NLDS: Phillies vs. Reds

Brian

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 11:05 PM)
Phillies sweep this series.

Reds did not win a season series against a team with a winning record, I dont see them hanging with Philly.

Their record against winning teams is irrelevant at this point. It's a 5-game series. Anything can and probably will happen.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 12:05 AM)
Phillies sweep this series.

Reds did not win a season series against a team with a winning record, I dont see them hanging with Philly.

Volquez has been money since coming back up. That makes this a much more even matchup than it was earlier this year.

Volquez vs. Halladay.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 12:45 AM)
Their record against winning teams is irrelevant at this point. It's a 5-game series. Anything can and probably will happen.

How is it irrelevant? I get that its the baseball playoffs and anything can happen. I'm just saying that the Reds struggled against good teams all season and the Phillies were #1 in the NL. Is it possible the Reds sweep them? Of course, anything's possible. But comparing the teams on paper and they way have played all season, I think the Phillies are much better and should win easily IMO. We will see what happens though.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 10:12 AM)
How is it irrelevant? I get that its the baseball playoffs and anything can happen. I'm just saying that the Reds struggled against good teams all season and the Phillies were #1 in the NL. Is it possible the Reds sweep them? Of course, anything's possible. But comparing the teams on paper and they way have played all season, I think the Phillies are much better and should win easily IMO. We will see what happens though.

The Reds struggled against the Phillies in exactly 1 series...when they went into Philadelphia right before the AS break and were swept. They took 2/3 against the Phillies in Cincy earlier in the year. And frankly...neither of these teams are the same team that they were at the time. Jay Bruce had a much better 2nd half, Volquez is back, Chapman is in the bullpen, Oswalt and Utley are on the Phils.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
Reds are my favorite NL team which is why I know they'll get swept against the Phillies. They simply are not good enough. Honestly, I think this year was a fluke year. They don't have enough talent.

You've got to be kidding? They'll probably lose. But it certainly won't be from a lack of talent.

This Phillies team is outstanding. Much better than the 2008 team. They've really become the premier organization in baseball and a franchise that I wish (not holding my breath) that we can someday emulate. And before somebody pulls the payroll card keep in mind that 50 of their 138 million for this year is Ryan Howard (who's averaged 46 HRs a year since 2006), Chase Utley (the best 2b in baseball when healthy) and Roy Halladay (enough said). Howard and Utley came through the system and Halladay is a product of the system. So it's not like they're just going out and signing expensive free agents every year like the Yankees. Outside of Ibanez, Moyer and Lidge, they've got no bad contracts on their roster (I concede the Howard extension was pretty stupid). And they've more than proven that it is possible to have a loaded ML team and a productive farm.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
You've got to be kidding? They'll probably lose. But it certainly won't be from a lack of talent.

As seen today, it is from a talent standpoint. They don't have the talent to match up with the best. Honestly, in any other year, they would've been a 2nd place team in any division but the AL East and a fringe WildCard team. Dusty actually managed them very well and that's why they're there, but I wouldn't be shocked if they get swept at all.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
As seen today, it is from a talent standpoint. They don't have the talent to match up with the best. Honestly, in any other year, they would've been a 2nd place team in any division but the AL East and a fringe WildCard team. Dusty actually managed them very well and that's why they're there, but I wouldn't be shocked if they get swept at all.

No, they're losing to a better team and arguably the best pitcher in baseball. It's not because they have average talent. The Reds more than likely aren't going to win this series. But it's easy to see that this is a team (the Reds) that have a chance to be a perennial contender for the next 5 years.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
This Phillies team is outstanding. Much better than the 2008 team. They've really become the premier organization in baseball and a franchise that I wish (not holding my breath) that we can someday emulate. And before somebody pulls the payroll card keep in mind that 50 of their 138 million for this year is Ryan Howard (who's averaged 46 HRs a year since 2006), Chase Utley (the best 2b in baseball when healthy) and Roy Halladay (enough said). Howard and Utley came through the system and Halladay is a product of the system. So it's not like they're just going out and signing expensive free agents every year like the Yankees. Outside of Ibanez, Moyer and Lidge, they've got no bad contracts on their roster (I concede the Howard extension was pretty stupid). And they've more than proven that it is possible to have a loaded ML team and a productive farm.

I'll agree that they have done an incredible job, but you can't just disregard the payroll card. If they didn't have the $$$$$, their system would not have helped them get Halladay, cause they couldn't have afforded an extension. Their payroll also helped them keep farm products Howard & Utley around, unlike the Rays who have to let Crawford go. You mention they only have the 3 bad contracts, but those add up to $31 million. How many teams could afford that many bad contracts and still be as successful?

Granted, they did a great job of using the momentum of a big, new ballpark as well as success to get their payroll so high, but it was $93 mil in 04 already when the park opened, so they havent always been poor. Their fans also sell out nearly every game, which unfortunately not all teams can do even if they sustained the same level of succcess.

They are a team to emulate, especially the Sox, but their great payroll situation can't just be ignored.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
I'll agree that they have done an incredible job, but you can't just disregard the payroll card. If they didn't have the $$$$$, their system would not have helped them get Halladay, cause they couldn't have afforded an extension. Their payroll also helped them keep farm products Howard & Utley around, unlike the Rays who have to let Crawford go. You mention they only have the 3 bad contracts, but those add up to $31 million. How many teams could afford that many bad contracts and still be as successful?

Granted, they did a great job of using the momentum of a big, new ballpark as well as success to get their payroll so high, but it was $93 mil in 04 already when the park opened, so they havent always been poor. Their fans also sell out nearly every game, which unfortunately not all teams can do even if they sustained the same level of succcess.

They are a team to emulate, especially the Sox, but their great payroll situation can't just be ignored.

Ignored? No. I'm just saying they're not the Yankees of the NL (not even close). Something that I've read a few times around here. And I'm not just talking Halladay. What about Lee and Oswalt? When you can get three pitchers of the caliber in a year you're system is pretty f***ing loaded. We had a higher payroll just two years ago. And like you said, you win, they'll come. We can't seem to put a consistent winner together for a number of reasons. Despite the fact that we've only had one non-great team, who until this year we had a higher payroll, in our division to deal with.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
No, they're losing to a better team and arguably the best pitcher in baseball. It's not because they have average talent. The Reds more than likely aren't going to win this series. But it's easy to see that this is a team (the Reds) that have a chance to be a perennial contender for the next 5 years.

Disagree strongly. Phillips is soon going to be getting old. They don't have any ace pitchers. Chapman may be one, but it's too early to tell. And I never stated their talent is average. 2nd place is above average. But they're not an elite team. Elite teams are teams that make the playoffs. The only teams I can see the Reds beating are the Braves(because of injuries galore) and the Giants(besides Buster, they have no hitting. And yes, I include Pablo Sandoval).

As far as the Phillies, the high payroll does allow them to take care of business.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
Does this fool throw anything straight? Everything he throws moves or cuts. He's a pleasure to watch.

Don't think so. Ball looks heavy when he throw it tonight