Walker May Retire -- according to the Sun Times

shago

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
I don't think I've ever seen the word "fluke" used so often. The 2005 team was quite good, and they were almost completely dominant in the playoffs. But everything for that team clicked at the same time. Maybe not a fluke by definition, but it wasn't just the fact that the team was better than every other team.

Every championship has a degree of flukiness about it. Check out the Blackhawks Stanley cup winning journey. TONS of flukes contributed to their run, as is with every championship.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 06:55 PM)
Every championship has a degree of flukiness about it. Check out the Blackhawks Stanley cup winning journey. TONS of flukes contributed to their run, as is with every championship.

Perfectly articulated Rock! You look at the World Series games, and we were a pitch or two away from losing each and every game. We had a lot go our way in 2005, but the key is we capitalized and won the whole thing. Some teams do have magical years, yet can't win the championship.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)
Jim Thome, Jermaine Dye, and Paul Konerko.

I don't think 2005 was a fluke...but that was an easy answer.

That's not what i meant, Balta. Two of those players gave key contributions to the 2005 team. I was simply saying that both those teams had enough talent to be legit challengers for consecutive years.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
Please refrain from calling people idiots. Depending on how someone defines fluke, them yes, a once in 100 years could easily be called a fluke.

This is very normal for him. In such a short time on the board, I don't think I've seen anyone use the terms dumb, stupid, and idiot anywhere near as much as him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
This is all about what "fluke" means. If you think it means the 2005 team somehow got lucky, then you are delusional. The team that went 1st place wire to wire, won 99 games and went 11-1 in the post-season was without a doubt the best team in baseball in 2005.

Now, if by "fluke" you mean that 2005 was an unexpected and/or unlikely event compared to other seasons for the Sox, then obviously yes, it was a fluke. Lots of key players had career years, most specifically in the pitching staff.

TRUTH, 100% spot on and couldn't have said it better myself.

It was an unexpected championship, fine, I guess.

Would last year have been another fluke, then?

People were saying that if could just make it to the playoffs, with Peavy we had the rotation built for the postseason and could win it all.

You keep hearing that we are a team built to win in the postseason if we can just get there.

So last year would not have been a fluke?

I hate the talk of flukes. Go through all the champions in all sports the last 20 years and you'll find a lot of "unexpected" champions.

Again, what would Butler basketball have been last year if the ball goes in at the buzzer? A fluke? Or an unexpected, sensational champion?

I think fluke is a derogatory word. So it was an unexpected title in many respects. Big deal. Welcome to championship play.