Gavin Floyd

fathom

And DJ Carasco didn't cost us one of our top prospects in Brandon Allen...not Top 3-4, but he was at least a solid prospect.

KW doesn't like to admit his trades were busts.

There's also the problem we will probably lose both Jenks and Putz from the roster, Sale will be in AAA in all likelihood, so we need some RH pitchers to fill out the pen.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 07:54 PM)
They didn't want to give DJ Carrasco $1 million for the same role. Of course, they had alternatives.

Pena is way better than Carrasco. I do really get the feeling that we have seen the last of at least two of our bigger dollar pitchers, including Jenks.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
Read that Floyd is still having soreness behind the shoulder. Hopefully it's no big deal if they haven't done an MRI, and he's had shoulder pain for a week now.

*Stomach turning alittle bit*. Keep up the updates fathom. (or whomever else!)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)
Well, he has certainly been better in long relief than short. Maybe converting to a starter is not the worst idea ever.

Just to say again...I think this is only true because his bad outings are always short ones, not because his long outings are especially good.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)
Just to say again...I think this is only true because his bad outings are always short ones, not because his long outings are especially good.

Having watched a lot of games this year, I disagree. Its when he comes in, in close games, in the 6th/7th/8th, where he seems to struggle. That's my take anyway. I suppose you could go back and try to slice his numbers by what inning he started pitching, but that would take more time than I am willing to put in.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 08:59 AM)
Having watched a lot of games this year, I disagree. Its when he comes in, in close games, in the 6th/7th/8th, where he seems to struggle. That's my take anyway. I suppose you could go back and try to slice his numbers by what inning he started pitching, but that would take more time than I am willing to put in.

Here's a few more recent examples.

June 30th, Sox down 3-1 to the Royals, Pena comes on in the 7th inning, team already losing, Kendall singles, Butler singles, 3 run home run to Jose Guillen, and that's his outing.

June 11th against CHC: Sox up 10-2, Pena comes in for the 8th, gets 1 out; 3 others reach.

July 24, Oakland, Pena comes on in the 2nd inning to relieve Garcia, down 4-2, allows 1 inherited runner to score, then gives up 4 more runs of his own.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 08:07 AM)
Here's a few more recent examples.

June 30th, Sox down 3-1 to the Royals, Pena comes on in the 7th inning, team already losing, Kendall singles, Butler singles, 3 run home run to Jose Guillen, and that's his outing.

June 11th against CHC: Sox up 10-2, Pena comes in for the 8th, gets 1 out; 3 others reach.

July 24, Oakland, Pena comes on in the 2nd inning to relieve Garcia, down 4-2, allows 1 inherited runner to score, then gives up 4 more runs of his own.

So that's two outings of three making my case - he does poorly in late innings. Then one bad outing on 7/24.

Also, looking at the numbers I showed earlier, it appears that in terms of long relief, he did well at first, had like 3 or 4 bad outings in a row, then was very good again.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
So that's two outings of three making my case - he does poorly in late innings. Then one bad outing on 7/24.

Also, looking at the numbers I showed earlier, it appears that in terms of long relief, he did well at first, had like 3 or 4 bad outings in a row, then was very good again.

And just to say my point 1 more time...his long relief outings are good outings because he gets pulled early in his bad outings. I'll leave it there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 08:11 AM)
And just to say my point 1 more time...his long relief outings are good outings because he gets pulled early in his bad outings. I'll leave it there.

The ideal analysis here, is one that would be time-consuming (I think). You'd need to go through his outings and see how he performs when he comes in, say, before the 6th, versus in the 6th or after. I think that, combined with the length-of-outing analysis I did, would give you the complete picture.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 01:07 AM)
And DJ Carasco didn't cost us one of our top prospects in Brandon Allen...not Top 3-4, but he was at least a solid prospect.

KW doesn't like to admit his trades were busts.

There's also the problem we will probably lose both Jenks and Putz from the roster, Sale will be in AAA in all likelihood, so we need some RH pitchers to fill out the pen.

The key point here is "cost us a top prospect" I think we have about traded away all our top pitching prospects at this point and will be waiting a year or two or three for some minor league phenoms to develop ---- and then get traded

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 08:43 PM)
Anyone ever hear an update on how Floyd's meeting with Dr. Yocum went? Hopefully no news is good news.

There was an injury update attached to the bottom of most of the "Ozzie Guillen to return for 2011" articles.

Gavin Floyd left his Sept. 20 start at Oakland in the first inning after throwing just 7 pitches.

Floyd has inflammation in his throwing (right) shoulder and is done for the season.

"It's nothing like surgery or anything like that," Floyd said. "I just have to be even more adamant about my shoulder work."

Bobby Jenks (irritated ulnar nerve) has not pitched since Sept. 4 and he's also likely through for the year.

"If we were in a better situation I would want to get back as soon as possible," Jenks said. "But at this point I just want to be able to get off the mound a few times and go into the off-season knowing that I'm healthy."

Gordon Beckham said his sore right hand is feeling better and he'd like to play before the season ends.

"I swung today and it felt the best it's felt," said Beckham, who hasn't played since Sept. 15.