Official Squared Circle Thread

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
I haven't followed WWE since it stopped being good in the late 90's....but why is this such a big deal? I mean...it's all fake...Punk isn't really walking out with the belt. He wouldn't have won the match if he was really leaving, so I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Punk's promos the last month have been about as real as it gets in wrestling, not to mention they were about as good as any since...I don't even know but they were unbelievable.

Like I said before, it's hard to explain if you don't follow too much but if you've ever read or followed any of the behind the scenes s*** that goes on and then listened to Punk the last month, you'd know why it's such a big deal.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
Punk's promos the last month have been about as real as it gets in wrestling, not to mention they were about as good as any since...I don't even know but they were unbelievable.

Like I said before, it's hard to explain if you don't follow too much but if you've ever read or followed any of the behind the scenes s*** that goes on and then listened to Punk the last month, you'd know why it's such a big deal.

But that's the thing....if all the behind the scenes s*** was real, he wouldn't have won the match. If he was leaving the WWE, he wouldn't have won the belt last night so it's all just a storyline. If it was real it'd be cool I agree, but the fact that he won the belt means it's all just a part of the story.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)
But that's the thing....if all the behind the scenes s*** was real, he wouldn't have won the match. If he was leaving the WWE, he wouldn't have won the belt last night so it's all just a storyline. If it was real it'd be cool I agree, but the fact that he won the belt means it's all just a part of the story.

No, his promos have been worked shoots. Yes, it's part of a story line but the context of what he's saying was very, very real and a lot of it has been stuff that wrestling fans have been saying for years and years and that's why everyone fell so in love with what was happening, not to mention his delivery of the promos were absolutely perfect.

As for him coming back, yes, that seems very likely at this point but his original contract was indeed set to expire at the end of last night and for once nothing was leaked on the internet and absolutely nobody knew what was going to come of this whole story line. And last nights ppv was pretty much what the fans wanted from top to bottom and that's something that hasn't happened in this company in a long time, they actually executed a ppv card and the main storyline to perfection.

So basically, you add up the facts that there was a ton of realism in this storyline + the execution by Punk + this ppv being in Chicago + the E actually pulling it off to perfection and you have probably the best angle since the attitude era.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
I haven't followed WWE since it stopped being good in the late 90's....but why is this such a big deal? I mean...it's all fake...Punk isn't really walking out with the belt. He wouldn't have won the match if he was really leaving, so I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

This is pretty much where the angle took off:

and continued here:

and here:

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)

In case you havent noticed, all of us in this thread know it is fake. WWE Wrestling is a shoot industry and always has been. We want quality storylines, quality promos, and quality wrestling/performances. All three of these areas have been noticeably lacking in the past 10 or so years with an exception here and there(most of HBKs big works, Rock coming back, Flairs retirement). Punk got our attention, and has kept our attention for the better part of a month now, which is actually quite a while in the WWE nowadays. There was real elements to the story, Punk has been very vocal about being unhappy with his character development, and frankly he said some stuff a few weeks ago that could have gotten most WWE wrestlers fired on the spot. Vince (smartly) noticed that it gained a lot of steam and a lot of attention, and capitalized on pretty much every bit of it. And we all loved it.

So, coming in here and saying "You know its all part of the story, right?" is kind of like going into the TV thread and saying "you know that Seinfeld show wasnt real, right?". Of course we know. It is a show, it is entertainment, and even though a lot of us have sworn we wont be sucked back in(Brian cough cough), we arent going anywhere

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
For those at the event, was I the only one who thought people were going to act very stupid if CM Punk lost? I'm not talking about full-scale riots....but it was definitely an intense atmosphere.

My buddies and I were discussing how we were legit worried about little kids or women in Cena shirts if Punk were to lose. The crowd was crazy, probably very drunk and wrestling fans in general are quite the group of characters to say the least.

I was another who said he was done watching, and for a good while I did stop. I read spoilers and results and not much was keeping my attention. Two guys who did were/are The Miz and Punk. When I saw that promo Punk did on the ramp, it brought back everything I love about wrestling and I was sucked back in. There is still a TON of garbage in wrestling (Sin Careless, 99% of divas matches, 87% of TNA) but when something is based in reality, built up carefully and executed perfectly like this whole Punk angle is, it's easy to love it. CM Punk is the best thing happening in wrestling today because he loves wrestling and it shows - he was a fan, still is a fan and is not ashamed of it. He's the best talker in the business right now, if you ask me. His only drawback in my opinion is he's not good as a face. Vince has to be careful not to weaken his heel elements if he wants to turn him good - he has to be that Austin-style good guy who gets cheered because of his own personality and the fact that he fights bad guys.

Oh, and I read on Punk's Twitter that he's going to the Cubs game today, so no Punk on RAW - which is the right move to further the storyline. Tonight is Cena's day of reckoning.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 03:47 PM)
Oh, and I read on Punk's Twitter that he's going to the Cubs game today, so no Punk on RAW - which is the right move to further the storyline. Tonight is Cena's day of reckoning.

I read that as well but I wonder if you'll get him via satelitte at some point. I agree though, as much as it will suck if he's not on the show, it really makes the most sense to continue the angle.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
Critic, you don't have to worry about Sin Careless for a while

I know - there are rumors that they won't even bring him back to TV after the suspension.

All over the WWE Universe, Superstars are relieved that they won't suffer any moves from The Man Of 1,000 Botches".

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 07:14 AM)
Kudos to Vince for not only not messing the angle up, but apparently making it pretty damn good! From the attempted screwjob to ordering del Rio to cash in the case, to Punk booting him and escaping before the case could be cashed in, it all makes sense and was well done!

Now to see what VinnyMac does from here - so far, so good!

Also, a big HELL YEAH for Christian winning the belt - even better IMO that he won it on a DQ! Furthers the chickens*** heel persona and gives him the shine he kind of needed to keep the character hot.

If the WWE is smart, they keep running with this. Having Christian be so afraid to lose the title that he'll do anything to keep it.

From CM Punk's twitter last night:

b09zy.jpg

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)
I watched this at home & almost got chills due to how insane the crowd was for Punk. They made the right move giving him the belt. Now it's time to see how they play it from here on out.

I have this funny/hopeful feeling we will be seeing this rematch....

...in a RoH ring, for the WWE Title

my text after my brother told me bryan was in the money in the bank "I will get on a flight and go wherever it happens if Danielson wins and goes to face punk in roh"

thats my dream angle right now...and theyd bring in a new wave of roh(former mostly) guys like Tyler Black, Colt Cabana, Chris Hero, and Claudio Castagnoli and more, and they go back to focusing on wrestling

if you pause at 317, im the guy in the red...this was in highland, IN

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

I'm seriously so shocked that the E keeps on delivering right now and this is with out Punk on tv tonight. Fantastic once again.

Think the most shocking thing of all is that Cena actually referenced TNA. Speaking of Cena, I know he's beyond hated on this board but besides some of the corny one liners he's thrown around, he's actually been damn good since the start of this as well. Not even close to Punk's level but I feel that he at least deserves a bit of kudos since no one else has said it yet.

I still have no idea where they're going with this and that's what makes this so compelling.

It's an interesting turn of events, but it kind of s***s on the Punk angle a little bit. Vince has made this about Vince. Kind of reminds me of Hogan/Dixie. Not sure I like it, I'll have to see how this plays out. It's nowhere near what I would have done, though.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 07:47 AM)
I was another who said he was done watching, and for a good while I did stop. I read spoilers and results and not much was keeping my attention. Two guys who did were/are The Miz and Punk. When I saw that promo Punk did on the ramp, it brought back everything I love about wrestling and I was sucked back in. There is still a TON of garbage in wrestling (Sin Careless, 99% of divas matches, 87% of TNA) but when something is based in reality, built up carefully and executed perfectly like this whole Punk angle is, it's easy to love it. CM Punk is the best thing happening in wrestling today because he loves wrestling and it shows - he was a fan, still is a fan and is not ashamed of it. He's the best talker in the business right now, if you ask me. His only drawback in my opinion is he's not good as a face. Vince has to be careful not to weaken his heel elements if he wants to turn him good - he has to be that Austin-style good guy who gets cheered because of his own personality and the fact that he fights bad guys.

Pretty much said the same thing after Edge retired, but this angle has brought me back in for the moment.

Seriously, it's the best thing they've done in Wrestling for at least 10 years I reckon, or at least the Attitude Era. I haven't seen a crowd reaction at a Wrestling Event as I saw at MITB for a long, long time.

They've got to run with it though, if I see CM Punk back on Raw next week because VKM isn't there anymore, that's nothing than a copout and losing a chance to develop one of the best storylines further.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 02:02 AM)
It's an interesting turn of events, but it kind of s***s on the Punk angle a little bit. Vince has made this about Vince. Kind of reminds me of Hogan/Dixie. Not sure I like it, I'll have to see how this plays out. It's nowhere near what I would have done, though.

Eh, I disagree. It still all ties into Punk-Cena, it's just an interesting way to keep things going with out Punk actually being there, which as we talked about made the most sense to continue the storyline.

I'm too lazy to type it again, so I'll copy/paste what I wrote at WSI about it:

I would have done things a little slower. Last night would have been Vince upset and despondent about Punk leaving with the title. Then on Raw, I would have had Punk send an email to the Raw General Manager with a video file of himself hanging out at Wrigley Field with the "championship". Over the next couple weeks, Punk sends videos of himself on vacation with the belt, making Vince more and more furious. Vince can then order the tournament to crown a new champ, which Punk would mock in subsequent videos. Finally Vince snaps and starts punishing everyone responsible - he puts Cena and Del Rio in handicap matches to get squashed, he gets more and more belligerent with guys like Slaughter and Laurinitas, and then finally, he orders Laurinitas to have a match against Kane or Henry. THAT's when I have HHH step in and relieve Vince of his duties. Then HHH can start to reach out to Punk, telling him that he may carry a belt around, but the real champion is the one who's in WWE defending the title. Tell him stuff like right now he's the same as some guy who bought a replica title on wwe.com, stuff like that. Play on his competitive spirit and ego and eventually Punk comes back to show who is the true champion.

That's how I would have booked it, anyway.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
I'm too lazy to type it again, so I'll copy/paste what I wrote at WSI about it:

I would have done things a little slower. Last night would have been Vince upset and despondent about Punk leaving with the title. Then on Raw, I would have had Punk send an email to the Raw General Manager with a video file of himself hanging out at Wrigley Field with the "championship". Over the next couple weeks, Punk sends videos of himself on vacation with the belt, making Vince more and more furious. Vince can then order the tournament to crown a new champ, which Punk would mock in subsequent videos. Finally Vince snaps and starts punishing everyone responsible - he puts Cena and Del Rio in handicap matches to get squashed, he gets more and more belligerent with guys like Slaughter and Laurinitas, and then finally, he orders Laurinitas to have a match against Kane or Henry. THAT's when I have HHH step in and relieve Vince of his duties. Then HHH can start to reach out to Punk, telling him that he may carry a belt around, but the real champion is the one who's in WWE defending the title. Tell him stuff like right now he's the same as some guy who bought a replica title on wwe.com, stuff like that. Play on his competitive spirit and ego and eventually Punk comes back to show who is the true champion.

That's how I would have booked it, anyway.

That would have absolutely worked as well. All I'm disagreeing with you about is that I don't think this squashes the Punk angle at all, if they do this right everything can still all tie in very nicely.