Garcia vs. Pena for 2011 rotation

striker

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer in the rotation (assuming price is the same)?

• Tony Pena
    • Freddy Garcia

Pena pitched pretty good again as a starter. Maybe he's a better fit for the rotation. If you have that one bad inning as a reliever your numbers look terrible. If you have that one bad inning as a starter your numbers look great.

If Peavy is healthy then we have Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Jackson, Pena and Sale as possible starters. That gives us leverage if we need to trade for a bat(s).

Honestly, I'd really rather have neither of them on the 2011 Sox. Pena has been acceptable enough that he's got one more year here, but this is his first arb-eligible offseason, so here goes his price. I can put up with 1 more year of him for a couple million, but he's no where near worth 2 years of arbitration.

Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Buehrle, Jackson is a mighty Starting 5. Sale makes that a mighty Starting 6. If someone is traded...it better be one Hell of a deal...then I'd consider either of them...but I'd still probably rather go with Sale. Makes zero sense to sign Garcia expecting him to only have that role for 2 months while you work sale out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 11:02 AM)
Garcia won't be back in 2011 unless something sets back Peavy pretty early on. The Sox don't need him.

I could see one of these options being exercised if the Sox decide to do a major overhaul and send out D1 or G in order to bring in a major bat somewhere.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 09:54 AM)
Garcia has been really really good this year and Pena has only started a couple three games for us. Garcia has the track record

Come on. He was more than serviceable when he was healthy and we got more out of him than we thought we would (and I am grateful for that), but he wasn't that good.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
Come on. He was more than serviceable when he was healthy and we got more out of him than we thought we would (and I am grateful for that), but he wasn't that good.

For a 5th starter in the American League? Yeah, he was pretty good at his role. Almost any team would have taken him as their 5th starter this season.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
For a 5th starter in the American League? Yeah, he was pretty good at his role. Almost any team would have taken him as their 5th starter this season.

He didn't specify that. He just said that he was really, really good. He wasn't. I did say that he gave us more than we would anticipate out of someone in his position and that I was thankful for it. I've actually said that multiple times.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
The most optomistic never would have expected the record out of Garcia this year. It should have put us over the top. That said, he really ran out of gas and his record will not show that. At best, he's long relief next year with Pena out the door.

He did not run ou of gas and comparing his record to the others in the rotation he handled things pretty well IMO

Tony's Pena's peripherals are awful this year. His walks are way up and his Ks are down. I'd like to know what the White Sox think the cause of that is. His low ERA in starts and extended relief is a mirage.

Here is his line for games with 3 IP or more.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...265,248,246,sum

Sure, that 3.08 ERA looks great. But what other numbers pop out? 30:22 K:BB in 52.2 IP. Ouch. .269 BABIP and 1 runner from an error/no out fielder's choice: he was lucky. GB/FB 1.12 so it's not as if his low K-rate was a result of inducing groundballs.

It's valuable to have a guy who can spot-start or throw long relief without s***ting the bed. I'm not saying they should get rid of him. But serious consideration as a regular starter? No thanks.

If they don't trade a starter, then I agree that it should be MB/Danks/Floyd/Jackson/Sale until Peavy is ready. You might want someone to push Sale in ST, but it doesn't seem like he needs pushing.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
Garcia won't be back in 2011 unless something sets back Peavy pretty early on. The Sox don't need him.

I'm almost positive that one of the starters (Floyd, Jackson, or Danks) is going to be dealt for a bat or some more talent to fill one of the many holes that the Sox have. So I wouldn't be so sure that Philo Beddo Freddo won't be back next season as insurance in case Peavy has fully recovered...

Keep telling yourselves Danks, Buehrle and Floyd are parts of a great starting rotation when Danks forgets how to throw strikes at the end of every season, Floyd always has a mid-season injury he tries to hide until it pushes him to miss whole starts, and our divisional rivals light up Buehrle every year like a Christmas tree

I don't see the results from this rotation to warrant calling them great, or LOL...last off-season, 'top 3 in baseball'

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
Keep telling yourselves Danks, Buehrle and Floyd are parts of a great starting rotation when Danks forgets how to throw strikes at the end of every season, Floyd always has a mid-season injury he tries to hide until it pushes him to miss whole starts, and our divisional rivals light up Buehrle every year like a Christmas tree

I don't see the results from this rotation to warrant calling them great, or LOL...last off-season, 'top 3 in baseball'

Um, that is terrible logic.

Every rotation and almost any starting pitcher can have a "what if" tag placed in front of them/him. When you have 4 starting pitchers capable of being lights out and Mark Buehrle as easily your 5th best pitcher you have one of the top rotations in the league.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)
Explain.

What explanation? Garcia had a stiff back and missed a couple starts. Overall he has done as good as any other and when the rest of the staff was sucking earlier in the season Garcia was the one who saved us. He was the 5th starter and did better then most 5th starters in the league. Remember his last game he went 6 solid innings and gave up one run. He has a winning record. I am not sure who you are trying to compare Freddie Garcia too

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)

Mark's career ERA is 3.84. His career ERAs against the divisional rivals are:

Indians: 4.68

Tigers: 3.01

Royals : 3.57

Twins: 4.09

If you combine all his numbers vs. those 4 teams, his career ERA vs. the AL Central is 3.87. His ERA vs. everyone else is 3.82. I dont see how that under 4 ERA and .05 difference constitutes getting lit up like a Christmas tree.

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
Keep telling yourselves Danks, Buehrle and Floyd are parts of a great starting rotation when Danks forgets how to throw strikes at the end of every season

I'll make sure to tell Gardy and the Twins that his 8 inning, 2 hit performance in game 163 a couple years back was just a fluke.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
Um, that is terrible logic.

Every rotation and almost any starting pitcher can have a "what if" tag placed in front of them/him. When you have 4 starting pitchers capable of being lights out and Mark Buehrle as easily your 5th best pitcher you have one of the top rotations in the league.

Most teams when they think of a great starting rotation wind up having a setup where there is a dominant guy at the top, maybe 1 more above-average guy, and then a couple iffy back of the rotation guys who tend to not even wind up with 25 starts.

The White Sox have taken a different tack. They were hoping that Peavy would fill that dominant #1 guy but that hasn't yet worked out...but even with that, if they don't have the true stopper, then they're expecting to be in a position where their 3-4-5 guys are better than the 3-4-5 guys of any team they're facing, because they might be bad for a #1, but they're really good for a #3.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
What explanation? Garcia had a stiff back and missed a couple starts. Overall he has done as good as any other and when the rest of the staff was sucking earlier in the season Garcia was the one who saved us. He was the 5th starter and did better then most 5th starters in the league. Remember his last game he went 6 solid innings and gave up one run. He has a winning record. I am not sure who you are trying to compare Freddie Garcia too

I'm not comparing him to anybody. I'm saying he ran out of gas, which was to be expected with the lack of work he's had in the last couple of years.