WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 23, 2010 -> 12:20 AM)
Even when the Sox win, Kotsay and Teahan screw us over. Worse chance at a higher pick thanks to them.

A higher pick means nothing. There are too many variables in the baseball draft to think a spot or two matter.

I'd think you would say Teahen "screwed us over" by maybe impressing somebody to not get rid of him this winter. Hopefully Kotsay simply won't be invited back.

Thanks for the victory today, though, Mark and Mark. I'll take it. This team won't lose 13 in a row and tie for the all time record White sox losing streak.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)
A higher pick means nothing. There are too many variables in the baseball draft to think a spot or two matter.

I'd think you would say Teahen "screwed us over" by maybe impressing somebody to not get rid of him this winter. Hopefully Kotsay simply won't be invited back.

Thanks for the victory today, though, Mark and Mark. I'll take it. This team won't lose 13 in a row and tie for the all time record White sox losing streak.

Guess I should've used green.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)

Oh great, posts like this again

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 07:46 PM)
What an awesome win! Can you feel the electricity on the south side!!! We are going to get that wild card.

In the pregame last night, Steve Stone said that it was a big game to win. Now I've never won a CY Young award, but I would say that today's game was equally big. :gosoxretro: :headbang :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2010 -> 04:15 AM)
I just don't see why a couple draft slots matter. There are too many examples of busts in the first round anyway.

Wasn't Ben Davis a first round draft pick?

I just can't believe you'd be foolish enough to continue to have this thought process after the early contributions we've received from Beckham and Sale the past few years.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
I just don't see why a couple draft slots matter.

It matters cause that at least gives the sox flexibility to sign a type A free agent next year without giving up their first round draft pick. I don't even care at the moment which prospect they take when the time comes, but it would definitely help just in case they can't re-sign Konerko (or if you need to trade guys to have less money to sign guys) if you want to get an Adam Dunn for example and have Rizzo and the Nats pick compensation picks instead of your first round pick in a very weak farm system as it is. There is a reason why the sox couldn't particularly get a bat this year cause of the lack of prospects, and the good one(s) they had, they traded for another SP and had no other prospects really (you can't trade Sale yet, and KW balked on Viciedo) to offer teams. Don't get it twisted Greg (as I know you like to do) I'm not rooting for this team to lose, but know there is at least a bright side to this season if they do. Shame really, cause the A's would have been up to the 17th pick and Detroit won again today.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 23, 2010 -> 04:21 AM)
I just can't believe you'd be foolish enough to continue to have this thought process after the early contributions we've received from Beckham and Sale the past few years.

But we've been through this before.

How do we know Beckham is not still available one or two slots either way.

Ditto Sale.

And if we don't get them, do we get somebody equally good?

I mean lets say we are 10 out at the all star break. Would you be hoping we lose every game the rest of the way just to assure the No. 1 pick?

I think it's too many ifs and buts to think that way.

It's simpler to go out and play baseball and win.

That other stuff is all crystal ball.

Now the thing about compensation, I can buy that argument in some ways I guess.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
But we've been through this before.

How do we know Beckham is not still available one or two slots either way.

Ditto Sale.

And if we don't get them, do we get somebody equally good?

I mean lets say we are 10 out at the all star break. Would you be hoping we lose every game the rest of the way just to assure the No. 1 pick?

I think it's too many ifs and buts to think that way.

It's simpler to go out and play baseball and win.

That other stuff is all crystal ball.

Now the thing about compensation, I can buy that argument in some ways I guess.

For the record, Beckham was projected to go 5, 6, or 7 in a lot of drafts.

Sale was projected to go 4. It's a miracle he fell to us.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)
Sadly that proves Gregs point more than anything. Guys fall. It happens. You just gave two good examples.

Very rarely though do good signable prospect guys fall. It's usually guys who either want over slot money or guys represented by Boras.