Don't tease me Trib...

Wanne

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 05:57 PM)
return of revolving doors? Im pretty sure if a change is made, KW will stick with who he picks

My apologies for comin off preachy. I just can't understand the Larussa2011 love. The man is around 70. 70! How is that upgrading for the future? I don't see fire n passion, I only see a corpse manager.

Why not offer Bobby Cox 3rd base coach; he's available too.

How bout sticking with both Ozzie and Kenny and just tweaking the roster instead? They've both proven they can win the big one. The 2005 team is a prime example of players collectively having career years- why is that never to Ozzie's credit, getting a lackluster group to overachieve? Could Bevington have coasted to a title with that team as well? Not sure.

And all you Ozzie haters, don't forget you have to beat out the cubs for a manager as well now. Tough boat to be in; tough sell to the fans.

Well I guess if we could pry George Brett away from the Royals.....

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)
My apologies for comin off preachy. I just can't understand the Larussa2011 love. The man is around 70. 70! How is that upgrading for the future? I don't see fire n passion, I only see a corpse manager.

How bout sticking with both Ozzie and Kenny and just tweaking the roster instead? They've both proven they can win the big one. The 2005 team is a prime example of players collectively having career years- why is that never to Ozzie's credit, getting a lackluster group to overachieve? Could Bevington have coasted to a title with that team as well? Not sure.

And all you Ozzie haters, don't forget you have to beat out the cubs for a manager as well now. Tough boat to be in; tough sell to the fans.

I certainly didn't take your post as preachy. I agree about LaRussa (and Torre for that matter), at least when it comes age. Either one most likely wouldn't give you more than 5 years or so. I do credit Ozzie with at least some of what happened in 2005. What he did back then with the team he had worked. Things just haven't gelled since. Not entirely Ozzie's fault, but he tried to manage like an NL club, and it really hasn't worked.

As far as your comment about the Cubs, that's true. As a matter of fact, there could be many more teams looking for managers during this off season. Like an article stated, Guillen and LaRussa leaving their present clubs could start a domino-effect.

Im gonna go ahead and guess that you quoted the wrong post

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 07:46 PM)
Other than Jerry Manuel, he also had the easiest time to make the playoffs as 4 teams instead of 2 make them now. Gene Lamont won a division in 1993 played for the AL Championship and lost. In 1994 a lot of people thought that team was WS bound. I would think they would have waltzed into the playoffs at least. He was fired 28 games into the next season for Terry Bevington. A move that should get Ron Schueler permanently banned from US Cellular Field.

I would have loved to see what that 1994 team would have done in the post season. Unfortunately we didn't get to. You can make all the excuses you want, but my answer to his question is still correct.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 12:10 AM)
Highly doubtful.

Why is it that you think the worst of this organization if Ozzie leaves? Its like you are wanting them to do bad because this, for lack of a better word, divorce is happening. It doesnt make sense, if you are a fan of the team you should want them to do well and understand that Ozzie has done a tremendous amount of PR damage to himself and damage to the relationship of the team that employs him through his own mouth and his sons mouth.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 12:12 AM)
Your posts are absolutely ridiculous. You really think that Buddy Bell, owner of a .418 winning percentage and who has never managed a better than 3rd place team, would be offered this position?

1.) If Ozzie leaves, believe me, I still want us to win. I will not want them to fail. That's like saying I'll want our next closer to fail just because I worship Bobby. No, I want next year's closer to do well.

2.) Yes.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 01:19 AM)
I have to hand it to you, Greg. You are all over the place. As far as Torre goes, I say there's no chance. He's 70, so he wouldn't be around long (coaching, that is). Buddy Bell? I doubt it. If Ozzie leaves, and if he does it'll be on his own terms, I see the Sox going younger again, like with Ozzie. And it might be someone from within the organization (Cora?).

I know you love Ozzie, but you make it sound like this team would never win an other game if he's not back next year. Yes, the Sox won it all in 2005, but other than that, how many times did the Sox make the playoffs under Ozzie?

Doesn't LaRussa do this every year or so?

I would imagine he'd want to stay in St. Looie if he wants to keep managing.

Unlike here, the people actually realize he can stay as long as he wants to. They get mad but have never run him out of town like many on Soxtalk try to do with WS titlist Ozzie.

LaRussa would be a fool to come back here. I would suspect he'll think better of it. Not a good move for him. It's just not.

Cardinals are a much better organization than the White Sox. Money about the same I'd suspect.

I mean how close is he with Jerry??

Both LaRussa and Ozzie have huge egos.

Ozzie's ego may have forced his hand to leave Chicago this time. But Florida won't be a bad consolation prize for him. Not a bad one at all. Probably get a 5 year deal out of it for big bucks in great part of the country.

Edited by greg775

Because they can't co-exist.

As a Sox fan, I could care less who the Cubs bring in as a manager if we're also getting a new one. In fact, I don't care about the moves the Cubs make at all.

Ha, just found this quote in the other newspaper, sun times, bout ozzie

Guillen is the most popular man in a Sox jersey in town. He might be the most popular sports figure in town. He helps put butts in seats. And he's a good manager. How would not signing him to a new contract help the organization?

Yes!

That Morrissee colun was excellent and the correct take on this IMO.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
Ha, just found this quote in the other newspaper, sun times, bout ozzie

Guillen is the most popular man in a Sox jersey in town. He might be the most popular sports figure in town. He helps put butts in seats. And he's a good manager. How would not signing him to a new contract help the organization?

Yes!

That Morrissee colun was excellent and the correct take on this IMO.

I disagree. Unless by popular he means well-known, and that would be only because of the soap opera he currently stars in. Konerko is the face of this team right now, IMO. Does Ozzie really help put butts it seats? Really? People don't go to a Sox game to see Ozzie (unless all they ever want to see is him getting thrown out of changing pitchers).

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)

Have you ever heard of the Chicago Bears? The 2010 Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks?

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Sep 23, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
Um, CLEARLY it's nowhere NEAR as simple as that.

Well...honestly, it could be. This team was competitive for most of the year as it was. Rolling the dice again with some slight tweaks might well put it over the top.

That said...KW doesn't do "small tweaks" in the offseason.

Well...honestly, it could be. This team was competitive for most of the year as it was. Rolling the dice again with some slight tweaks might well put it over the top.

That said...KW doesn't do "small tweaks" in the offseason.

KW has been "tweaking" the roster for years without (being able to?) addressing some of the biggest holes in the team and signing old guys to try and hope they relive their glory days with us. That doesn't work very well.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Sep 23, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
KW has been "tweaking" the roster for years without (being able to?) addressing some of the biggest holes in the team and signing old guys to try and hope they relive their glory days with us. That doesn't work very well.

Aside from CF (and the failure of Anderson) can you name a single position that has remained a gaping hole over a period of multiple years that hasn't been solved, even temporarily?

Aside from CF (and the failure of Anderson) can you name a single position that has remained a gaping hole over a period of multiple years that hasn't been solved, even temporarily?

Coming from you, I'm taking this as a joke question. No way you're serious. If by "temporarily" you mean by someone who was mediocre it doesn't count because that's the point of the post.

Manager

:headbang

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Sep 23, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
third base.

Josh Fields was the only thing worth watching on the 2007 White Sox, then Crede was back but his back didn't hold up.

Last year many wanted Beckham to stay at third base and hopefully we won't ever have to witness Teahen playing in the hot corner ever again, but I don't think you're right.