If the Sox don't re-sign Konerko...

macsandz

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
Sounds like $110M payroll right there.

This team's payroll has been right around $100 million for 5 straight seasons. Yeah, there has been revenue decline at the gate and due to advertiser swapouts...but there has been revenue growth as well, and there is still money coming in from LAD.

If it takes a $110 million payroll to put a winner on the field I don't think it'd be impossible. I don't think it would take that much though, with the pieces we currently have.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
Call me crazy, but I'm not that worried about PK not coming back. Where else is he going to go?

Teams that could use a 1b upgrade (without thinking about available funds):

Chicago Cubs

Atlanta Braves

Texas Rangers

San Francisco Giants

Tampa Bay Rays

Toronto Blue Jays

Washington Nationals

Baltimore Orioles

Cleveland Indians

Teams that might think about it if they could move someone else first and get PK14 at 1/2 the price of the guy they're moving

Los Angeles Dodgers

Milwaukee Brewers

San Diego Padres

Boston Red Sox

Los Angeles Angels

Arizona Diamondbacks

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 11:25 AM)
Teams that could use a 1b upgrade (without thinking about available funds):

Chicago Cubs

Atlanta Braves

Texas Rangers

San Francisco Giants

Tampa Bay Rays

Chicago Blue Jays

Washington Nationals

Baltimore Orioles

Cleveland Indians

Teams that might think about it if they could move someone else first and get PK14 at 1/2 the price of the guy they're moving

Los Angeles Dodgers

Milwaukee Brewers

San Diego Padres

Boston Red Sox

Los Angeles Angels

Arizona Diamondbacks

You're right. I think there will be plenty of interest in Konerko. How many teams would be able to afford him, I don't know. If Konerko returns to the Sox, I wouldn't be surprised if it's for slightly less than another offer. I think (and hope) that JR gets involved again and brings him back.

By the way, I didn't know the Blue Jays were unhappy in Toronto. ;)

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 11:42 PM)
Trade Gavin Floyd for Matt Kemp (RF)

Sign Huston Street to close

Sign Carlos Pena to split (1B) with Viciedo (vs. LHP)

Re-sign Freddy as Peavy return stopgap (#4)

Chris Sale starts as a #5

Re-sign AJ (1 year)

Re-sign Quentin (1 year) to DH

Re-sign Putz

Morel is 3B (defensive upgrade)

DeAza is 4th OF (speed & defense)

Kemp upgrades the OF defense, adds speed and covers typical power production lost from PK exit.

Sale steps in as a quality 5th starter until Peavy returns. Once that happens Freddy slots back to #5 and Sale to BP.

Carlos Pena is due for a return to mean (.241 career avg.) and may accept a one year recovery contract a la Beltre 2010). Another defensive upgrade.

Obviously, it's early and much could happen in the off season as players could re-sign (Pena-TB & Street-Col) plus there is no market, but this is a quick concept about how to significantly upgrade team defense, add speed, a lefty power hitter

and improve the bullpen for the full season.

• Kemp would be nice but is not enough for Floyd IMO.
  • That lineup would still lack the left handed run producer that we need, and Pena would not qualify as he hit under .200. I'd rather have someone that bats .300 and hits 15 HRS (ala Julio Franco) than someone that bats .200 and hits 30 hrs.

QUOTE (striker @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
  • That lineup would still lack the left handed run producer that we need, and Pena would not qualify as he hit under .200. I'd rather have someone that bats .300 and hits 15 HRS (ala Julio Franco) than someone that bats .200 and hits 30 hrs.

Care to supply a name suggestion so that we can compare actual stats?

(to be more specific...it's not just batting average and HR that count. You loved Franco's 1994 season...but he also put up a .400+ OBP that season and as such a >.900 OPS). Pena only hit .227 in 2009, but he put up a .893 OPS because he took 87 walks and hit 39 HR. This season some of those HR's stayed in the ballpark, and his total OPS plummeted.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
Care to supply a name suggestion so that we can compare actual stats?

(to be more specific...it's not just batting average and HR that count. You loved Franco's 1994 season...but he also put up a .400+ OBP that season and as such a >.900 OPS). Pena only hit .227 in 2009, but he put up a .893 OPS because he took 87 walks and hit 39 HR. This season some of those HR's stayed in the ballpark, and his total OPS plummeted.

In other words, gotta look on OBP, not so much on AVG, I still don't want anything to do with Pena unless its for really cheap.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
In other words, gotta look on OBP, not so much on AVG, I still don't want anything to do with Pena unless its for really cheap.

Pena takes a lot of walks, he's taken 87 each of the last 2 seasons. The difference for him is going to be in the average; if he hits 35+ HR, that pushes his average upwards and his OBP goes with it. If he hits 28 HR, his average plummets and his numbers go with it.

It's actually kind of remarkable. Almost the same number of AB's for Pena the last 2 years. 12 more hits for him in 2009 than 2008, 11 of which were HR. Nearly kills his total OPS. A couple fewer doubles, but those 11 HR made the bulk of the difference.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
Am I the only one who thinks Floyd wouldn't be enough to get Kemp?

Then the Dodgers can look somewhere else. Seriously. Young pitcher under control for several years at fixed cost compared to a young player hitting arbitration with no stable contract and attitude issues? Not even close.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 07:20 PM)
Then the Dodgers can look somewhere else. Seriously. Young pitcher under control for several years at fixed cost compared to a young player hitting arbitration with no stable contract and attitude issues? Not even close.

Just seems like Dodgers could find a team willing to give up more for Kemp. I do know for a fact that the Sox organization from top-down hates Kemp due to issues they had with him when facing him in the minors. Hopefully enough time has changed since then though.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
Just seems like Dodgers could find a team willing to give up more for Kemp.

If they can...then let them...and go make the Floyd for Fielder + a prospect offer.

If some team offers more for Matt Kemp than Gavin Floyd...that team is making a mistake.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 06:55 PM)
25% would be my guess

I'm going with 90%. I think Kenny is deceiving fans just to make himself look better. If "the money isn't there" is his excuse then he is the one to blame. People will start pointing fingers at the Jackson trade and of course the money for Manny Ramirez. So we may be looking at an organization that has depleted funds and a depleted farm system under Kenny. Reinsdorf seems to show a loyalty towards certain players, I think the same will be with Konerko.

You have to appreciate PK. He's one of the few athletes in a contract year who decides not to make it an issue and rarely addressed it. (take note Ozzie Guillen)

Not signing Thome was a big controversy, imagine if they don't sign Konerko and even worse, if he became a Twin.

Who do you replace him with at the same amount of money? I'm not fond of replacing a player with players from the NL. They have to make the biggest adjustment since the talent is so lopsided.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
If they can...then let them...and go make the Floyd for Fielder + a prospect offer.

If some team offers more for Matt Kemp than Gavin Floyd...that team is making a mistake.

what the?

can someone tell me what is going on around here? since when did floyd's value skyrocketed? floyd for fielder and a prospect?

if i were the sox, i wouldn't hesitate to trade floyd for fielder alone.