Ken Burns' Baseball" "The Tenth Inning"

Cali

I had an old thread about this somewhere, but since Jason is too lazy to fix the search feature...I'll start a new one.

I was excited about it until I read this Yahoo! article...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...?urn=mlb-272785

3. I'm just going to save fans of the 2005 Chicago White Sox, 2006 St. Louis Cardinals and 2008 Philadelphia Phillies some stress: Despite your teams also breaking long World Series slumps, don't sit through the second episode thinking they'll eventually get their just due. All three are only briefly mentioned near the end in a "Oh crap, we better include these championships before their fans get ticked at us" highlight montage. Also, the 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks and 2003 Florida Marlins don't win their World Series as much as the Yankees lose them. Probably no big surprise there.

Apparently it's a big Yankee Red Sox blowfest... Lovely....

Edited by Cali

I watched it and liked it. Lots of Yankee stuff (along with the strike, Ripken, and the '98 home run chase), but its hard to argue that they weren't a big story during the period covered. Thankfully, a lot of the Yankee coverage focused on Joe Torre, which made it easier to digest.

Watching this doc, the one thing that gets me is the reason Bonds became the mammoth he was. He was this incredible 5-tool player, definite Hall of Famer, but his jealousy of all the attention that McGwire/Sosa were getting turned him into the beast hitting 73 homers. He could have been a legend either way but jealousy made him do that. Looking at his stats though, his .609 OBP in 04 is still ridiculous, steroids or no steroids.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 11:39 PM)
Watching this doc, the one thing that gets me is the reason Bonds became the mammoth he was. He was this incredible 5-tool player, definite Hall of Famer, but his jealousy of all the attention that McGwire/Sosa were getting turned him into the beast hitting 73 homers. He could have been a legend either way but jealousy made him do that. Looking at his stats though, his .609 OBP in 04 is still ridiculous, steroids or no steroids.

I'm still never going to be convinced that he was clean before 1999. He could just as readily have switched enhancers to Conte's stuff and been on something like the stanozolol that Palmeiro used, to just give him some recovery assistance. Stealing 400 bases can beat up a body, for example.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 07:49 AM)
I'm still never going to be convinced that he was clean before 1999. He could just as readily have switched enhancers to Conte's stuff and been on something like the stanozolol that Palmeiro used, to just give him some recovery assistance. Stealing 400 bases can beat up a body, for example.

I have no problem believing he started out clean, but its fair to doubt his whole career. I just think that his lineage and the fact that he was still a top prospect while young and skinny suggest otherwise. His mammoth statistical and physical transformation after that year also indicates something new and different was happening then. His reported "jealousy" over the '98 home run race provides a somewhat logical motivation for starting something up after that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 07:49 AM)

I can definitely see where you are coming from, especially with what we know about that era know. Its just that his body went through such a massive transformation after the age of 30 that makes me think he might have been clean earlier. It could just be that he started taking stronger/better stuff and concentrated more on getting buff too.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 10:39 AM)
Burns gives way too much time to the Red Sox. At least the Yankees deserved as much as they got.

I thought this too at first, but when you consider that the 2004 team did something that had never been accomplished in the entire history of the sport (coming back from 0-3 in the playoffs), it does make it more justified, especially in light of their drought and the fact that it happend against the Yankees. In fairness, I don't think Burns mentioned their second championship at all.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
I can definitely see where you are coming from, especially with what we know about that era know. Its just that his body went through such a massive transformation after the age of 30 that makes me think he might have been clean earlier. It could just be that he started taking stronger/better stuff and concentrated more on getting buff too.

I'm willing to agree it's possible he decided to start in 1999 because I can't prove anything other than he was a heavy THG user starting in 1999. All I ask is that anyone who believes he was clean before that to admit that they can't prove he was clean any more than I can prove he was dirty.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
I thought this too at first, but when you consider that the 2004 team did something that had never been accomplished in the entire history of the sport (coming back from 0-3 in the playoffs), it does make it more justified, especially in light of their drought and the fact that it happend against the Yankees. In fairness, I don't think Burns mentioned their second championship at all.

im sure this is part of it... but he definitely spent a lot of time talking about Northeasterner's going to relatives graves with news that Boston won the world series after the drought.

Shoot our drought was greater than theirs!!!

LOL. This is what some idiots on another forum said to me after I said I'll pass on this documentary since I've heard it's a suckfest about the Red Sox and Yankees, and give no respect to the White Sox who ended an even longer drought of their own.....

"Youre not even the biggest team in your own city. The Red Sox are massive to so many more people than your team is. Add in all the drama of the Sox nearly winning it on so many occasions and the whole coming back against the Yankees thing and your point is idiotic."

Another red sox fan.....

"ITT: Joe cries because no one gives a s*** about the White Sox and their racist manager."

:facepalm:

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
im sure this is part of it... but he definitely spent a lot of time talking about Northeasterner's going to relatives graves with news that Boston won the world series after the drought.

I do agree with this. That one dude's description of his grandmother sitting on her porch with her stockings rolled down keeping score on "just a piece of paper" was way over the top.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
I do agree with this. That one dude's description of his grandmother sitting on her porch with her stockings rolled down keeping score on "just a piece of paper" was way over the top.

I liked that anecdote. Made me think of my grandfather and how he missed 05.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 08:42 AM)
Did they show any of the 03 NLCS or at least mention the Marlins winning it all? I didn't watch that far.

They went through the BoSox 03 failure, followed it up with almost equal time on the other long-suffering team's failure...then went into the 04 BoSox winner. I may or may not have tuned in to laugh at 1 portion of that.

• 1 month later...

HOLY CRAP, (I'm way behind on this) but I'm watching the bottom of the 10th and it's the section on the 2001 Series. Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling, the most DOMINANT duo of starting pitchers maybe of all time start games one and two, and they are portrayed as STILL PHOTO'S while the narrator just talks about how they won games 1 & 2?!

The middle Yankee Stadium games get full video highlights.

Unbelievable.

Game 6, another still photo.

Must have KILLED them to have to show actual video highlights of Game 7.

"The New York Yankees, the team much of America was rooting for...had lost"

f*** right off...

I sure as hell was rooting for the D'backs all the way. 9/11 or not...