Konerko to address free agency before TH game

fathom

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
I don't think so. Other than the errors he saves from poor throws, which are very valuable, he's well below average defensively.

I can't imagine there's another 1B in the game who's better at making the throw to second on the 3-6-3/3-6-1 double play, the vast majority of 1B have a LOT of trouble with that throw (Adam Dunn hit a baserunner just yesterday) but I can't remember Konerko f***ing up that throw much over the past 10+ years.

I can live with a lack of range if he can make the throw to 2B and pick nearly everything out of the dirt, that's a 1B primary responsibility more so than ranging to his sides on grounders. When you weigh the defensive responsibilities of a 1B he's well above average.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)
I can't imagine there's another 1B in the game who's better at making the throw to second on the 3-6-3/3-6-1 double play, the vast majority of 1B have a LOT of trouble with that throw (Adam Dunn hit a baserunner just yesterday) but I can't remember Konerko f***ing up that throw much over the past 10+ years.

I can live with a lack of range if he can make the throw to 2B and pick nearly everything out of the dirt, that's a 1B primary responsibility more so than ranging to his sides on grounders. When you weigh the defensive responsibilities of a 1B he's well above average.

I thought you were dead? Yeah, you're right about the throws to 2B. I was thinking mostly range, in which even for a 1B, he has none. But dude said "ridiculously" good. Just had to comment.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
It wouldn't surprise me if Konerko says he's going elsewhere this offseason, and the Sox will make the final road trip a pseudo "PK Appreciation Weekend".

It would surprise me greatly if one of our team figureheads announced he planned on leaving the team with games remaining in the season.. I see no way that happens..

What I hope he says is that he's coming back and there is a deal in the works. What I think will happen is that he'll say he's going to test the market but "would like to stay in Chicago".

If he does return I hope it's a two year deal with an option, around $10 million a year.

QUOTE (T R U @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 03:39 AM)
It would surprise me greatly if one of our team figureheads announced he planned on leaving the team with games remaining in the season.. I see no way that happens..

I agree, no way that's what happens.

Might be a slight, slight chance he's retiring, but I doubt it.

More likely, he'll say he's going to test the market. The way the Sox org works, they probably don't know yet if they can offer him anything substantial, because they don't yet have a target "number" for 2011. Therefore, PK really has no choice but to test the market.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 08:37 AM)
More likely, he'll say he's going to test the market. The way the Sox org works, they probably don't know yet if they can offer him anything substantial, because they don't yet have a target "number" for 2011. Therefore, PK really has no choice but to test the market.

I don't think I believe this one bit. They may not have a target number down to the tenth of a cent, but they certainly know the ballpark on their spending numbers. Think, for example, about how they operated in 2009; they took on substantial salary for 2010-2013 mid-season, and justified it at the time by saying they knew enough about what they were going to spend.

I think they know pretty much what they have to spend. What they don't know is the level of offers that PK14 will receive.

Haven't yet seen it mentioned...but perhaps he announced this at week's start because an extension has been agreed on in principal and all involved said they needed until Thursday to get all the lawyers' approvals, etc. What a great start to the off-season that would be with four games left to go this year.

I can't believe Konerko could be allowed to leave after all's he's meant to this organization, his numbers this year, and the ease with which the organization could drop $3M on Manny for, really, 12 singles over two weeks in games that meant anything at all. I really think it'd be hard for Kenny to justify letting the captain walk when 2-3 years at $10M/year(ish) would probably get it done and allow the classiest White Sox player since Harold Baines finish his career where he should.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
Haven't yet seen it mentioned...but perhaps he announced this at week's start because an extension has been agreed on in principal and all involved said they needed until Thursday to get all the lawyers' approvals, etc. What a great start to the off-season that would be with four games left to go this year.

I can't believe Konerko could be allowed to leave after all's he's meant to this organization, his numbers this year, and the ease with which the organization could drop $3M on Manny for, really, 12 singles over two weeks in games that meant anything at all. I really think it'd be hard for Kenny to justify letting the captain walk when 2-3 years at $10M/year(ish) would probably get it done and allow the classiest White Sox player since Harold Baines finish his career where he should.

$30 million is quite different from $3.5 million.

Ramirez was brought in as a last hope to make the playoffs, konerko would be signed as a keystone piece for the next 3 years. It is up to the Sox to figure out if they believe Konerko can repeat his success and stay healthy, while also figuring out if a replacement level player could come in for him and that the money would be better spent elsewhere (RF, DH, Bullpen, etc).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 07:37 AM)
I agree, no way that's what happens.

Might be a slight, slight chance he's retiring, but I doubt it.

The sox have like $90M commited to payroll next year without addressing 1B, C, and closer. If they re-up Konerko, AJ, and Bobby payroll is going to be way over where the sox operated, your talking $115M before arbitration raises and any additions to the roster. The sox are not really a $125M opening day payroll team, thats more like the Angels, Dodgers, Mets area. We typically operate in the $90-$100M range so that being said before the sox are ready to do anything this offseason they are probably going to have make some serious changes or face some difficult decisions, they just cant keep everyone.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
$30 million is quite different from $3.5 million.

Ramirez was brought in as a last hope to make the playoffs, konerko would be signed as a keystone piece for the next 3 years. It is up to the Sox to figure out if they believe Konerko can repeat his success and stay healthy, while also figuring out if a replacement level player could come in for him and that the money would be better spent elsewhere (RF, DH, Bullpen, etc).

We already know what a player like Konerko is worth on the market. Look at Bobby Abreu's 2009 year and then contract he signed right after. In 2009 Abreu turned 35, that season he hit .293/.390/.435 with 15 HR, 103 RBI, and 30SB. After the 2009 season he received a 2 year $18M contract.

In 2010 Paul Konerko turned 34. That season he hit .310/.390/.581 with 38 HR and 107 RBI, and 0 SB (Duh). Now compare the two situations and you essentially have the ballpark figure for what konerko is worth. Its pretty obvious hes getting something like 2 Years/$20M with an option.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)

I am very hopeful that the respect Jerry has for Konerko will show itself soon, perhaps on Thursday.

When the team got back into town for this homestand, Jerry obviously told Ozzie "cut the crap, you're going to be here next year". Hopefully he will similarly make sure that Konerko is here next year, and get it announced soon.

Konerko is the heart and soul of this club, an anchor on the infield, and has done everything possible to earn a spot here next year.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 08:10 PM)
I am very hopeful that the respect Jerry has for Konerko will show itself soon, perhaps on Thursday.

When the team got back into town for this homestand, Jerry obviously told Ozzie "cut the crap, you're going to be here next year". Hopefully he will similarly make sure that Konerko is here next year, and get it announced soon.

Konerko is the heart and soul of this club, an anchor on the infield, and has done everything possible to earn a spot here next year.

I would be afraid that Konerko would end up signing somewhere else if he decides to test the market and doesn't consider a "home town discount". The way he has played this year, another team could offer him 2 or 3 years at $12-$14 million per. I'd like to hear today that he and the Sox have agreed to an extension.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
JR will find the money for PK if the budget is an option.

We are going to have to unload someone's salary to take on Konerko. I have been saying all along that Buehrle is a good candidate for this since we can get a decent return, but it has to be somebody.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
We are going to have to unload someone's salary to take on Konerko. I have been saying all along that Buehrle is a good candidate for this since we can get a decent return, but it has to be somebody.

I'm skeptical about how "good" of a return we could get on MB to be honest. I kind of feel he's more valuable to us than what we could expect back.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
If no one is unloaded to make room for Konerko and they still sign Konerko, the DH position will definitely take a hit. I could see Quentin as the DH if that were to happen.

Then your down an OF, and barring a creative move you'll be stuck with the likes of De Aza, Jones, Teahen, etc getting significant time there.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
I'm skeptical about how "good" of a return we could get on MB to be honest. I kind of feel he's more valuable to us than what we could expect back.

I agree, especially if you want the other team to pick up his salary.

Edited by Milkman delivers

MB is just not worth $14 million a year, so getting rid of that contract and spending that money more wisely is pretty valuable to the Sox.

It won't be. No one is going to pay him $14 million for what he has put up in the last few seasons.