Konerko to address free agency before TH game

fathom

Heard a Konerko clip on the radio just now that makes me think even more that he's gone. He basically said that after 2005, he would have felt incomplete if he left and went elsewhere. Now, he won't feel that way as his legacy as a White Sox has been cemented. Thanks for everything PK!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The spiteful part of me is anticipating Konerko's departure. When we cannot outbid for players on the market, there's no relief from within the organization, and our "core" (which was counted upon) is breaking apart, what will Williams do? Time for him to go to work.

Honestly, I expect Danks to be dealt for a bat. That's about the only way, aside from some lucky low-risk/high-reward move, that we're coming anywhere close to replacing Konerko's production. Let's not forget AJ, either, if he decides to leave. We'll have trouble replacing him.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I'm one of Paulie's biggest backers but giving him a 3 year contract at over $10 million a year isn't prudent. 6 months ago 95% of Soxtalk wanted the Sox to pay him to play for another team. I read a study and it seems in the post steroid, greenie era, the age players are most likely to hit a big wall is 35. Paulie is 35 next year. The get better on and off the field quote is pretty vague. It could mean several things. Maybe he's sick of the KW/Ozzie show. Paulie says almost every year how there is always something going on so the players are used to dealing with distractions. Maybe he's sick of those distractions. Maybe Thome is playing a part, although Thome has to be pretty happy where he is at. If I'm Paulie and I'm close with Thome, it would at least make me scratch my head when Ozzie keeps saying he made the correct choice with Thome and even took a mini rip at him when the Twins were in town, then says he would love to have Manny back. Really?

As for on the field personnel, Paulie has been quoted many times over the years the Sox didn't need any in season help, so he really shouldn't complain about that. I don't take these quotes as a he's leaving for sure type of thing. I think he needs to know who wants him and what they will pay for his services. He wants to win. If he thinks the Sox are lagging behind, he'll go someplace else. He says he may take less money, but I'm sure there's a limit as to how much less.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 06:54 PM)
I'm one of Paulie's biggest backers but giving him a 3 year contract at over $10 million a year isn't prudent. 6 months ago 95% of Soxtalk wanted the Sox to pay him to play for another team. I read a study and it seems in the post steroid, greenie era, the age players are most likely to hit a big wall is 35. Paulie is 35 next year. The get better on and off the field quote is pretty vague. It could mean several things. Maybe he's sick of the KW/Ozzie show. Paulie says almost every year how there is always something going on so the players are used to dealing with distractions. Maybe he's sick of those distractions. Maybe Thome is playing a part, although Thome has to be pretty happy where he is at. If I'm Paulie and I'm close with Thome, it would at least make me scratch my head when Ozzie keeps saying he made the correct choice with Thome and even took a mini rip at him when the Twins were in town, then says he would love to have Manny back. Really?

As for on the field personnel, Paulie has been quoted many times over the years the Sox didn't need any in season help, so he really shouldn't complain about that. I don't take these quotes as a he's leaving for sure type of thing. I think he needs to know who wants him and what they will pay for his services. He wants to win. If he thinks the Sox are lagging behind, he'll go someplace else. He says he may take less money, but I'm sure there's a limit as to how much less.

i agree with this post. paying someone 10 million during their 35,36 and 37 yr old seasons is crazy. he will slow down, he will diminish. what he did this season was awesome, came out of nowhere but at the money and years that he wants, i don't think we can justify keeping him. the chances of this season ever happening for PK are very very slim. 10% at most is my guess. we compared his OPS heading into this season against other 1B and paulie was very overpaid and very AVG or a tad below AVG. compared to others.

Like I said before.. I hope he gets as much money and as many years as possible with another team in FA. He more than deserves it. I've only got emotional once with a sox player leaving and that was Big Frank (for obvious reasons, and for childhood reasons). Buehrle is probably the only other player that I could see me getting somewhat upset about. (though not at the same level as Frank) Good luck Konerko on whatever you do. I would love to see how KW does with the team and the resources however (whether thats going younger/cheaper, trading prime talent for other pieces, etc..) should be an interesting winter once again.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 05:36 PM)
Honestly, I expect Danks to be dealt for a bat.

I love both of the younger starters, but I see Floyd being moved before Danks, with the latter getting an extension. If one of the two were to be moved I'd certainly rather see it happen like that. The return should be nothing less than a player who contributes and makes the Sox a better club at once, nothing less.

In a perfect world Danks, Peavy, Jackson, Buehrle, Floyd- that is a rotation that implies the team is serious about winning. This is of course assuming someone's nose, eye, or pitching arm doesn't randomly detatch (Peavy), no hitters and perfect games are kept to minimum (Buehrle), and others don't get traded for the sake of being traded just because (Jackson).

I get the feeling that if Konerko wants to stay here, he will, payroll be damned. Reinsdorf will do that for this guy. Konerko's statement today was nothing more than a canned statement that pretty much any good ballplayer stepping into free agency says.

I hope he's back for 2 years/reasonable $$$

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
If I was Konerko I would just say "Give me a reason to think this team will be good next year. I'll make my decision my X-mas, so let me see what team you have by then and then I'll decide where I am going".

He'd be stupid to give them till Christmas, because most teams have virtually finalized their rosters by then and aren't going to be looking to give out a big contract to a middle 30s 1Bman.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
I love both of the younger starters, but I see Floyd being moved before Danks, with the latter getting an extension. If one of the two were to be moved I'd certainly rather see it happen like that. The return should be nothing less than a player who contributes and makes the Sox a better club at once, nothing less.

In a perfect world Danks, Peavy, Jackson, Buehrle, Floyd- that is a rotation that implies the team is serious about winning. This is of course assuming someone's nose, eye, or pitching arm doesn't randomly detatch (Peavy), no hitters and perfect games are kept to minimum (Buehrle), and others don't get traded for the sake of being traded just because (Jackson).

I get the feeling that if Konerko wants to stay here, he will, payroll be damned. Reinsdorf will do that for this guy. Konerko's statement today was nothing more than a canned statement that pretty much any good ballplayer stepping into free agency says.

I hope he's back for 2 years/reasonable $$$

I love all his contributions, but I'll take no PK next year and some cash. I think we need a different leader in the clubhouse and it can't be Ozzie. We need someone who would order for a retaliation when one of our get hit. We need someone who won't take getting our asses handed to them. And we need someone who will b****slap someone for complimenting the Twins on how great they are.

BTW, Danks will be traded first. He'll demand more money and will be a pain to sign.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
We need someone who would order for a retaliation when one of our get hit. We need someone who won't take getting our asses handed to them. And we need someone who will b****slap someone for complimenting the Twins on how great they are.

BTW, Danks will be traded first. He'll demand more money and will be a pain to sign.

Not saying you're wrong at all, because the offseason warrants anything, but-

I remember Ozzie stepping into s*** after he was especially vocal about retaliation. I think his feelings on this matter were clear to the point that umpires may have shat, so to speak, on his parade by throwing out warnings early on. Guillen isn't broke but getting fined for thousands of dollars probably doesn't and shouldn't sit well with him. The uber-informative media (which as much as I'd like to rip, I can't because they're simply doing their job) lets everyone know the scent of Corky Miller's farts, so Guillen talking about how much better a Twins hitter would look with a fastball (not from MB) on his torso would probably make headlines in Bolivia, or Saturn . I think his message was made clear when (I can't recall his name off the top of my head) ran out of vagisil and couldn't quite locate a hitter and ended up the f*** off this team. I don't need to read it in the Tribune to know that Ozzie doesn't like his guys getting hit.

Similarly, ANY manager or coach is going to kiss the ass of the team that beats their team to win the division. What can one possibly do or say in such a situation? Final standings speak for themselves.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
He'd be stupid to give them till Christmas, because most teams have virtually finalized their rosters by then and aren't going to be looking to give out a big contract to a middle 30s 1Bman.

Ok, whatever, I just picked a random significant day of the year. Replace X-mas with Thanksgiving if you want, the point is still the same.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 01:20 PM)
Then your down an OF, and barring a creative move you'll be stuck with the likes of De Aza, Jones, Teahen, etc getting significant time there.

Jones has absolutely demolished Quentin in terms of value this year. They've been virtually identical at the plate, with Jones being insanely better in the field. I'd suspect De Aza is more valuable overall as a right fielder than Quentin as well. Teahen, I'm not so sure.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 06:36 PM)
Let's not forget AJ, either, if he decides to leave. We'll have trouble replacing him.

Really? I see about 10 free agent catchers who make about a third or less of what AJ does and they can all put up the .700 OPS you can expect from AJ (though he hasn't quite even produced that yet this year). We would have been better off with Castro starting all year. Flowers could put up a .691 OPS for the league minimum. If AJ were to come back it better be at a HUGE paycut.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 12:41 AM)
Not saying you're wrong at all, because the offseason warrants anything, but-

I remember Ozzie stepping into s*** after he was especially vocal about retaliation. I think his feelings on this matter were clear to the point that umpires may have shat, so to speak, on his parade by throwing out warnings early on. Guillen isn't broke but getting fined for thousands of dollars probably doesn't and shouldn't sit well with him. The uber-informative media (which as much as I'd like to rip, I can't because they're simply doing their job) lets everyone know the scent of Corky Miller's farts, so Guillen talking about how much better a Twins hitter would look with a fastball (not from MB) on his torso would probably make headlines in Bolivia, or Saturn . I think his message was made clear when (I can't recall his name off the top of my head) ran out of vagisil and couldn't quite locate a hitter and ended up the f*** off this team. I don't need to read it in the Tribune to know that Ozzie doesn't like his guys getting hit.

Similarly, ANY manager or coach is going to kiss the ass of the team that beats their team to win the division. What can one possibly do or say in such a situation? Final standings speak for themselves.

Ozzie said he doesn't order retaliations at all anymore. That's up to the players to protect each other. He said he didn't want to get in trouble, but if a teammate feels that another teammate was hit intentionally, and wants to order a hit, then he's all for it. The only time when a hit was ordered by another player was when Konerko got hit by the Twins.

And Ozzie amongst others on this team compliment the Twins so much on how great they are. I didn't hear much of "We're a great team, we can beat them." It was more like "They're a great team. I told everyone in Spring Training. Oh yeah, we're in first now, but the Twins are coming." It was like they conceded the division before they got their asses handed to them. And PK was as much of a factor in that as Ozzie.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 06:17 PM)
Beltre leaves, Youk to 3rd. There's a lot of talk Dodgers might be interested in him, as Loney is likely going to be dealt.

Moving Youkilis to 3b is on the list eventually, but I think they want AGon to do that with. They're not going to sign Konerko and wind up blocking the guy that would fit even better.

And the Dogers? Spending $30 million? This offseason? Are you paying attention to what you wrote?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 12:10 AM)

I'm not sure I agree with you at all here. Teams are no where near finalizing their rosters at X-Mas, particularly in the FA market, and particularly in offseasons with questionable team revenue and spending figures. A lot of the guys who are up there in age wound up signed in january last year because teams waited on their asking prices to drop.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
And the Dogers? Spending $30 million? This offseason? Are you paying attention to what you wrote?

Yep, if they trade Loney and Kemp, non-tender Theriot, like what's been discussed, they'd be on their way to clearing out payroll. The Dodgers mediation between the owners will be done by then as well, I believe.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
Yep, if they trade Loney and Kemp, non-tender Theriot, like what's been discussed, they'd be on their way to clearing out payroll. The Dodgers mediation between the owners will be done by then as well, I believe.

The mediation will be done but the ownership situation will be far, far, far from settled. Even if the arbitration case is over...they're still going to be finding moneys to pay each other, possibly even to the point that the team will have to be sold. ANd trading Loney and Kemp is not exactly the set of moves I'd make if I wanted to field a competitive team next year to show an aging 1b he should come there over other places.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 12:57 AM)
Ozzie said he doesn't order retaliations at all anymore. That's up to the players to protect each other. He said he didn't want to get in trouble, but if a teammate feels that another teammate was hit intentionally, and wants to order a hit, then he's all for it. The only time when a hit was ordered by another player was when Konerko got hit by the Twins.

And Ozzie amongst others on this team compliment the Twins so much on how great they are. I didn't hear much of "We're a great team, we can beat them." It was more like "They're a great team. I told everyone in Spring Training. Oh yeah, we're in first now, but the Twins are coming." It was like they conceded the division before they got their asses handed to them. And PK was as much of a factor in that as Ozzie.

What the media reports (and we hear) and what really goes on and is said in a clubhouse by the manager to his players are two different things.

I don't need to hear him fuss about it through the media to know that he gets pissed off when the Sox have a hit batsmen everyday. He doesn't, and shouldn't publicly announce that he'll be throwing at the opposing team. That would be stupid. The pitchers know whats up and what he would like to see them do.

As for the Twins stuff, I don't have a problem with that at all. They're good and they take the division more often than not so why would anyone care to hear anything said otherwise? At the end of the day the manager and the players want to win against them, probably more than against another team. Hawk does fellate them verbally, but again, they're good and it shouldn't change the effort put in by the team to beat them.