Konerko to address free agency before TH game

fathom

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
If Ozzie returning brings back Konerko, I'm okay with that. I'd like to see a two or three year deal for him, but if Ozzie isn't extended I wonder of Konerko would opt for just a one year contract.

Konerko isn't good enough to decide who manages him. I'm not saying that that is the case, just theoretically.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 10:12 AM)
Konerko isn't good enough to decide who manages him. I'm not saying that that is the case, just theoretically.

True. And honestly if Ozzie had decided to depart and Konerko decided to sign elsewhere because of that, I'd have to be a bit concerned about Konerko.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
If Konerko weren't to return because of Ozzie leaving I'd be perfectly fine with it. I don't see him matching this year's production next year or the year after and we'd have the money to go after Dunn.

See, value-wise, I think this isn't the case. I agree that PK is unlikely to put up 2010-like numbers in the next couple years. But, I also think that PK would sign with the Sox for a lot less than Dunn, and this team's financial constraints may make that the best move.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
See, value-wise, I think this isn't the case. I agree that PK is unlikely to put up 2010-like numbers in the next couple years. But, I also think that PK would sign with the Sox for a lot less than Dunn, and this team's financial constraints may make that the best move.

Plus...if the Nats offer Dunn arbitration...we don't lose a draft pick if we resign Konerko.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
What exactly is Konerko gonna address about free agency? Unless he and the Sox have worked out a deal, he has no idea what the Sox or any other teams will offer, so what can he really say about it??

He could announce that he's decided not to come back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
He could announce that he's decided not to come back.

Yeah, although it would be weird to announce that with 4 games left to play with said team. Just kind of a weird tidbit thrown in there, why is it before Thursday's game and not today or yesterday?? He is obviously coming off a monster year, but you can never be certain how the FA market will play out, especially at the age of 34.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
If Konerko weren't to return because of Ozzie leaving I'd be perfectly fine with it. I don't see him matching this year's production next year or the year after and we'd have the money to go after Dunn.

Agreed, though we are in the huge minority. I honestly hope Konerko gets all the money he can (and years) before he retires. And if thats with someone else, no-one should hold it against him.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
Agreed, though we are in the huge minority. I honestly hope Konerko gets all the money he can (and years) before he retires. And if thats with someone else, no-one should hold it against him.

Konerko is going to get 3 years, and I sincerely hope it's NOT the Sox that give it to him, despite him being a great player for us. We will be moaning about that contract in 2012 and 2013.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
Konerko is going to get 3 years, and I sincerely hope it's NOT the Sox that give it to him, despite him being a great player for us. We will be moaning about that contract in 2012 and 2013.

His defense is ridiculously good. Do you think he is going to break down suddenly? I don't see him as a much of a liability. He's one of the best.

I don't think it's all that complicated.

This is the last week of the regular season. They just returned from a road trip. He was likely getting multiple interview requests from all the local TV stations and radio stations to talk about his future.

Rather than talk about it three or four or five times, he probably asked if he could do one session about free agency and be done with it. Why he chose Thursday, who knows?

The only thing these guys ever say is they want to come back but they owe it to their families to test the market.

But if he wants to put some pressure on the Sox to resign him, now is the time to do it.

I wonder if the Diamondbacks would have any interest. He lives in Scottsdale during the off-season and I believe he grew up in the Phoenix area. That would seem enticing.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 05:36 PM)
I wonder if the Diamondbacks would have any interest. He lives in Scottsdale during the off-season and I believe he grew up in the Phoenix area. That would seem enticing.

They've already expressed interest in resigning Adam LaRoche, and they also appear to have Brandon Allen as a guy who's beyond where he can be in AAA and hitting positively this month. I'd be surprised if the DBacks would be spending money on FA's this year.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
His defense is ridiculously good. Do you think he is going to break down suddenly? I don't see him as a much of a liability. He's one of the best.

I don't think so. Other than the errors he saves from poor throws, which are very valuable, he's well below average defensively.

Edited by Jordan4life