Rick Hahn

klaus kinski

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 12:40 PM)
I have no idea why the GM of a team would give you a rooting interest. It would have absolutely no effect on me rooting for anything.

One way for a team to get my casual interest is to hire a sabermetric guy to assemble a team. Another way is to hire a sabermetric guy from the front office of my favorite team. As it stands, i go to the Met games about a half-dozen times per year, and it might be nice to see what Hahn could do with that ballclub. I'm not saying that i'd be a Mets fan, i'd just pay more attention to see what kind of approach that Hahn takes.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)
I don't know about you, but the Opera singing hotdog vendor in Detroit sure helps me hate them.

I have (thankfully) never been to Detroit.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
One way for a team to get my casual interest is to hire a sabermetric guy to assemble a team. Another way is to hire a sabermetric guy from the front office of my favorite team. As it stands, i go to the Met games about a half-dozen times per year, and it might be nice to see what Hahn could do with that ballclub. I'm not saying that i'd be a Mets fan, i'd just pay more attention to see what kind of approach that Hahn takes.

Fair enough. I just wouldn't give a rat's ass.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
So you are saying Hahn is the one to blame for that horrendous Mark Teahen contract extension?

It may have been a request from Kenny. If your boss tells you to get something done, you get it done.

The contract itself is not overly burdensome until you realize that Mark Teahen is nothing more than an average player. When Teahen was brought in, he was viewed as average defensively at 3B and solid offensively, so the Sox probably got a decent deal on Teahen overall. The problem is that he was horrendous defensively at 3B and was a mediocre hitter, and then he got hurt, and so the contract looks absolutely terrible.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
I find it amuzing how 'some' can turn a Rick Hahn thread into b****ing about Dan Hudson thread :)

I will b**** about that trade until 2020. Just terrible. It'd be so nice to have both he AND Sale dirt cheap, waiting to take over. It'd make either one of Danks/Floyd expendable and give us the ability to fill multiple holes on the fly.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
I will b**** about that trade until 2020. Just terrible. It'd be so nice to have both he AND Sale dirt cheap, waiting to take over. It'd make either one of Danks/Floyd expendable and give us the ability to fill multiple holes on the fly.

I saw nothing to suggest in the AL, Hudson would be anything like he was in the NL Worst. In the AL, he is nothing more than a 4.50 ERA guy. Jackson is a better pitcher, IMO. But I will give you that his salary would be a nice thing on the roster, but Hudson pitched in a horrible offensive division with no pressure.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
I always thought Hahn was more of a legal/financial type. Is there any indication he knows what he's doing with personnel decisions?

Hahn is more of that, but he also will take more statistical research into personnel decisions than KW.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
I saw nothing to suggest in the AL, Hudson would be anything like he was in the NL Worst. In the AL, he is nothing more than a 4.50 ERA guy. Jackson is a better pitcher, IMO. But I will give you that his salary would be a nice thing on the roster, but Hudson pitched in a horrible offensive division with no pressure.

It's like the movie Groundhog day with some of you guys concerning Hudson. Same old tired ass recycled bulls***. KW made a despicable trade. I'll just leave it at that.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)

Hahn is more of that, but he also will take more statistical research into personnel decisions than KW.

Once again, so did Jackson and put up terrible numbers.

Almost all the distaste from that trade is not that Jackson wasn't a nice guy to pickup, it's that Hudson was a key part to the Sox future. Having that cheap, but effective pitcher for years at the back of your rotation is exactly what the Sox need right now and for the near future with this expensive pitching staff. Plus, Hudson has shown some great peripherals throughout the minors and with the D'Backs, he could've been a solid #3 guy for years at a cheap price.

Jackson was a good pick up in my opinion, he just wasn't worth Hudson and combine the fact that we really needed Hudson to balance out the pitching staff in terms of salary without giving up any production and that trade makes little financial or baseball sense.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 04:55 PM)
Once again, so did Jackson and put up terrible numbers.

Almost all the distaste from that trade is not that Jackson wasn't a nice guy to pickup, it's that Hudson was a key part to the Sox future. Having that cheap, but effective pitcher for years at the back of your rotation is exactly what the Sox need right now and for the near future with this expensive pitching staff. Plus, Hudson has shown some great peripherals throughout the minors and with the D'Backs, he could've been a solid #3 guy for years at a cheap price.

Jackson was a good pick up in my opinion, he just wasn't worth Hudson and combine the fact that we really needed Hudson to balance out the pitching staff in terms of salary without giving up any production and that trade makes little financial or baseball sense.

You're being a lot kinder than me. I don't even think it was that great a pick-up. The guy's basically had one dominant half of pitching (first half of '08) surrounded by a lot of mediocreness (I know that's not a word). This was clearly a case of a GM who's biggest strength is his biggest weakness in that he's always, and I mean always, playing for the right now while blatantly ignoring the future. No matter how many times this formula fails.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
Let's see what happens next year (Jackon vs Hudson) but my point was, this trade is dead and done, and has nothing to do with Rick Hahn, let's stick with the subject, that's all.

More like the next 6 years. I agree with your overall point, though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
Although the Mets have a lot of resources, their ownership situation hasn't exactly been of the sort that leaves one riddled with confidence lately. If I recall correctly, they got hammered in the housing bust.

I think they were Madoffed.

As for Hahn, this is a typical Chicago back up QB thread. They have always been, until this year, one of the most popular players on the team. We really have no idea how he would fare as a GM. As for his chances with the Mets, I read where they aren't going to be spending much on players so they want to make a splash with potential season ticketholders with the GM and Manager. He probably isn't a big enough name. I would imagine if KW quit tonight, he would be the heir apparent, but Oney had some not so flattering things to say about him, and Oney get most of his thoughts from Ozzie, so I really wonder if that might be worse than the KW/OG spat. Dan Fabian supposedly would take Hahn's place if he left and he's the king of saber in the White Sox organization. When the Sox negotiate the real huge contracts, JR steps in anyway. He's the Sox top negotiator.

I'm not saying Hahn wouldn't be a loss. He's obviously pretty valuable, but the Sox have pieces to cover for him in case he leaves. If there is an opportunity to be a GM out there with a team that is committed to winning, unless he's satisfied being an assitant, he has to jump at it. He's a smart guy. He passed on Pittsburgh. He knows that is just hanging himself.

Edited by Dick Allen

I'll laugh if Hudson ends up like all the other great cheap prospects of the Sox such as Reed and McCarthy. I've never seen a guy so overvalued in my life. I get the feeling that people would take "6 cheap years of Dan Hudson" over 2 years of Doc Halladay because he was cheaper.

And Rick Hahn, while seemingly a nice fellow, is overrated on this board as well.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)
I'll laugh if Hudson ends up like all the other great cheap prospects of the Sox such as Reed and McCarthy. I've never seen a guy so overvalued in my life. I get the feeling that people would take "6 cheap years of Dan Hudson" over 2 years of Doc Halladay because he was cheaper.

And Rick Hahn, while seemingly a nice fellow, is overrated on this board as well.

When there are 25 players on a roster, not every one can be paid $20 million.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 06:14 PM)
I long for the day that the Sox look past the fact that Boras is a vermin and work with him. Its a fact of business that sometimes you need to deal with scum. Grin and bear it.

They do when they have to work with him. They avoid it when they can because they don't want to grossly overpay nor do they want to deal with players who almost certainly end up testing free agency. I like that they avoid working with Boras.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)

Ahahahaha. LOL. That's hilarious. That's almost as delusional as somebody claiming Ben Gordon is the equal to Brandon Roy. Oh wait......