Walker May Retire -- according to the Sun Times

shago

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably best. This team actually hit, as a group, better than expected on the season as a whole. By all accounts, Walker worked his tail off. And contrary to the jokes seen on this site, I'm sure he wasn't exactly preaching lift and pull.

But he did have some consistent flaws on his teams, like a complete lack of hitting in April-May. Hopefully any new coach can address that.

Thanks for all you did, Greg.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
Probably best. This team actually hit, as a group, better than expected on the season as a whole. By all accounts, Walker worked his tail off. And contrary to the jokes seen on this site, I'm sure he wasn't exactly preaching lift and pull.

But he did have some consistent flaws on his teams, like a complete lack of hitting in April-May. Hopefully any new coach can address that.

They put up way more runs this year than anyone expected. I'm more afraid of who they bring in than anything. We all know it won't be anyone with major league experience, because we never hire those kind of coaches.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
They put up way more runs this year than anyone expected. I'm more afraid of who they bring in than anything. We all know it won't be anyone with major league experience, because we never hire those kind of coaches.

I think the reason that Walker was so popular with the players is that he didn't challenge them enough. Walker should absolutely no ability to help our younger players overcoming the adjustments the league was making to them in a timely period, so I am very happy to get a new perspective into the organization.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)

And a complete lack of hitting every September

Thanks Greg,

Contrary to popular belief a coach is only as good as his players. From all accounts you were hard working and tried to instill some better fundamentals into the Sox players. Sox offense did better than expected this year, so I guess its one of those, grass is always greener.

Hopefully you stick around the organization in some capacity and the Sox are able to find a new hitting coach.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)
Thanks Greg,

Contrary to popular belief a coach is only as good as his players. From all accounts you were hard working and tried to instill some better fundamentals into the Sox players. Sox offense did better than expected this year, so I guess its one of those, grass is always greener.

Hopefully you stick around the organization in some capacity and the Sox are able to find a new hitting coach.

As usual, amen Badger, the voice of reason in a fire everybody world.

Assuming that this team scores at least 20 in the next 12 games (which honestly might be an actual assumption at this point) this team is on pace to either meet or slightly out-perform the run total i projected for it. Which means Walker probably got as much out of them this year as he could. I do agree that it's time for a change.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 04:31 PM)
Comment on Badger's post, not mine. Please.

You don't think he made great points?

I got tired of seeing our hitters look terrible every April and September. Why do we have that issue every single year? What exactly was so great about Walker in your opinion?

Edited by BigSqwert

Well he was quoting my comment, which never said that Walker was great.

Merely stated that a hitting coach is only as good as the players he is given.

I cant really think of many players who didnt hit well with the Sox but then went on to improve drastically (Swisher?). You cant polish s*** (well you can as proven by Mythbusters, but I digress).

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)

I was referring to greg's overall attitude that as long as someone has a Sox jersey on they're infallible (with the exception of Mark Teahen and Manny).

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)

Merely stated that a hitting coach is only as good as the players he is given.

I cant really think of many players who didnt hit well with the Sox but then went on to improve drastically (Swisher?). You cant polish s*** (well you can as proven by Mythbusters, but I digress).

Yes, Swisher is a great example. You could also say that the Twins hitting coach has helped Thome, as I swear he's shortened his swing this season.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
I was referring to greg's overall attitude that as long as someone has a Sox jersey on they're infallible (with the exception of Mark Teahen and Manny).

Or Linebrink. Or Pena. Or Juan Pierre. Or Putz when he's sucking (he's not criticism-free to me unlike the majority of the board) or Rios (though I let fathom do the Rios bashing since nobody else will say an ill word ever about Rios). Are those enough examples for you since you brought it up?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 09:50 PM)
Or Linebrink. Or Pena. Or Juan Pierre. Or Putz when he's sucking (he's not criticism-free to me unlike the majority of the board) or Rios (though I let fathom do the Rios bashing since nobody else will say an ill word ever about Rios). Are those enough examples for you since you brought it up?

So anyone that didn't play on the 2005 Sox?