If the Sox don't re-sign Konerko...

macsandz

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
what the?

can someone tell me what is going on around here? since when did floyd's value skyrocketed? floyd for fielder and a prospect?

if i were the sox, i wouldn't hesitate to trade floyd for fielder alone.

Really? Fielder will be a FA after next season, his agent is Boras, and SI says he wants at least $200M. Floyd is under control for 3 more years at $22M total. That's a pretty sweet deal for a pitcher who is 27 and has put together 3 decent seasons in a row in a tough park and league.

Trading Floyd for a one year rental seems dicey unless Floyd is hurt worse than is publicly known.

Edited by hitlesswonder

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
what the?

can someone tell me what is going on around here? since when did floyd's value skyrocketed? floyd for fielder and a prospect?

I'm with you on this

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
I'm going with 90%. I think Kenny is deceiving fans just to make himself look better. If "the money isn't there" is his excuse then he is the one to blame. People will start pointing fingers at the Jackson trade and of course the money for Manny Ramirez. So we may be looking at an organization that has depleted funds and a depleted farm system under Kenny. Reinsdorf seems to show a loyalty towards certain players, I think the same will be with Konerko.

You have to appreciate PK. He's one of the few athletes in a contract year who decides not to make it an issue and rarely addressed it. (take note Ozzie Guillen)

Not signing Thome was a big controversy, imagine if they don't sign Konerko and even worse, if he became a Twin.

Who do you replace him with at the same amount of money? I'm not fond of replacing a player with players from the NL. They have to make the biggest adjustment since the talent is so lopsided.

lmao.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
what the?

By fWAR, Floyd had more value in '10 than Fielder (4.3 to 4.2). Floyd makes $5M in '11, and in '11 Prince gets a raise from the $10.5M he made this year. Floyd is under team control for three years, Prince just the one. A straight up trade does not make sense even assuming Fielder is a win more valuable than Floyd. If you trade Floyd, it should be for younger player(s) with not much service time established

Even if the Sox don't bring back AJ or Konerko or Jenks, you have to figure at least one will be replaced with someone pretty good. As crazy as this might seem, I think the Sox are sitting pretty for 2011. The AL Central has 2 awful teams, another team that will have more holes to fill than the Sox, and just may be awful as well, and yet another team that you have to figure may come back to the pack a little. I don't see Carl Pavano duplicating 2010. Even if Nathan and Morneau come back at full strength, I think their pitching is going to feel the effects of a long season.

I think the Sox have to quit kissing Minnesota's ass and go out and beat them. Its time for the Sox to hate them. Make it like NY/Bos. If the Sox ever figure that out, they should dominate the division and they will be in the playoffs 6 out of 9 years.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
By fWAR, Floyd had more value in '10 than Fielder (4.3 to 4.2). Floyd makes $5M in '11, and in '11 Prince gets a raise from the $10.5M he made this year. Floyd is under team control for three years, Prince just the one. A straight up trade does not make sense even assuming Fielder is a win more valuable than Floyd. If you trade Floyd, it should be for younger player(s) with not much service time established

The 3 things you might get with Fielder that could make it worth your while...1. You get 2 draft picks if/when he walks. If you're good with drafting, that adds in. 2. You get a leg up on signing him. 3. You fill a position of weakness on your roster by dealing from a position of strength.

The other thing worth considering is that the 4.2 WAR for Fielder was something of a down year, and he's impacted negatively by his glove which might not matter as much if he's DHing part of the time, but all those are complications.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 07:01 PM)
Even if the Sox don't bring back AJ or Konerko or Jenks, you have to figure at least one will be replaced with someone pretty good. As crazy as this might seem, I think the Sox are sitting pretty for 2011. The AL Central has 2 awful teams, another team that will have more holes to fill than the Sox, and just may be awful as well, and yet another team that you have to figure may come back to the pack a little. I don't see Carl Pavano duplicating 2010. Even if Nathan and Morneau come back at full strength, I think their pitching is going to feel the effects of a long season.

I think the Sox have to quit kissing Minnesota's ass and go out and beat them. Its time for the Sox to hate them. Make it like NY/Bos. If the Sox ever figure that out, they should dominate the division and they will be in the playoffs 6 out of 9 years.

QFMFT!!!!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 07:01 PM)

Figure out how to have one of the top two payrolls in baseball???

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 08:00 AM)
Figure out how to have one of the top two payrolls in baseball???

I think he was saying it's time to stop respecting the Twins and start treating them like true rivals...like the Red Sox and Yankees do to each other.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
I think he was saying it's time to stop respecting the Twins and start treating them like true rivals...like the Red Sox and Yankees do to each other.

Even if the players sometimes rip ARod...don't you also get the impression that there's a grudging respect between those 2 teams, and they're always building their own team with an eye to out-doing the other team?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 08:20 AM)

So the reason Jenks blew a 3-run lead in Minnesota is because he respects the Twins and doesnt hate them? And Matt Thornton wouldn't have grooved a pitch to Thome in the 10th if he just held a little more anger towards him & the Twins. Maybe then instead of working with Gavin on how to pitch more consistently, we should spend time every day making him dislike the Twins more and more, then he won't s*** the bed against them 3 teams in a month.

As intense as the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is, I really don't think the players hate each other, and I'm sure there is a lot of mutual respect between the two teams. Let's not forget that those are two of the most talented teams in the league year in and year out, so every year they are competing to be the best in a super tough division or they are playing in the playoffs, which increases the intensity of every matchup.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 08:20 AM)

yankees and red sox have a bunch of players who either likes talking trash, or deserves to be hated, like A-rod, jeter, Ortiz, Varitek, and Manny and Pedro back in the days. We only have a bunch of Mr. nice guys here, the only guy you can really hate on this team is AJ

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
That was my thought too.

Meh, they gave up Carlos Santana to get the immortal Casey Blake. I'm of the thinking that Floyd is as good as he's gonna get. He just can't seem to put a full season together. But stick him in the NL in a pitchers park, he could dominate. If we still have Hudson I'd deal Floyd for Kemp in a second. Unfortunately, KW totally f***ed that up.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
yankees and red sox have a bunch of players who either likes talking trash, or deserves to be hated, like A-rod, jeter, Ortiz, Varitek, and Manny and Pedro back in the days. We only have a bunch of Mr. nice guys here, the only guy you can really hate on this team is AJ

I don't necessarily like Jeter, but why does he deserve to he hated?

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)

I was thinking the same thing. Other than being given multiple Gold Gloves he didn't deserve (not his fault by the way), I have no idea how you could hate him. I still can't get over that play he made against the A's in Game 3 of the ALDS in '01. One of the top 5 defensive plays I've ever witnessed (Buehrle's opening day circus/freak play being #1) .

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
Do the Dodgers actually have a problem with Kemp or was it just a conflict with Joe Torre? What evidence is there that he's on the trading block? They pretty much played him every day in September, from what I recall. He homered in 5 straight games to end the season.

It was thought that his attitude/laziness (particularly on defense) had really started to irk the higher ups in the organization. His agent (is it Dave Stewart?) even said a trade might have to take place. He's basically become the NL version of B.J. Upton. Massive 5-tool talent that underachieves for whatever reason(s). But I recently read at espn that they have no intention of trading him. I'd totally take a chance on him. But we usually take on former all-stars 5-7 years past their prime. So that ain't happening.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
Do the Dodgers actually have a problem with Kemp or was it just a conflict with Joe Torre? What evidence is there that he's on the trading block? They pretty much played him every day in September, from what I recall. He homered in 5 straight games to end the season.

The GM publicly ripped him earlier this year.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)

he was hated by a lot fans outside of new york, for constantly being overpaid and overrated.

http://baseball.dailyskew.com/2010/01/top-...ayers-2010.html

i believe 7 of those players are/were on the NYY/BOS at one point. and jeter was an honorable mention a year earlier.

if you have a bunch of professionals on the team who play the game the right way, and do not cause any off the field trouble, it's really hard to just start hating someone.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
he was hated by a lot fans outside of new york, for constantly being overpaid and overrated.

http://baseball.dailyskew.com/2010/01/top-...ayers-2010.html

i believe 7 of those players are/were on the NYY/BOS at one point. and jeter was an honorable mention a year earlier.

Overrated? A career slash line of .314/.385/.452/.837 for a SS over 10, 548 PAs seems pretty good to me. Defensively? Yes, he's a joke. Not much to dislike about his game besides that. And has there even been a wiff of off the field controversy with him? If there has been I don't remember. Breaking up with Mariah Carey?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
So the reason Jenks blew a 3-run lead in Minnesota is because he respects the Twins and doesnt hate them? And Matt Thornton wouldn't have grooved a pitch to Thome in the 10th if he just held a little more anger towards him & the Twins. Maybe then instead of working with Gavin on how to pitch more consistently, we should spend time every day making him dislike the Twins more and more, then he won't s*** the bed against them 3 teams in a month.

As intense as the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is, I really don't think the players hate each other, and I'm sure there is a lot of mutual respect between the two teams. Let's not forget that those are two of the most talented teams in the league year in and year out, so every year they are competing to be the best in a super tough division or they are playing in the playoffs, which increases the intensity of every matchup.

Yes. That is a very accurate statement. Come on, I didn't say there had to be hate. The Sox just fold when they are up against the Twins. Look at the Red Sox/Yankee rivalry. You don't see one team just collapsing on a regular basis. I think the Sox go into games against the Twins with a defeatist attitude too often. I don't know how you change that. Apparently the Sox don't either. But they need to figure out how to beat the Twins, or October 2nd (or so) will be the last day of the season more often than not.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
if you have a bunch of professionals on the team who play the game the right way, and do not cause any off the field trouble, it's really hard to just start hating someone.

I can't stand how the Yankees have words with the ump after every single called strike.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
Overrated? A career slash line of .314/.385/.452/.837 for a SS over 10, 548 PAs seems pretty good to me. Defensively? Yes, he's a joke. Not much to dislike about his game besides that. And has there even been a wiff of off the field controversy with him? If there has been I don't remember. Breaking up with Mariah Carey?

what are you trying to prove here? that he is not being hated by fans outside of New York? if you have to rate the best players in decade 2000, where would he rank?

He is what he is, but for the player that he is, he got more credit than he deserves, the GG awards are perfect examples. he received more media attention than he deserved because he plays for the yankees. and you don't even want to mention his contract, no way does he deserves to be the second highest paid player in baseball.

Sure there are fans who think he is a great player and remember him for his clutch and signature moments, but it's a fact that many fans do hate him or at least dislike him because he is overrated and way overpaid

p.s. isn't he the one who gave Jessica Alba herpes?

Edited by thxfrthmmrs