Walker May Retire -- according to the Sun Times

shago

I've said AJ has been Mr. Double Play and he won't be back. I criticized Contreras.

I'd need a whole roster of that team to comment further.

Since the team is 11 out I'll even say Ozzie has ultimately failed this season. Team has been too dysfunctional. And that KW has failed big time in standing pat. Those are all 05 guys.

Besides I was answering his point. He says I don't criticize anybody besides those two. He is wrong.

I don't think Walker is great. I just think his presence doesn't really matter much either way in terms of our team's hitting. By all accounts he puts in the time big time and makes everything available for a hitter to improve.

I think that's a stretch to suggest Thome a veteran got fixed by the Twins' hitting coach. Thome got revitalized cause a.) he's damn good. b.) he had some extra motivation this year provided by the Sox saying he wasn't good enough. I'm sure that motivation could carry the Twins to a WS title. Twins are good and they are the team of destiny this year. I'm sure a proud self motivated man like Thome has taken great personal delight in shoving it up the Sox's butts.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
I think that's a stretch to suggest Thome a veteran got fixed by the Twins' hitting coach. Thome got revitalized cause a.) he's damn good. b.) he had some extra motivation this year provided by the Sox saying he wasn't good enough.

Bah, come on Greg, you missed the biggest, most obvious one; he was revitalized because the team didn't over-use him early in the year and wear him down.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 03:48 PM)
I think the reason that Walker was so popular with the players is that he didn't challenge them enough. Walker should absolutely no ability to help our younger players overcoming the adjustments the league was making to them in a timely period, so I am very happy to get a new perspective into the organization.

What makes you think the Sox will go outside of the organization for a new hitting coach?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
What makes you think the Sox will go outside of the organization for a new hitting coach?

Even if it's Chambliss, it's at least a different voice than what our major league players have heard for a long time. All along, I've said that it's hard to tell if Walker is a great hitting coach or a terrible one, but the one thing that is pretty obvious is that something is broken with the way the team starts and finishes every season, as well as the progress of our young players.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
Hitting coach replacement = Frank Thomas? It wouldn't shock me.

Bah, I always thought Frank would make a terrible hitting coach...out of a combination of everything coming so naturally to him and the fact that he had such a unique swing himself.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 06:38 PM)
Like Jeff Bagwell, who Astros players LOVE

I don't think Bagwell's swing was nearly as out-of-the-ordinary as I think Thomas's swing was, do you disagree? The big thing for Frank is that he got away with a lot more head and body movement than most players can ever get away with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 11:39 PM)
I don't think Bagwell's swing was nearly as out-of-the-ordinary as I think Thomas's swing was, do you disagree? The big thing for Frank is that he got away with a lot more head and body movement than most players can ever get away with.

Maybe that's the way they should swing the bat? :lolhitting :lol:

I know what you are saying though. But, my thought on the Walker issue is maybe he knows they are looking for a fall guy?

Maybe the can get Rudy from the Cubs. He took a bunch of lousy hitters and made them HOFers.......wait. If Walker doesn't come back, there will not be any significant offense improvement unless better offensive players are brought in. If he leaves, I think it will also signal the end of Paulie in Chicago. That's his guy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)
Hitting coach replacement = Frank Thomas? It wouldn't shock me.

Please.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
Bah, I always thought Frank would make a terrible hitting coach...out of a combination of everything coming so naturally to him and the fact that he had such a unique swing himself.

The (only) good part about Frank's time in the announcer's booth was hearing how he would approach each pitcher we were facing and showing his displeasure when our hitters didn't go up to the plate with any strategy in mind. Frank is not simply talent and a unique swing, it's quite clear from listening to him he always had a solid gameplan as well. That is exactly what I want from our hitting coach, more so than someone who tinkers with mechanics (exhibit A: Flowers). The fact that slow-throwing lefties have ruined us for years now suggests we could benefit from a new coach with as much MLB experience as possible who can provide our team with a different and better offensive approach

QUOTE (3E8 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 08:30 PM)
Please.

The (only) good part about Frank's time in the announcer's booth was hearing how he would approach each pitcher we were facing and showing his displeasure when our hitters didn't go up to the plate with any strategy in mind. Frank is not simply talent and a unique swing, it's quite clear from listening to him he always had a solid gameplan as well. That is exactly what I want from our hitting coach, more so than someone who tinkers with mechanics (exhibit A: Flowers). The fact that slow-throwing lefties have ruined us for years now suggests we could benefit from a new coach with as much MLB experience as possible who can provide our team with a different and better offensive approach

I like many of your points, especially about gameplan. It almost seems like our guys are protecting the plate from pitch 1. Not too many tough outs. Do you think becoming a tough out can be taught? Imagine if all our guys fouled off as many pitches as Juan Pierre? Ho! Guys like Matusz and Guthrie wouldn't be going into the 8th inning with shutouts. So maybe the current mindset is wrong. I'm all for a change.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
out of curiousity, what makes a good hitting coach? What's the pre-requisite? (spelling?) What qualifications should one have?

If I had a good one, I would rather have them in the farm system.

Everyone thought that new coach the Cubs got would make a difference. He didn't.

I'd love to see the Big Hurt as a hitting coach but expose him to the farm system.