NLDS: Giants vs. Braves

Brian

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
If there's going to be an upset in the first round this year, this is going to be the series.

Why? Because this is the only series that isn't somewhat evenly matched, to the point that "upset" loses its meaning?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
Why? Because this is the only series that isn't somewhat evenly matched, to the point that "upset" loses its meaning?

Or the complete opposite. These teams are so evenly matched.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)
A 91-win team beating a 92-win team hardly constitutes an "upset" in my book...

Fair enough, but the Giants have home field and they will be favored so it'll still be considered an upset if the Braves win.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
Or the complete opposite. These teams are so evenly matched.

I dunno. I feel like they've been going the complete opposite direction for the last month. Giants are 19-10 over the stretch run, Braves are 14-16. The Braves really lost a lot when they lost Larry, but the Giants are peaking right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
I dunno. I feel like they've been going the complete opposite direction for the last month. Giants are 19-10 over the stretch run, Braves are 14-16. The Braves really lost a lot when they lost Larry, but the Giants are peaking right now.

I totally agree with you here. Forget about the team win totals. I'd be shocked if the Braves won this series. The Giants are one of those rare teams more built for the postseason than they are the 162-game grind. They've got an outstanding power starting staff, a shutdown bullpen (elite closers in particular take on a bigger role than they do in the regular season) and they catch the baseball (they're 4th in both RZR/DRS and 2nd in UZR). If they get any kinda offense, I wouldn't be shocked if they made it all the way to the Series.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 11:10 PM)
We might be in for an epic NLCS with these two pitching staffs (Philles/Giants).

Lincecum vs. Halladay will be beautiful.

Philly has a better starting staff and is the better team though.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)
Lincecum vs. Halladay will be beautiful.

Philly has a better starting staff and is the better team though.

Hamels > Sanchez. But Sanchez is one of those guys that dazzles when he's on. Roy/Oswalt vs Lincy/Cain is a wash. And the Giants easily have the better bullpen. But the Phillies obviously have the better offense. Will be a sick match-up if it happens.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
Hamels > Sanchez. But Sanchez is one of those guys that dazzles when he's on. Roy/Oswalt vs Lincy/Cain is a wash. And the Giants easily have the better bullpen. But the Phillies obviously have the better offense. Will be a sick match-up if it happens.

And here you wanted Reds/Giants the whole time.

I feel like you've cheated on me.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 11:51 PM)
And here you wanted Reds/Giants the whole time.

I feel like you've cheated on me.

Halladay and Lincecum got me doin' a total 180. It's rare for two pitchers of this caliber to have the October stage the same year. I know one thing, I'm clearing my schedule for any potential Halladay/Lincecum showdown(s). Hopefully a family member doesn't die or something and the funeral is scheduled the same night.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 01:18 AM)
Halladay and Lincecum got me doin' a total 180. It's rare for two pitchers of this caliber to have the October stage the same year. I know one thing, I'm clearing my schedule for any potential Halladay/Lincecum showdown(s). Hopefully a family member doesn't die or something and the funeral is scheduled the same night.

I actually think we see it quite a bit - hell, Lee-Sabathia was quite similar last year. What you don't see are two pitchers of that caliber put up the ridiculously dominant games that both Halladay and Lincecum did. Those two might throw dueling perfect games into the 12th inning if they do match up against one another.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 01:18 AM)

http://pinetarandpocketprotectors.wordpres...eason-faze-you/

Some fun facts about these guys' respective starts.