Root for or against the Twins in the playoffs?

VAfan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Twinsfan1965 @ Sep 26, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
Why am I a troll?

Because I believe Valencia will be better then Morel?

Very odd comment.

Sorry, now that I've read your other posts, I see you're not.

In past forms I've been on though, anyone with a name like yours and post count like that would be instantly called a Troll for baiting.

My apologies, welcome to SoxTalk.

Really don't care who wins now that the Sox won't be in the run.

I'll enjoy some fantastic baseball that's for sure though. The level of teams making the playoffs this year just seems so much better this year, maybe it's just me but it seems like that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 26, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
At least it's a point that can be argued.

Here's my counter-point. Valencia is a guy who came up very slowly through the minors. Both Valencia and Morel have career minor league OPS right around .820. Morel, however, shot upwards; he's putting up .825-.850 OPS in AA and AAA at age 23 this year. At age 23, Valencia was starting the season in high-A ball. Normally, hitting at a higher level at a younger age is an indicator of greater degree of success.

It's actually an interesting comparison the more I look at it. Valencia was putting up decent numbers in AA at age 23, but the Twins took a lot more time with him and kept him down there, despite frankly having a weakness at 3b most of these years. The Sox have been much more aggressive with promoting Morel than the Twins were with Valencia.

I wonder if that is a reflection of how the Twins are able to get these guys who come up and perform right away so often, versus the Sox where we bring up a Beckham or someone like that and have to endure months of struggling.

Valencia yesterday had two homeruns and two errors. Gardy didn't want to bring him up at the start of the year because of his defense. Then when he was called up he played defense above his head. Now he is booting balls all over the place.

People keep saying the Twins have their normal good defense this year just because they have only something like 73 errors for the season. The truth is that the defense is suspect. They can't make the plays in the field. Alexi made more big plays at shortstop then the whole Twins team put together.

Valencia failed an easy double play ball today and then we gave up a 3 run shot.

In the playoffs, late in games I'm going to be peeing in my pants in fright when AROD lines a bullet into left field. God I'm getting sick worring about it.

Sorry..off subject.

High hopes for Valencia but Craig Nettles he is not nor will ever be.

Edited by Twinsfan1965

The first world series I remember is the 1991 classic with the Twins and the Braves. Kirby Puckett was my favorite player besides Frank Thomas during that era. Even now knowing the long standing history between the White Sox and Twins, I can't help but have a little soft spot for them when they're in the playoffs and the Sox aren't.