Middle School, Politics, and Observations

Texsox

So I was speaking with my 8th graders and asked who their Mayor is. 2 in 105 actually knew his name. A small handful incorrectly guessed the previous mayor. They walked/rode past literally dozens of signs on their way to school last year.

County Judge (head of county gov't) zero

Governor? about 5 or 6

Senators? Zero

Congressman? 1

President? about half. BTW when they say the Pledge of Allegiance they are looking at the flag and a picture of the President.

Kids, kids, kids

I definitely could've told you that Clinton was president and I think Edgar was governor, I really doubt if I could've told you what congressional district I was in or who was in that position (Jesse Jackson Jr. got elected when I was in h.s. though), I might've been able to tell you one senator but not both (I knew Carol Moseley-Braun). Everyone knew Daley was the mayor of Chicago although I lived in the suburbs at the time. I couldn't have told you jack diddly s*** about local government, though.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
So I was speaking with my 8th graders and asked who their Mayor is. 2 in 105 actually knew his name. A small handful incorrectly guessed the previous mayor. They walked/rode past literally dozens of signs on their way to school last year.

County Judge (head of county gov't) zero

Governor? about 5 or 6

Senators? Zero

Congressman? 1

President? about half. BTW when they say the Pledge of Allegiance they are looking at the flag and a picture of the President.

Kids, kids, kids

I place the blame squarely on their history teacher.

IKBIC®

I probably would have known the Congressman because I met him and because everyone in NW Indiana seemed to be using his free blue pencils.

I wouldn't have known either Senator.

I probably would have known the mayor based on a combination of street signs and the fact that I had a friend who's father was the city engineer.

Not being critical, but genuinely curious....how does it benefit an 8th grader to know who their senator or representative is? I know this is something we teach but why do we feel this is important knowledge at this age?

If I was in 8th grade I would see no benefit to knowing this information outside of being able to pass a test.

Edited by Bighurt500Hrs

QUOTE (Bighurt500Hrs @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 01:04 AM)
Not being critical, but genuinely curious....how does it benefit an 8th grader to know who their senator or representative is? I know this is something we teach but why do we feel this is important knowledge at this age?

If I was in 8th grade I would see no benefit to knowing this information outside of being able to pass a test.

part of the job of a democracy is to prepare their citizens for their responsibility in the government.

QUOTE (Bighurt500Hrs @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)

Good point. But can't we say that about every subject? Do they need algebra or to know where the planets are?

In middle school, kids are beginning to understand there is a bigger world than just what they can see. They also are trying to figure out where they fit now and where they will be fitting as adults. Understanding the society in which they live is a big part of that. Knowing that there are people representing them, and who should be thinking of them, helps in that. I also want them to understand how to work within the system for their rights. It's about helping them discover the world.