Root for or against the Twins in the playoffs?

VAfan

I hate the Minnesota Twins. I really hated their ridiculous ballpark that helped them win all those division crowns this decade. I hated the fact that they would win the division based on a huge home field advantage, then invariably get exposed in the playoffs by better teams from the East or West. I hated them for depriving the Sox of the chance to face off in the playoffs, where I think we often had a stronger team but just couldn't get keep it together for 162 games.

Yet, this year my hat's off to them. They have won the division going away, even after the Sox caught and passed them before the ASB, and looked to have a team that could beat them down the stretch. They have won without their former MVP at first base for the entire second half. The Sox put a lot of pressure on them by winning the first 7 games of a road trip to Cleveland, Boston, and Detroit in late August, but the Twins matched the Sox win for win, and it was the Sox who blinked first, sending us into a tailspin that we never recovered from. Meanwhile, the Twins have caught and passed the Yanks and Rays for best record in the AL, with Texas a distant runner up. And they have won it all on a normal outdoor grass field ballpark.

So, this year, I think I'm rooting for the Twins in the AL playoffs. If the Sox aren't in, then a team from the AL Central should rule. We will have lost to the best. (I say "I think" b/c when the playoffs start, I may have a hard time hoping Minny wins anything.)

Feel free to blast me. But that's where I am at the moment.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wont blast you, just disagree. I want them to lose, and to get swept in the process. And I want Gardenhire to make a ridiculous cheap move(like he always seems to vs us) that totally backfires in his face.

And I want Texas to represent the AL. Not likely, but thats what I want

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
I wont blast you, just disagree. I want them to lose, and to get swept in the process. And I want Gardenhire to make a ridiculous cheap move(like he always seems to vs us) that totally backfires in his face.

And I want Texas to represent the AL. Not likely, but thats what I want

What do you mean by a ridiculous cheap move?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
I want Texas to represent the AL. Not likely, but thats what I want

I would also love to see Texas represent the AL.

I simply cannot root for the Twins after all the crap I've taken from Twins fans this season.

Also they were just on the cover of SI. Would love to see that curse work its magic! :)

Would be some great material to needle with if they do end up being one and dones.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
Usually I root against the Twins in the playoffs this year I wouldn't mind seeing them win so that Thome can get a WS championship.

This. I can't stand them and always root against them in the playoffs. "Six division titles don't mean a thing without the ring" (Copyright Ron Harper)

But it would be great to see Thome finally get the ring that Joe Table lost him.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
What do you mean by a ridiculous cheap move?

Like constantly throwing at our hitters knowing that it will provoke a response from Ozzie, also knowing that both teams will be warned before Ozzie has a chance to respond

I either want them to win the whole thing or get swept. I don't want any in between. If they make it to the World Series, but lose, people will still claim that "the Twins haven't won anything...all they do is get to the postseason and lose" even though getting to the postseason is like 95% of the battle and getting to the World Series is a hell of an accomplishment in its own right.

I CAN'T root for the NL, with the one and only exception being the Mets in '69. As much as I hate the Twins (and even more the Red Sox and Yankees) I've pulled for them before and will again. This year, probably just because of Thome I'd like to see the Twins win it all, besides a World Series win for the AL Central would be nice. I'm strictly an AL guy.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
i want the Twins to get all the way to the World Series and lose Game 7. And Lose Game 7, because they didn't have home field advantage in large part to the gopher ball that Matt Thornton threw in the All Star Game

I love this!

I guess I should root for the central division champs but I have hated the Twins so much, so hard, and for so long I hope they go three and out and then their plane goes down on the flight home.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)
Like constantly throwing at our hitters knowing that it will provoke a response from Ozzie, also knowing that both teams will be warned before Ozzie has a chance to respond

It's hard to tell how much of that is Gardenhire and how much is the players, but I didn't they usually issued a warning on the first hit batter.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 06:38 PM)
It's hard to tell how much of that is Gardenhire and how much is the players, but I didn't they usually issued a warning on the first hit batter.

The guy knows how to work over the Sox, and that is very much to his credit. I dont like it but it works for the division. I just would like to see it blow up in his face because I dont like his smug smirk

I always go for the Central division champ, and when they get knocked out the AL rep. If the Brewers were playing in the WS, they would be the one NL team I would root for as long as the weren't playing the White Sox.

Maybe if the Twins won it all, Ozzie would be embarrassed by his actions and shut up about his contract. If Gardenhire won a WS to go along with his 6 division titles in 9 years, and he never has had more than a 2 year contract, maybe Ozzie would reflect. I doubt it. I really think Oney is his handler right now as silly as it seems. Oney did hint about a Guillen reality show about a month back. For his own sake, I hope Ozzie listens to and trusts JR right now or years from now he will regret he did not.

Edited by Dick Allen

f*** the Twins, I want to see them swept! I actually cheered for them last year in the one game playoff because I loved watching the Tigers collapse, but I then cheered against them as they were swept out of the first round. I love Big Jim, I'd love to see him get a ring; and My Dad and Aunt are Twinks fans so I know it'd be cool for them; but I don't care. I hate the f***ing Twins.