Don't tease me Trib...

Wanne

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Sep 23, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
third base.

Uribe late in 08, Beckham in 09, Crede in 06-07 when his back let him play and Fields in late 08. I'd say they managed to temporarily fill the hole for a while. Its nothing like the CF problems.

Edited by LittleHurt05

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2010 -> 04:37 PM)
Aside from CF (and the failure of Anderson) can you name a single position that has remained a gaping hole over a period of multiple years that hasn't been solved, even temporarily?

Every position is filled at least temporarily...that might be the problem in itself.

Another good Ozzie column. I agree with most of it except for his preferring KW to Ozzie. There's no comparison between the two there. Ozzie is much more valuable IMO.

I actually would love to see him with the Cubs if he leaves our Sox.

It would be entertaining and unlike some people who see sports as life and death, I find the entertainment value huge. For the most part, I've really enjoyed Oz's controversial rants. He always has something to say unlike 90 percent of managers.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,2537237.column

Also another excellent recent column criticizing KW

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,6765930.column

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 12:22 AM)
Every position is filled at least temporarily...that might be the problem in itself.

Ok...so go to a team like Minnesota, or the Rays, Yankees, Red Sox...how many of their positions are filled long-term and how many are filled temporarily? Based on that same standard at least.

The Red Sox have long term guys at: 2b, DH, 1b/3b (Youk, wherever they stick him), closer, RF, and SP. They've had rotating holes at SS, 3b, CF, LF, C, and they're going 6+ deep in the rotation because of injuries.

The Yankees have, thanks in no small part to an enormous amount of money, had long term guys at C, 1b, 2b, SS, closer and 3b. They've had rotating OF's for the better part of this decade, but recently have probably quasi-filled some of those spots with Swisher and Granderson. Practially their entire starting rotation is FA acquisitions that they paid handsomely for.

The Rays have changed enormously since their W.S. run if nothing else and they're looking at huge turnover this year. They've got 2 guys in their starting rotation who were there in 2008. They have a new RF, 2b, C, closer, and they've found no one to DH. They'll also be rotating out their LF and 1b this offseason.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
I heard something last night that even if Ozzie left and LaRussa left St. Louis, the chances of him managing the White Sox are beyond slim.

Why the hell would Tony leave St. Louis for the White Sox?

It makes absolutely no sense. St. Louis is a much better job.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
Why the hell would Tony leave St. Louis for the White Sox?

It makes absolutely no sense. St. Louis is a much better job.

I don't know why St. Louis is much better. The White Sox spend more on players and I would think if you had a choice, the majority of people would rather spend their summer in Chicago.

I don't know why St. Louis is much better. The White Sox spend more on players and I would think if you had a choice, the majority of people would rather spend their summer in Chicago.

True, but I'd rather just win my division and go to the playoffs constantly. To each his own.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
True, but I'd rather just win my division and go to the playoffs constantly. To each his own.

That doesn't make it a better job. The White Sox are a sleeping giant. They are a team that really should dominate their division and contend every season, and with the unbalanced schedule, there really is no reason why they aren't at least wild card worthy every year. If you had confidence in your abilities, the White Sox should appeal as the better job.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
That doesn't make it a better job. The White Sox are a sleeping giant. They are a team that really should dominate their division and contend every season, and with the unbalanced schedule, there really is no reason why they aren't at least wild card worthy every year. If you had confidence in your abilities, the White Sox should appeal as the better job.

The Cards pay well and have "tradition."

We do have a recent WS. But St. Louis is NL tradition.

Also Tony fancies himself a baseball god. He likes the NL strategy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)

Media and fan scrutiny would be the #1 reason that St Louis is better than Chicago. A player can't fart without Joe Cowley tweeting about it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)
Media and fan scrutiny would be the #1 reason that St Louis is better than Chicago. A player can't fart without Joe Cowley tweeting about it.

Cowley is now one week away from being an ex-White Sox beat writer. Its good for us, good for the player, good for White Sox management. The only one its not so good for is Oney. He'll need a new lackey to get his stuff in the paper.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 26, 2010 -> 08:11 AM)
Cowley is now one week away from being an ex-White Sox beat writer. Its good for us, good for the player, good for White Sox management. The only one its not so good for is Oney. He'll need a new lackey to get his stuff in the paper.

What do you mean? Because the season is over next week?

The Oz/KW drama will stretch into next year if Cowley's on the beat.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 26, 2010 -> 07:36 AM)
What do you mean? Because the season is over next week?

The Oz/KW drama will stretch into next year if Cowley's on the beat.

Cowley is done as a White Sox beat writer when the season ends. He's going to be moving on to something else with the Sun Times. Since beat writers typically take off the weekends when the team is at home, its possible we are only 5 days away from being free of Oney's, I mean Cowley's propaganda concerning the White Sox, perhaps forever. Hopefully they won't give him a column. I heard he's going to college sports.

Edited by Dick Allen

Reinsdorf lets his general manager hire and fire managers. Larussa was fired when Hawk Harrelson was a one year GM. It broke Reinsdorf's heart but he let Hawk have his way. He would love to get Larussa back, there has been talk of it before as the two remain close.

Larussa has peaked in St. Louis and does not want to wait out a rebuild there. He is near the end and I think would love to finish up right where he started it all. I'm not predicting it, but it is not "beyond slim".

QUOTE (since56 @ Sep 26, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)
Reinsdorf lets his general manager hire and fire managers. Larussa was fired when Hawk Harrelson was a one year GM. It broke Reinsdorf's heart but he let Hawk have his way. He would love to get Larussa back, there has been talk of it before as the two remain close.

Larussa has peaked in St. Louis and does not want to wait out a rebuild there. He is near the end and I think would love to finish up right where he started it all. I'm not predicting it, but it is not "beyond slim".

I'm just relaying some info I received that was sourced from someone who would know a lot better than any of us on this board. Up until then, I thought just like you, although I don't think that much of LaRussa as a manager.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 26, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
And he's in a town that has an unhealthy personal worship of their baseball players and managers.

I don't know if rich ballplayers and managers consider worship of the fans unhealthy.

They like it. Strokes their egos. And their wives like being important as well.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 26, 2010 -> 02:02 PM)
I don't know if rich ballplayers and managers consider worship of the fans unhealthy.

They like it. Strokes their egos. And their wives like being important as well.

stop trolling for arguments. This really has nothing to do with the conversation at hand and everyone knows you are just looking for someone to argue with this position

Of the Sox managers over the past 30 years, we're discussing the two best. Do you want old and experienced, or still rough around the edges? I don't believe Ozzie is built for the long haul. No way he's still managing in 25 years. I'd have to see who else is mentioned, but I'd like to see Tony on the short list.