If the Sox don't re-sign Konerko...

macsandz

Trade Gavin Floyd for Matt Kemp (RF)

Sign Huston Street to close

Sign Carlos Pena to split (1B) with Viciedo (vs. LHP)

Re-sign Freddy as Peavy return stopgap (#4)

Chris Sale starts as a #5

Re-sign AJ (1 year)

Re-sign Quentin (1 year) to DH

Re-sign Putz

Morel is 3B (defensive upgrade)

DeAza is 4th OF (speed & defense)

Kemp upgrades the OF defense, adds speed and covers typical power production lost from PK exit.

Sale steps in as a quality 5th starter until Peavy returns. Once that happens Freddy slots back to #5 and Sale to BP.

Carlos Pena is due for a return to mean (.241 career avg.) and may accept a one year recovery contract a la Beltre 2010). Another defensive upgrade.

Obviously, it's early and much could happen in the off season as players could re-sign (Pena-TB & Street-Col) plus there is no market, but this is a quick concept about how to significantly upgrade team defense, add speed, a lefty power hitter

and improve the bullpen for the full season.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kemp is a defensive upgrade? not by much. he actually has worst UZR in the league this season in CF, even worse than CQ (surprisingly possible). and he is only mediocre at best in previous years at RF. I really think that Kemp would at cost us both Floyd and Morel.

and i am not sure what is the market for pena, sure he is a defensive upgrade, but he hit .196 this season... yuk, after hitting .247 and .227 previous years, I believe I've never saw stat line of .196-28-84 from a player over 400 ABs, ever.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
I like the Pena idea, but he may want more money than Konerko.

That would be crazy after the year he just had. I say he takes a one-year deal to raise his value. Even if he doesn't, he'd add a lefty power bat and wouldn't cost more than PK who would be diminished returns defined before you know it if they

re-sign. I just have a feeling Paulie is gone and it may be the best thing for the franchise going forward.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 05:58 PM)
kemp is a defensive upgrade? not by much. he actually has worst UZR in the league this season in CF, even worse than CQ (surprisingly possible). and he is only mediocre at best in previous years at RF. I really think that Kemp would at cost us both Floyd and Morel.

and i am not sure what is the market for pena, sure he is a defensive upgrade, but he hit .196 this season... yuk, after hitting .247 and .227 previous years, I believe I've never saw stat line of .196-28-84 from a player over 400 ABs, ever.

Kemp won a Gold Glove out there just a year ago. He'd move to RF just fine. He's got a track record of stellar defense. LA has soured on him big time and I think they'd move him for Gavin who likely would dominate in the NL going forward.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)
Kemp won a Gold Glove out there just a year ago. He'd move to RF just fine. He's got a track record of stellar defense. LA has soured on him big time and I think they'd move him for Gavin who likely would dominate in the NL going forward.

Kemp won that gold glove with his bat. He does not have a track record of stellar defense, he has a track record of adequate defense in CF. Prior to this season of course...when he was well below adequate.

Of course...adequate defense in CF sometimes translates to above average defense in corner OF spots. Trouble is...some of the reasons why Kemp's defense has been bad this year may relate to personal/professionalism issues. Things like not preparing hard for defense.

I think LA would jump on Kemp for Floyd. They'd feel like that was an immediate win.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 06:16 PM)
Kemp won that gold glove with his bat. He does not have a track record of stellar defense, he has a track record of adequate defense in CF. Prior to this season of course...when he was well below adequate.

Of course...adequate defense in CF sometimes translates to above average defense in corner OF spots. Trouble is...some of the reasons why Kemp's defense has been bad this year may relate to personal/professionalism issues. Things like not preparing hard for defense.

I think LA would jump on Kemp for Floyd. They'd feel like that was an immediate win.

I'm saying that that Kemp in RF would be a defensive upgrade in RF from what we're used to. I also feel that his lapses on D and on the base paths this season are an aberration and he'd benefit from a change of scenery including moving from Torre to Ozzie. I think Gavin folded in big games too often. He's very weak mentally and has reached his max potential with the Sox. Sale has given us a nice opportunity to move him for good value. Kemp is a classic Kenny target. A highly-touted young star with a very high ceiling that has something to prove. Just my opinion, but I think the Sox would be a very good fit for him. He's got 5 tool talent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)
I wasn't optimistic until I heard JR was at his locker last night. Jerry doesn't get involved unless it means something.

The Sox have a lot of things going for them if the Sox want him back. The teams that would have money to spent (Boston, NY, LAA) don't need a 1b, the teams that do need a 1b are also not big salary teams or are cutting back (Cubs, Braves, Rangers, Rays) and there are a ton of 1b candidates on the market (Pena, LaRoche, Lee, Dunn). Plus, next year is the year Gonzalez, Fielder, and Pujols could be available and no team that has a shot at one of those guys is going to want to block them.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 06:11 PM)

Jeter won numerous GGs by playing for a big market team, and being constantly featured in highlight reel plays. Fact is he lacks great range and shouldn't even be considered for the GG. After Franklin Gutierrez failed to win it last year despite clearly being the best fielder in baseball, you really have to take the GG awards with a grain of salt, it merely an award base on reputation.

Alexei is clearly the best fielding SS in the AL this season, and he isn't even a lock to win it.

Track record only suggests that Kemp had been a mediocre RF in the past. He definitely has the tools to be better. but like Balta said, until he changes his approach to the game, you shouldn't expect a great season defensively at RF from this guy.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 06:51 PM)
What are the odds that Konerko comes back, realistically?

I think the Sox want him back, but at their price which is probably at or below competitive. After this season which almost killed him, Kenny is likely gonna be creative and ultra-aggressive this winter and re-signing Konerko would really tie his hands.

Paulie gave us a career year and it wasn't enough. To merely shuffle the same deck of cards with PK, AJ, Jones and others all coming back would be futile and pointless. I think they have to re-sign AJ as they really have no other options. Kenny has too many guys returning because they have to (Teahen, Linebrink) not because they are a planned part of the future. Guys like Viciedo, Sale, Morel and De Aza are going to be counted on because they are needed to offset dumb money which could force the franchise into spinning it's wheels out of contention again next season.

Bringing in new blood is what it's gonna take to win the Central next year not hoping the same guys just "play better and stay healthy."

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 07:36 PM)
Jeter won numerous GGs by playing for a big market team, and being constantly featured in highlight reel plays. Fact is he lacks great range and shouldn't even be considered for the GG. After Franklin Gutierrez failed to win it last year despite clearly being the best fielder in baseball, you really have to take the GG awards with a grain of salt, it merely an award base on reputation.

Alexei is clearly the best fielding SS in the AL this season, and he isn't even a lock to win it.

Track record only suggests that Kemp had been a mediocre RF in the past. He definitely has the tools to be better. but like Balta said, until he changes his approach to the game, you shouldn't expect a great season defensively at RF from this guy.

The Sox need an upgrade out there for sure and Kemp or someone similar would really make a difference.

We will have one of the least talented farm systems going into next season. The two comp picks we'll get by offering PK arb and letting him walk will go towards improving our franchise in that regard. This was PK's greatest offensive season by far, there will likely be regression to follow. With the amount of cash we have tied up in next year's team and several holes yet to fill, it is not prudent to offer him the amount of money it will take for him to sign

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 06:55 PM)
25% would be my guess

Then what do you think the market for a slugger who will be 36 years old on opening day will be. Hes not getting his 5/60 again, Abreu got 2/18 about this time last year at age 33 after a season with 30HR and 30SB. If Konerko wants 3/30 we will sign him, yeah ok if he demands his 5/60 again he can go play for someone else.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 08:24 PM)
We will have one of the least talented farm systems going into next season. The two comp picks we'll get by offering PK arb and letting him walk will go towards improving our franchise in that regard. This was PK's greatest offensive season by far, there will likely be regression to follow. With the amount of cash we have tied up in next year's team and several holes yet to fill, it is not prudent to offer him the amount of money it will take for him to sign

I agree with your statement but nothing in Konerko's demeanor, his past contract negotiation with the sox, or his comments makes me think he is gonna go crazy with his contact demands or expectations. If the market rate for him is 2 Years and 20 Mil, the same thing Adam Dunn got 2 years ago then so be it, and he prolly comes back. If it happens to be 5 Years 60 Mil then I would expect him to sign elsewhere because of the $$ the sox have committed elsewhere.

I believe he'll sign for 3 years at least 8 figures/year. And he'll probably be just about worth it over that period of time. But with our budget constraints, I'd like to see us sign/trade for a guy who will provide more surplus value than PK (worth more than we have to pay them). He'll be 35 on opening day btw

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)
Then what do you think the market for a slugger who will be 36 years old on opening day will be. Hes not getting his 5/60 again, Abreu got 2/18 about this time last year at age 33 after a season with 30HR and 30SB. If Konerko wants 3/30 we will sign him, yeah ok if he demands his 5/60 again he can go play for someone else.

White Sox and JR will absolutely be the best offer he gets. Smart to be positioning the way he is, but don't see a lot of teams stepping-up for these big numbers. Over-saturated position and despite the year he just put-up, he's too old for someone to take a late-career gamble with an expensive long-term contract other than the hometown squad where he draws fan support, etc. He will be back....

:gosoxretro: