Official Squared Circle Thread

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 02:07 AM)
Well I wouldnt go that far.. for the most part they have kept the two main titles on their top talents.. but man the IC title use to be the tits.. the battles Razor Ramon and HBK had over it.. hell Razor and Double J.. it use to be prestigious and now its just kinda like here you have it for a while since we dont have anything to do with you right now..

My only gripe with any of these titles these days is that no one gets a serious run anymore.

When the world title changes hands 16 times in the last two years, it tends to decrease the importance in my eyes.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 11:19 PM)
My only gripe with any of these titles these days is that no one gets a serious run anymore.

When the world title changes hands 16 times in the last two years, it tends to decrease the importance in my eyes.

absolutely

Im not a fan of that either

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
absolutely

Im not a fan of that either

A five-day title reign (that was actually a 2-day reign) really cheapens a title in my eyes as well.

Another gripe I have is Vince's weird problem with the word "belt". He throws a hissy-fit if anyone refers to the leather thing with the gold plates on it as a belt or strap. Apparently, Vince thinks calling the belt a belt (or a strap) is old-time hokey carnival speak. That's asinine, IMO.

I heard on Formerly Creative (a GREAT podcast created by former WWE writer David Lagana) that Paul London once was busted open legit during a match and did a really good intense, bloody backstage promo, only to have Stephanie squash it because London said that "______ will never take this belt from me". She told Lagana "You know I can't show that to Vince - he said BELT." and that was the end of that promo. To me, it's ridiculous to hear an announcer say that "Christian hit Randy Orton with the WWE title". Noooooo, he hit him with the BELT that represents the title!

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
Seeing Sarah Palin travel across the country in this big bus makes me wonder if she body slammed Yokozuna or something.

35.jpg

For some reason I thought this was the coolest thing ever at 9 years old.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
A five-day title reign (that was actually a 2-day reign) really cheapens a title in my eyes as well.

Another gripe I have is Vince's weird problem with the word "belt". He throws a hissy-fit if anyone refers to the leather thing with the gold plates on it as a belt or strap. Apparently, Vince thinks calling the belt a belt (or a strap) is old-time hokey carnival speak. That's asinine, IMO.

I heard on Formerly Creative (a GREAT podcast created by former WWE writer David Lagana) that Paul London once was busted open legit during a match and did a really good intense, bloody backstage promo, only to have Stephanie squash it because London said that "______ will never take this belt from me". She told Lagana "You know I can't show that to Vince - he said BELT." and that was the end of that promo. To me, it's ridiculous to hear an announcer say that "Christian hit Randy Orton with the WWE title". Noooooo, he hit him with the BELT that represents the title!

haha wow, I never even caught on that no one has been saying belt

Ive got a good feeling that once Vince is out of the equation thinks will change for the better.. especially if Trips is the new man in charge

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 01:41 AM)
haha wow, I never even caught on that no one has been saying belt

Ive got a good feeling that once Vince is out of the equation thinks will change for the better.. especially if Trips is the new man in charge

Yeah, I think HHH has a respect for wrestling that Vince seems to lack. I'm hopeful that whenever Vince retires/dies, Steph and HHH can put the "wrestling" back in World Wrestling Entertainment.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 07:16 AM)
Yeah, I think HHH has a respect for wrestling that Vince seems to lack. I'm hopeful that whenever Vince retires/dies, Steph and HHH can put the "wrestling" back in World Wrestling Entertainment.

Oh definitely, you know HHH respects the hell out of the business.. ide imagine that once Vince is gone it will most certainly get back to more wrestling based..

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
I think of the Smackdown title as the new version of the Intercontinental championship. It seems as though that's how they also think of it.

I used to view Smackdown as today's IC caliber but view Randy Orton as a WC caliber wrestler. It was obvious when Edge retired and Orton was drafted to Smackdown that he was going there to be the champion. I think everyone saw that coming. I just don't see anyone else at his caliber in Smackdown though so its kind of sad. I really wanted Santino to go to Smackdown to get more airtime too (not saying he's a star, he's just my favorite).

If it was up to me (and I know its not), I'd have the following titles: WC, IC, tag team, TV, and cruiserweight. I am sure I am much more of a traditionalist (relative to wrestling at its peak) than todays audience.

Riley! Randy! Riley! Randy! Jimmy! I'm really enjoying R Truth lately. I know he's meant to come off as crazy but he's become very entertaining to me.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 10:05 PM)
SuperCena wins main event for the 278 straight week................. :snow

Thought for sure Punk would come out and cost him that match. Punk vs. Cena for the title in Chicago. Cena gonna get boo'd out of the place and probably go over. Sad

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 03:57 AM)
Thought for sure Punk would come out and cost him that match. Punk vs. Cena for the title in Chicago. Cena gonna get boo'd out of the place and probably go over. Sad

Every card I have been too in Chicago, the crowd hates Cena 90%.

So, yeah, um, this "Quit Watching Wrestling" thing hasn't worked out so much for me. I saw an abundance of wrestling last night on Raw and with Miz as/was champ, Christian having great matches with Orton, and now Punk in the main event scene, I'm gaining hope for this company.

Even got decently priced tickets for MITB.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
So, yeah, um, this "Quit Watching Wrestling" thing hasn't worked out so much for me. I saw an abundance of wrestling last night on Raw and with Miz as/was champ, Christian having great matches with Orton, and now Punk in the main event scene, I'm gaining hope for this company.

Even got decently priced tickets for MITB.

Unless they come (or have come) to some secret contract extension, the main event Punk run will be short-lived.

What I would do is re-sign Punk secretly, have him win the title by some underhanded method at MITB, leave the company with the belt, then have the E strip him of the title and send people after him on the indy scene trying to get their property back. I know it won't happen because it would require the E having to co-operate with "small time promotions", but I think it would be fun to see guys like Miz, Sheamus, Christian, etc. doing run-ins on indy shows trying to get the belt back for Vince.

so, the cm punk leaving the wwe situation, a work or for real? he seems sincere, but this could turn into a tremendous program if the wwe lets punk do what he wants with it.

i just cant see punk going to tna or back to roh

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 06:53 PM)
so, the cm punk leaving the wwe situation, a work or for real? he seems sincere, but this could turn into a tremendous program if the wwe lets punk do what he wants with it.

i just cant see punk going to tna or back to roh

I have to think that if they mentioned his deal on tv that they extended him with an easier work schedule, but who knows. I hope he doesn't go. He is the only guy in the E who gives realistic promos.

Punk v. Cena will be epic in Chicago. I haven't watched a full episode of Raw/Smackdown in months, but I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on some tix for MITB.

Last night on Twitter Punk posted something along the lines of making history of July 17th & "going out w/ a bang"

I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight behind it, but back in '05 Punk posted the same exact message the night before he won the ROH title. So we'll see what happens.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)
I have to think that if they mentioned his deal on tv that they extended him with an easier work schedule, but who knows. I hope he doesn't go. He is the only guy in the E who gives realistic promos.

Meltzer hasn't heard of any extension being done but seems to think there's a good chance he'll stay when a month or so ago he was gone. It would be a shame if he left.