If the Sox don't re-sign Konerko...

macsandz

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 02:35 AM)
Is his range really that bad?

I had the same question. I hear that a lot...that Konerko has terrible range. I personally don't think his range is that bad. It might be below normal, but not terrible. Maybe his ability to make big plays (he can pick balls out of the dirt with the best of them) masks his range.

Either way, I'll take him at first next year.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 02:35 AM)
Is his range really that bad?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 07:13 AM)
I had the same question. I hear that a lot...that Konerko has terrible range. I personally don't think his range is that bad. It might be below normal, but not terrible. Maybe his ability to make big plays (he can pick balls out of the dirt with the best of them) masks his range.

Either way, I'll take him at first next year.

1B range, sorted from worst to first

He might not be the worst (though he probably is), but no matter how you view it, he's bad.

He's never actually been THAT bad before, so it's likely that it is an outlier (or that there are balls he would normally go after that he no longer did because of Beckham), but the best his range rate has ever been was 0.6, and he's at -29.8 for his career.

That's been Konerko's MO his entire career - no range, great glove.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
1B range, sorted from worst to first

He might not be the worst (though he probably is), but no matter how you view it, he's bad.

He's never actually been THAT bad before, so it's likely that it is an outlier (or that there are balls he would normally go after that he no longer did because of Beckham), but the best his range rate has ever been was 0.6, and he's at -29.8 for his career.

That's been Konerko's MO his entire career - no range, great glove.

That makes sense. His great glove probably makes many of us overlook his range, which apparently is terrible. I've always viewed 1st base as a position that doesn't require great range...as compared to 2nd or SS for sure. I wouldn't turn down Dunn at 1st base, but I would imagine his defense overall is much worse than Konerko's.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
That makes sense. His great glove probably makes many of us overlook his range, which apparently is terrible. I've always viewed 1st base as a position that doesn't require great range...as compared to 2nd or SS for sure. I wouldn't turn down Dunn at 1st base, but I would imagine his defense overall is much worse than Konerko's.

It really doesn't need great range. You will almost certainly get more defensive value out of a 1B who can throw and catch well rather than range to his left or his right. Konerko does exactly that. He's a fine defensive 1B.

• 3 weeks later...

One name that hasn't been thrown around is Lance Berkman. Though he vetoed a trade to come here, he supposedly wanted to play with Petitte. In watching a rerun of "The club", Jake Peavy was in contact with Berkman about coming here. That could factor in if the sox don't sign PK and Berkman is looking for work. He's the same age as Konerko, and should get less than Paulie after a down 2010. Yet he plays better defense and hits very well off RHP hitting LH [his splits vs. LHP are bad].

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 05:02 AM)
One name that hasn't been thrown around is Lance Berkman. Though he vetoed a trade to come here, he supposedly wanted to play with Petitte. In watching a rerun of "The club", Jake Peavy was in contact with Berkman about coming here. That could factor in if the sox don't sign PK and Berkman is looking for work. He's the same age as Konerko, and should get less than Paulie after a down 2010. Yet he plays better defense and hits very well off RHP hitting LH [his splits vs. LHP are bad].

Berkman turned down the trade here, but was very gracious about saying that it was because he wanted to go with Pettite. I just wonder how much he has left.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
Berkman turned down the trade here, but was very gracious about saying that it was because he wanted to go with Pettite. I just wonder how much he has left.

I'd totally try him on as a DH...if my training staff said sure. Not sure exactly what his injuries were this year though, or his training regimen. He could easily be a guy who puts on a Guerrero like comeback season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
I'd totally try him on as a DH...if my training staff said sure. Not sure exactly what his injuries were this year though, or his training regimen. He could easily be a guy who puts on a Guerrero like comeback season.

Depends on how much money we are talking about. It would have to be in the couple of million dollar range. Anything above that would scare me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
Depends on how much money we are talking about. It would have to be in the couple of million dollar range. Anything above that would scare me.

Obviously. If someone wants to offer him $8 million guaranteed then we're outbid. You could probably talk me into $3-$4 plus incentives as my limit on him...depending on what my medical staff says.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)

Outside of 2010, Berkman has had very solid numbers across the board--offensively and defensively. I know Paulie had a near career year at age 34. And Lance battled through injuries at 34. He's been pretty healthy. But if Paulie gets $12+ mill. per for 2 years I'd pass if I were the Sox. Berkman's question marks may net him 1/2 of what Paulie will probably get. And the Sox could slide Berkman over to DH as well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
I think the need for a LH hitter is overblown. Quentin hits like a LH hitter. He mashes righties and struggles with lefties. Just get a good hitter no matter what side of the plate he stands on.

I absolutely agree with this. Why would you handicap yourself by spending $3 mill more or getting a worse bat simply because they hit from the left side? I think a left handed bat is preferable, but priority number one is getting a good hitter. The Sox had quite a few left handed bats available at all times last year, but that doesn't do a hell of a lot of good when they all suck.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
I absolutely agree with this. Why would you handicap yourself by spending $3 mill more or getting a worse bat simply because they hit from the left side? I think a left handed bat is preferable, but priority number one is getting a good hitter. The Sox had quite a few left handed bats available at all times last year, but that doesn't do a hell of a lot of good when they all suck.

Um, hence the need for a quality LH Bat?

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
Trade Gavin Floyd for Matt Kemp (RF)

Sign Huston Street to close

Sign Carlos Pena to split (1B) with Viciedo (vs. LHP)

Re-sign Freddy as Peavy return stopgap (#4)

Chris Sale starts as a #5

Re-sign AJ (1 year)

Re-sign Quentin (1 year) to DH

Re-sign Putz

Morel is 3B (defensive upgrade)

DeAza is 4th OF (speed & defense)

Kemp upgrades the OF defense, adds speed and covers typical power production lost from PK exit.

Sale steps in as a quality 5th starter until Peavy returns. Once that happens Freddy slots back to #5 and Sale to BP.

Carlos Pena is due for a return to mean (.241 career avg.) and may accept a one year recovery contract a la Beltre 2010). Another defensive upgrade.

Obviously, it's early and much could happen in the off season as players could re-sign (Pena-TB & Street-Col) plus there is no market, but this is a quick concept about how to significantly upgrade team defense, add speed, a lefty power hitter

and improve the bullpen for the full season.

Gavin Floyd and Clayton Kershaw on the same team? Woah...

I tend to think they kind of look alike.

And I would not trade Floyd for Kemp, not after Kemp's terrible offensive and defensive season.