Konerko to address free agency before TH game

fathom

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 12:59 AM)
Really? I see about 10 free agent catchers who make about a third or less of what AJ does and they can all put up the .700 OPS you can expect from AJ (though he hasn't quite even produced that yet this year). We would have been better off with Castro starting all year. Flowers could put up a .691 OPS for the league minimum. If AJ were to come back it better be at a HUGE paycut.

It will have to be a paycut. The Sox have almost all of the leverage in this situation. Nobody likes AJ. Nobody wants AJ.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
It will have to be a paycut. The Sox have almost all of the leverage in this situation. Nobody likes AJ. Nobody wants AJ.

I highly doubt that no team in baseball wants an experienced catcher who can still hit, knows how to catch a pitching staff, and can at least play close to adequate defense. He might not be the top FA choice of teams, but I wouldn't say NOBODY wants him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)
I highly doubt that no team in baseball wants an experienced catcher who can still hit, knows how to catch a pitching staff, and can at least play close to adequate defense. He might not be the top FA choice of teams, but I wouldn't say NOBODY wants him.

Yep. Also, the Catching crop isn't particularly strong this offseason. I'd wager someone will offer AJ a multi-year deal.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)

Nobody wanted him in June when the Sox tried to dump him before his 5/10 rights kicked in.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
Nobody wanted him in June when the Sox tried to dump him before his 5/10 rights kicked in.

Trading for a soon to be FA in June is different than signing a guy in the offseason. Not that many contenders were even looking for catching help at the time either.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
Trading for a soon to be FA in June is different than signing a guy in the offseason. Not that many contenders were even looking for catching help at the time either.

It's not just that though. Whether he fits with the Sox or not...he has a, frankly deserved reputation as a guy who can be trouble. He fits in this spot somewhat...but even the Sox have had their issues with him, in terms of trying to rest him or trying to develop Flowers alongside him.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)

I little too much hyperbole.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
I want to know what the off the field adjustments are that Paulie is talking about? Kenny? Scouting? Certain players? Ozzie? Kenny/Ozzie disputes?

This is actually a pretty good example of PK's leadership. Without calling anyone out, I think PK is saying that he and the players have had enough of the Ozzie/Kenny public fued. They don't want to deal with it, and they probably think that it led to their demise this year.

Eg. It's possible that the players see letting Thome go as an ego battle between Ozzie and Kenny, with the losers being the guys on the field.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 08:12 PM)
This is actually a pretty good example of PK's leadership. Without calling anyone out, I think PK is saying that he and the players have had enough of the Ozzie/Kenny public fued. They don't want to deal with it, and they probably think that it led to their demise this year.

Eg. It's possible that the players see letting Thome go as an ego battle between Ozzie and Kenny, with the losers being the guys on the field.

Good post, and it's so disappointing that after everything, Ozzie and KW will return while we're likely to see some attrition due to their actions. I guess there's a reason Ozzie always shows up on lists of managers you'd least like to play for.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
Certain players I truly believe. I still thought it was telling when Konerko's wife said during a broadcast this year that Konerko and Thome still hang out whenever they can.

There is no way Konerko goes to the Twins. They have a $15M all star 1B and already have a DH conundrum in Thome/Kubel. The Twins have like $72M commited to 10 players next year and have Pavano and Hudson hitting free agency. There is no way they can give Konerko $10M a year. Boston I could see if Beltre leaves, the Dodgers too if Loney is traded, I could see the Angels for sure needing a 1B/DH slugger. But all that being said who really wants to commited $20 or $30M guranteed to someone between the ages of 35-38. The Angels just did that with Abreu in the offseason giving him 2 years $18M and this year he hit like .245.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 07:24 PM)
There is no way Konerko goes to the Twins. They have a $15M all star 1B and already have a DH conundrum in Thome/Kubel. The Twins have like $72M commited to 10 players next year and have Pavano and Hudson hitting free agency. There is no way they can give Konerko $10M a year. Boston I could see if Beltre leaves, the Dodgers too if Loney is traded, I could see the Angels for sure needing a 1B/DH slugger. But all that being said who really wants to commited $20 or $30M guranteed to someone between the ages of 35-38. The Angels just did that with Abreu in the offseason giving him 2 years $18M and this year he hit like .245.

I don't think he'll go to the Twins either, unless Morneau has to retire. I wasn't saying he'd go to the Twins, just that Konerko was unhappy with the personnel decisionis/clubhouse this season cause he lost his two closest friends from the previous season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
I don't think he'll go to the Twins either, unless Morneau has to retire. I wasn't saying he'd go to the Twins, just that Konerko was unhappy with the personnel decisionis/clubhouse this season cause he lost his two closest friends from the previous season.

At least in this sense...the fact that Morneau is now taking BP is a huge help to us, because it makes it seem much more likely that he'll be available to start the year next year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
Further proof Konerko is gone: Viciedo play first base again tonight, and Konerko isn't playing. If the Sox do intend on playing Viciedo at 1b next season, I really hope they move Quentin to DH and then go after a lefty hitter for RF.

Teahen?

You may laugh now.

Anyway...if PK14 departs and Viciedo takes that role...we're going to both have a lot of money to spend and need some serious help producing runs.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 11:33 PM)
I love all his contributions, but I'll take no PK next year and some cash. I think we need a different leader in the clubhouse and it can't be Ozzie. We need someone who would order for a retaliation when one of our get hit. We need someone who won't take getting our asses handed to them. And we need someone who will b****slap someone for complimenting the Twins on how great they are.

Unfortunately Carl Everett is washed up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
Teahen?

You may laugh now.

Anyway...if PK14 departs and Viciedo takes that role...we're going to both have a lot of money to spend and need some serious help producing runs.

If you put Teahen in RF and Quentin at DH, then where will the actual offensive upgrades come from? Not a lot of spots in the lineup still open.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
If you put Teahen in RF and Quentin at DH, then where will the actual offensive upgrades come from? Not a lot of spots in the lineup still open.

Well...if you got the 2008 Quentin, you've done it. If you got the 2nd half of 2006 Teahen...ditto.

The thing to note though...if we've got $10-$15 million to play with...the only positions we can't start the offseason thinking "I have a guy I can put there next year" is 2 bullpen spots; Putz and Closer. We could stick Flowers at Catcher and probably get similar production to what AJ gave us this year. Quentin to DH, Viciedo to 1b, Morel to 3b, Teahen to RF at least gives us a lineup. It would take a set of miracles for that lineup to win the Central...but it's a better starting point than I feared a few months back.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)
I'm of the mind that the Sox should offer PK arb, which he won't accept. He'll likely get a 2, 3 yr deal near $13, 14 mill a year from another team.

He will be offered arbitration without question. Hopefully he remains an A. He's been right on the cusp all year.