Don't tease me Trib...

Wanne

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
There aren't reports of Ozzie abusing the legal drug. LaRussa is the only manager who was found passed out behind the wheel at a major intersection. That means he abuses alcohol; he doesn't have the stones to say no to drinks after he gets tipsy. No way is this a role model for young men.

It means he drank too much at that time and made the bad decision to drive. It doesn't necessarily mean he abuses alcohol.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
I don't. Do you really think that LaRussa is that big on an influence on his players (who are adults) that they drink and drive just because he does?

I think that if there is such a thing as a "Clubhouse culture"...having 2 separate DUI incidents, including one involving the manager...points to some level of irresponsibility/willful turning a blind eye by the manager.

At the end of the day, they're still grown men and they make their own decisions. If my father was arrested for a DUI tomorrow, I wouldn't suddenly go out and drive drunk thinking that it's a completely justifiable action simply because he's been a great role model all of my life. Ron Washington admitted to cocaine use in the offseason and there were people on here that wanted him to step down as manager because of it and part of that reason is because that is the one clubhouse in the entire MLB where admitting something like that is taboo because their best player was a huge cocaine addict, yet it hasn't affected Hamilton (because he is surrounded by other people who keep him away from that kind of stuff) nor the rest of their clubhouse considering they're going to make the playoffs for the first time in 10+ years.

LaRussa was a moron for driving, especially when he was as drunk as he was. If you want to indict anyone, indict the entire Cardinals organization for adhering to the type of organizational philosophy that condones drinking and driving and allowing it to continue, but then I'd praise them, because I seem to recall that they were one of the organizations that first banned alcohol from locker rooms as well, and (unless I'm totally spacing something off) they've been pretty damn good over the past several years as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 07:54 AM)
You don't think there's any connection between a player who drinks and drives and a manager who does the exact same thing?

Not at all. These guys arent being taught life lessons by LaRussa, they are being managed by him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
In terms of the LaRussa criticism...DUI is the issue.

So being the all-loving liberal that you are you probably wanted Ozzie fired immediately for using homophobic words like f**. We can't have a manager treat people like that since he is a role model to the team.

Note: I actually did want him fired because of it.

Ozzie said just the other day that he needed to decide between Lucas Harrell and Carlos Torres who was going to start the next day, and that he would talk to his Vodka. Im pretty sure half of the dugout ran out to Binnys Beverage Depot after the game and bought a handle of vodka

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
I think that if there is such a thing as a "Clubhouse culture"...having 2 separate DUI incidents, including one involving the manager...points to some level of irresponsibility/willful turning a blind eye by the manager.

Hancock may have started drinking in the clubhouse, but he went to another restaurant and got hammered, so its not like LaRussa pointed him towards his car. His ballplayers are grown ass men, so I have a hard time blaming him when they make bad decisions.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
im sure guillen was standing at the door telling everyone to get a cab

Frankly...I'm not sure that's a terrible idea.

Maybe he doesn't need to be baby-sitting them when they go out...but taking steps to make sure that they take a cab, like say...making sure they have the numbers of a cab company, making sure to remind them, or possibly even arranging transportation for a group beforehand...might not be terrible plans.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)

Maybe he doesn't need to be baby-sitting them when they go out...but taking steps to make sure that they take a cab, like say...making sure they have the numbers of a cab company, making sure to remind them, or possibly even arranging transportation for a group beforehand...might not be terrible plans.

Maybe you are projecting your idea of a perfect manager because your argument against LaRussa isnt holding much water. The fact of the matter is that LaRussa had next to nothing to do with Hancock killing himself, the only thing LaRussa needs to concern himself with is his own DUI. And again, LaRussa's own DUI has nothing to do with how the rest of the team conducts themselves either.

You are acting like this is a regular occurrence for the Cardinals.

In reading these arguments, I can't get past the fact that we are talking about grown men. Unless their manager is saying, "Hey guys, go get trashed and then jump in your cars and drive around", he's not responsible for them getting DUIs or getting in accidents. He may have set a bad example by getting his own DUI, but that's about the long and short of it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)

Holy s***, dude. They're grown men.

You know what else would be a good idea? They should all take a big yellow bus wherever they go outside of games, hold hands while walking through crowds, and have a parent with them at all times to constantly count heads.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)

I'm sure that's how Torre does it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
Balta is the only person on Soxtalk that agreed with Walter Jacobson's opinion piece criticizing Paul Konerko for running the bases with a beer can after clinching it in 2000. :P

Again...there's a difference between doing something like that and doing something like that followed by getting behind the wheel of a car.

It has nothing to do with babysitting the young men. Yes, we know they are adults. The issue is that LaRussa is a careless individual. If he isn't sober now, then based on his DUI there's no telling what he is capable of. Why the hell wouldn't he do it again? He obviously has no problem getting overserved and driving. He can't control his own life and you want him to manage young, impressionable men?

I don't want to talk about this but I guess we HAVE to because the fact that he's like 70 years old isn't enough evidence to stop this discussion. LaRussa for manager....really???? Good Lord, how is that man the future of the WhiteSox? Please explain.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
It has nothing to do with babysitting the young men. Yes, we know they are adults. The issue is that LaRussa is a careless individual. If he isn't sober now, then based on his DUI there's no telling what he is capable of. Why the hell wouldn't he do it again? He obviously has no problem getting overserved and driving. He can't control his own life and you want him to manage young, impressionable men?

I don't want to talk about this but I guess we HAVE to because the fact that he's like 70 years old isn't enough evidence to stop this discussion. LaRussa for manager....really???? Good Lord, how is that man the future of the WhiteSox? Please explain.

Then by all means stop. Ya know what...I had a DUI back in my day...and I'm a pretty responsible, productive member of society who's a single dad mind you also and have raised 3 awesome kids. Sure glad I didn't have Judgy-judgersons like you tellin' me what an awful individual I am and what I'm "capable of". Get off you high horse.

Back to the topic...say Ozzie did bolt for the fish...who would you like to see brought in?