue is the salary, which will be 5X as much as we've ever paid a manager. The second issue is what is his role, GM or manager, or both?

I wouldn't mind it for one season, though. To tell the truth, I think if we don't win in 2011, unless something changes dramatically next year, we're really going to be behind the 8 ball in terms of expiring contracts and roster turnover.

Of course, I don't think LaRussa would take a one year contract with the constant questions about what would happen in the future from the media...OTOH, TLR would never sit patiently (Piniella had the same problem with the Rays) through any type of rebuild with youth. He would just quit after one year, but you still would have to give him a 3 year contract at the minimum.

I would imagine after so many years with one organization he would quit than change scenery.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)
Kenny Williams and our farm system are more troublesome to me than Ozzie.

Look at what we have at Charlotte and Birmingham -- and it don't look pretty.

And williams needs to explain to The Chairman again why he is paying Manny $4 million and why he traded Hudson and Gonzalez.

I don't think Kenny has to explain the money. He says, "Jerry, can I?"

Why not? If the Ozzie/Walker haters used the same standards and apply them to Coop, he should be the out the door.

Uh, wrong. Perhaps you haven't noticed that until earlier this year our offense hasn't been the least bit smart or even fundamental since mid 2006. This is not even close to being true with the pitching.

I can't say i'd be any happier about this team with Larussa as manager. I don't like the guy, and i don't think he's got anything stategically that Ozzie doesn't. Mostly, he has Dave Duncan.

If he's got the common sense to use the damn scouting reports sometimes (as Ozzie has practically shown an inability to do), I'll take him. When you look at a lot of BASIC managerial responsibilities and how Ozzie handles them, almost anyone else looks better.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 03:20 AM)
Uh, wrong. Perhaps you haven't noticed that until earlier this year our offense hasn't been the least bit smart or even fundamental since mid 2006. This is not even close to being true with the pitching.

thank you.