Vote fraud

EvilMonkey

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 09:21 AM)
After viewing all of the if you elect a Republican, all of these bad things will happen that pretty much negates the "no benefit" point, at least as it applies to the left wing, who coincidentally is leading the charge in most of these illegal registrations. It would be pretty easy to convince people that they could lose their jobs, programs, or any other perks they get if they don't do this. Viewing the commercials on Social Security running in my area targeting seniors, and then thinking how easily many seniors are taken in for scams, it isn't hard to envision multiple scenarios of people being willing to commit voter fraud to "protect themselves."

Definitely

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
Either that...or because it rarely happens.

I enjoyed this Brennan Center bit for the actual numbers.

http://www.redstate.com/laborunionreport/2...-progressivism/

Now I get why the left is so scared. Actually sitting down and reading the stories about what is going on in Houston is a real wake up call. There are already implications leading to both the SEIU and ACORN, not to mention a prominent Democratic fundraiser. Throw in a dash of potential arson, and you are really cooking.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)
http://www.redstate.com/laborunionreport/2...-progressivism/

Now I get why the left is so scared. Actually sitting down and reading the stories about what is going on in Houston is a real wake up call. There are already implications leading to both the SEIU and ACORN, not to mention a prominent Democratic fundraiser. Throw in a dash of potential arson, and you are really cooking.

And if charges are brought...it will be proof that voter fraud is commonplace and we need to disenfranchise hundreds of thousands more voters to make sure it never happens again.

OTOH, if no charges are ever brought, it will be proof that the Obama Administration doesn't want to enforce it's laws regarding voter fraud.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
And if charges are brought...it will be proof that voter fraud is commonplace and we need to disenfranchise hundreds of thousands more voters to make sure it never happens again.

OTOH, if no charges are ever brought, it will be proof that the Obama Administration doesn't want to enforce it's laws regarding voter fraud.

And how can they even be brought when the Justice department seems to not want to enforce those laws enough to even try? Maybe if they were white ZRepublicans, they might.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 03:16 PM)
And how can they even be brought when the Justice department seems to not want to enforce those laws enough to even try? Maybe if they were white ZRepublicans, they might.

Except for the judgements rendered in the cases that you're choosing to ignore...sure. As I said, if they bring charges...it proves rampant fraud. If they don't bring charges, it proves a coverup

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
Either that...or because it rarely happens.

I enjoyed this Brennan Center bit for the actual numbers.

THE BRENNAN CENTER FOR JUSTICE

Our Mission

The Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law is a non-partisan public policy and law

institute that focuses on the fundamental issues of democracy and justice. Our work ranges from voting

rights to campaign finance reform, from racial justice in criminal law to presidential power in the fight against

terrorism. A singular institution – part think tank, part public interest law firm, part advocacy group – the

Brennan Center combines scholarship, legislative and legal advocacy, and communications to win

meaningful, measurable change in the public sector

This the same Brennan Center that takes after its namesake who essentially founded Judicial Activism? That bills itself as non-partisian but is headed by an ex-Clintonite? The one that gets major funding from the Soros funded Open Society Institute? yeah, we can believe them. Afterall, they are a non-partisian group ONLY dedicated to righting wrongs, whatever they may be.

Funding

Individual Contributors

The heaviest funding for the Brennan Center for Justice comes from George Soros of the Open Society Institute.[17] Between 1999 and 2004, the Open Society Institute gave grants to the Brennan Center totaling $3,291,218.

Gail Furman, a child psychologist, wealthy Democratic party activist, and donor and board member for the Brennan Center, has collaborated on progressive efforts with George Soros, and at one meeting of the progressive Democracy Alliance, gave $25,000 to "remake Democratic politics." At the second meeting of Soros' Democracy Alliance in October 2005, Furman "demanded to know why the alliance wasn't creating a 'nerve center' that could book progressives on TV news shows".[18]

Institutional Funding

Other major supporters include:

The Carnegie Corporation of New York

The Ford Foundation

Pew Charitable Trusts

The Joyce Foundation

The Rockefeller Foundation

The Goldsmith Foundation

The Annie E. Casey Foundation

The Public Welfare Foundation

NY Community Trust

The New York Foundation

The Atlantic Foundation of New York

The Clark Foundation

The Nathan Cummings Foundation

The JEHT Foundation

The Scherman Foundation

The Gimbel Foundation

The Deer Creek Foundation

The Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Krantz Foundation

The Kansas City Community Foundation

The Mertz Gilmore Foundation

The Rubinstein Foundation

The Sprague Educational and Charitable Foundation

The Gerbode Foundation

The Rosenberg Foundation

The Starr Foundation

The Heron Foundation

Between 2000 and 2003, these foundations gave over $8.5 million to the Brennan Center.[19]

http://judgepedia.org/index.php/Brennan_Center_for_Justice

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
I find it hilarious that people keep casting this as the evil left or the evil right. Both sides will have people who, if given the opportunity, will game the system. The key is making the system stronger. That means voter registration AND better oversight of the voting machines.

Actually, if people don't have enough interest to get up off their a$$es and register and vote on thier own, I don't want them voting. For either side. i want people to know enough about at least ONE thing in the election that they can talk about more than just spouting off Fox or CNN talking points. Although with the saturation of 'facts' from both sides, that is sometimes hard to happen. But if you need a third party to have to come to your door to get you to register, you should just stay home. if you are not interested enough to register, you are not interested enough to vote.

And I don't cast it either way, but you can't deny that a majority of the stories about this sort of stuff happen going one way only. You don't hear about Wal-Mart organizing busses to take their employees to vote, but you hear of ACORN and UNIONS rounding up old people and members to go vote enmass. You don't hear about College Young Republicans registering Alex Keaton to vote, but there is alwasy some progressive-leaning group that seems to register Mickey Mouse. And why do Democrats scream the loudest when you try to remove dead people from voter rolls, but not seem to care about getting overseas military ballots on time?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
Actually, if people don't have enough interest to get up off their a$$es and register and vote on thier own, I don't want them voting. For either side. i want people to know enough about at least ONE thing in the election that they can talk about more than just spouting off Fox or CNN talking points. Although with the saturation of 'facts' from both sides, that is sometimes hard to happen. But if you need a third party to have to come to your door to get you to register, you should just stay home. if you are not interested enough to register, you are not interested enough to vote.

And I don't cast it either way, but you can't deny that a majority of the stories about this sort of stuff happen going one way only. You don't hear about Wal-Mart organizing busses to take their employees to vote, but you hear of ACORN and UNIONS rounding up old people and members to go vote enmass. You don't hear about College Young Republicans registering Alex Keaton to vote, but there is alwasy some progressive-leaning group that seems to register Mickey Mouse. And why do Democrats scream the loudest when you try to remove dead people from voter rolls, but not seem to care about getting overseas military ballots on time?

While I generally agree with what you said, I find it troubling when we start limiting the public's rights. To organize, protest, etc are bedrock, cornerstone priciples of our country. I wish there was an easy way to do both, protect our rights *and* get people to go vote on their own.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)

The same can be said by the left about the right on the voting machines issues - lack of receipts, lack of oversight, lack of machines in poor wards. That tends to come mostly from the right, just as these voter fraud issues seem to come from the left.

These things can all be fixed, if we want to. You can require ID to vote, but make sure its not a poll tax - there are ways to do that. You can make ALL voting machines produce a paper receipt, and allow people to fix their votes if their receipt shows something wrong. You can make sure the allocation of voting machines to polling places is a standing, obvious ration to voting population in all locations.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
The same can be said by the left about the right on the voting machines issues - lack of receipts, lack of oversight, lack of machines in poor wards. That tends to come mostly from the right, just as these voter fraud issues seem to come from the left.

These things can all be fixed, if we want to. You can require ID to vote, but make sure its not a poll tax - there are ways to do that. You can make ALL voting machines produce a paper receipt, and allow people to fix their votes if their receipt shows something wrong. You can make sure the allocation of voting machines to polling places is a standing, obvious ration to voting population in all locations.

I agree that ID's should be made available for free if need be, but that there needs to be a way to verify that you are who you say you are. I also think the voting machines should have a receipt so that you, the evoter, can verify that it recorded your vote correctly. We are on the same page there. As for the lack of machines in poor wards, aren't they usually run by the Democrats? Why can't they get the machines there? Seriously, if there is a poor ward in Chicago that doesn't have enough voting machines, when the whole state is run by the Democrats, whose fault is that?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
You don't hear about College Young Republicans registering Alex Keaton to vote, but there is alwasy some progressive-leaning group that seems to register Mickey Mouse. And why do Democrats scream the loudest when you try to remove dead people from voter rolls, but not seem to care about getting overseas military ballots on time?

The "conservative" student government at IU when I was there submitted something like 25,000 registrations in 2002, most of them fraudulent. Out of all those applications...and all the hundreds of people in the same dorm as me...2 people turned out to vote. You didn't "hear" about it, because it only is useful publicly to smear particular groups that are disliked.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
I agree that ID's should be made available for free if need be, but that there needs to be a way to verify that you are who you say you are. I also think the voting machines should have a receipt so that you, the evoter, can verify that it recorded your vote correctly. We are on the same page there. As for the lack of machines in poor wards, aren't they usually run by the Democrats? Why can't they get the machines there? Seriously, if there is a poor ward in Chicago that doesn't have enough voting machines, when the whole state is run by the Democrats, whose fault is that?

The finger thing means the taxes!

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
While I generally agree with what you said, I find it troubling when we start limiting the public's rights. To organize, protest, etc are bedrock, cornerstone priciples of our country. I wish there was an easy way to do both, protect our rights *and* get people to go vote on their own.

I am not sure where I said anythgn about restricting people's rights, I was just stressing that I (as in me, my opinion) don't want you to vote if you can't even muster up enough energy to go register yourself and eductae yourself on at least one issue. Regardless of party.

A voter drive restriction would restrict my right to organize my neighborhood to go vote. When is giving a ride to someone too much help? Stuff like that.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
I am not sure where I said anythgn about restricting people's rights, I was just stressing that I (as in me, my opinion) don't want you to vote if you can't even muster up enough energy to go register yourself and eductae yourself on at least one issue. Regardless of party.

Here's the one problem with the receipt, well at least the one that I see. That receipt has to be left at the polling place or you could easily have the buying of votes, this time with proof of who you voted for. I'm not liking the receipt leaving with the voter. It kind of breaks down the secret ballot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
The "conservative" student government at IU when I was there submitted something like 25,000 registrations in 2002, most of them fraudulent. Out of all those applications...and all the hundreds of people in the same dorm as me...2 people turned out to vote. You didn't "hear" about it, because it only is useful publicly to smear particular groups that are disliked.

I know it isn't appropriate, but that is just funny to hear you of all people say.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)

Hahahaha, I am sure that the campus Republican group was so well loved on your campus. On almost ANy campus for that matter. I can probably find more stories about campus conservative groups being discriminated against, denied equal access,etc than I can voter frauds.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 06:48 PM)
Here's the one problem with the receipt, well at least the one that I see. That receipt has to be left at the polling place or you could easily have the buying of votes, this time with proof of who you voted for. I'm not liking the receipt leaving with the voter. It kind of breaks down the secret ballot.

I don't think anyone is saying to leave it with the voter. They see it from the printer, and hand it in with their little card key after reading it. Then its filed.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)

Honestly, I am not sure how it works now, in terms of getting voting machines in place, but I am pretty sure a lot of discretion is allowed to local county people, or state people. I am saying, less discretion should be allowed. There should be a simple formula used. X number of registered voters in a given polling locality, at Y people per machine, equals Z machines at that location.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)
Honestly, I am not sure how it works now, in terms of getting voting machines in place, but I am pretty sure a lot of discretion is allowed to local county people, or state people. I am saying, less discretion should be allowed. There should be a simple formula used. X number of registered voters in a given polling locality, at Y people per machine, equals Z machines at that location.

Aside from funding in the Help America Vote Act...most if not all voting machine types are chosen, programmed, and paid for at the local level. In terms of potentially opening paths for local election fraud, it certainly is something of a risk. In terms of preventing national election fraud...it could well be a good thing because it's hard to systematically reprogram a large number of machines if you only have access to a single city/county. In terms of having poor voters systematically disenfranchised because of long lines...it absolutely does, on the scale of at least hundreds of thousands of votes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 07:30 AM)
Aside from funding in the Help America Vote Act...most if not all voting machine types are chosen, programmed, and paid for at the local level. In terms of potentially opening paths for local election fraud, it certainly is something of a risk. In terms of preventing national election fraud...it could well be a good thing because it's hard to systematically reprogram a large number of machines if you only have access to a single city/county. In terms of having poor voters systematically disenfranchised because of long lines...it absolutely does, on the scale of at least hundreds of thousands of votes.

I didn't say you dictate to the local authorities which machines to buy, or when. I'm saying you dictate how many voters per machine as a minimum, and that the machine prints out a hard copy to show the voter and file. Those should be per se federal laws, IMO. The localities can decide where to put the polling places, what hours they are open, what brands of machine to buy, staffing the polls, etc.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 08:33 AM)
I didn't say you dictate to the local authorities which machines to buy, or when. I'm saying you dictate how many voters per machine as a minimum, and that the machine prints out a hard copy to show the voter and file. Those should be per se federal laws, IMO. The localities can decide where to put the polling places, what hours they are open, what brands of machine to buy, staffing the polls, etc.

The problem is...dictating how many machines there are per voter = dictating that large cities spend a couple million extra dollars on voting machines.

The HAVA provided some funding for some cities...but this is a problem that you need to throw a couple billion dollars at before it is gone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 07:46 AM)
The problem is...dictating how many machines there are per voter = dictating that large cities spend a couple million extra dollars on voting machines.

The HAVA provided some funding for some cities...but this is a problem that you need to throw a couple billion dollars at before it is gone.

Of all things to spend money on, I consider making sure people have the opportunity to vote to be awfully high on the list. This is basic stuff.