2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
And next on the list will be Chris Paul and Dwight Howard. And when Blake Griffin is eligible he's gone. This is unbelievable. I figure we've got two years MAX to win a title with D-rose as the centerpiece before he becomes a FA or gets traded because of a beef with TT or complains about not winning.

strong owners and weak union means that owners are going to get basically what they want when the CBA is redone. It's reportedly one of the reasons the Bulls don't want to add any significant payroll before tomorrow, they're hoping to get a real good player when the hard cap is instituted and a team needs to shed a salary.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
That was my initial thought. You dealt important draft picks and a decent young PG AND your top young "prospect" in Favors just to save face and say you landed a superstar.

Let's see how Deron looks with such a s***ty supporting cast.

it depends on which 1st round picks the Nets gave up and whether they are protected or not. Mid to late first round picks just don't have a ton of value in the NBA unless you are the San Antonio Spurs.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 10:45 AM)
I really think the NBA is going to have an extended lockout, it seems like there are going to be huge philosophical differences between the owners and players that aren't going to be easy to solve.

The way things are going with "player collusion" and consolidation of talent are HUGE issues for the long term health of the league.

What teams should be be looking out for as the next "destination" city? I assume we'll see a lot of talent try to go to the Lakers, and to replace the aging Celtics. Top talents has NO interest in playing for Minnesota, the Clippers, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Detroit, or Charlotte.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
it depends on which 1st round picks the Nets gave up and whether they are protected or not. Mid to late first round picks just don't have a ton of value in the NBA unless you are the San Antonio Spurs.

Plus Devin Harris sucks. He's totally regressed since his breakout '09. But like you said, I want to get details on the picks. Otherwise this is a sham of a deal for Utah.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 10:53 AM)
strong owners and weak union means that owners are going to get basically what they want when the CBA is redone. It's reportedly one of the reasons the Bulls don't want to add any significant payroll before tomorrow, they're hoping to get a real good player when the hard cap is instituted and a team needs to shed a salary.

Do you have a link to where I can see current cap data? I remember being told on here that the cap would probably be high enough as to not require the Heat to shed one of the "big three", but what other teams would be impacted?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 10:53 AM)

Which is an interesting sidebar to all of this. The reality is, even if the Bulls added Melo and extended him. It would have meant that someone else would have to go in the future.

I don't think either a potential NBA or NFL lockout would be overly extended simply because no matter how much they've been warned, I don't think a majority of players saved enough money and once checks start being missed those guys are going to put pressure to end it quickly.

I know these guys make a ton of money, but if you're not an established vet that has had a few years of a big money deal, you didn't save and you continued a lifestyle either at or even above your means, you will be hurting for money real fast.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)
Do you have a link to where I can see current cap data? I remember being told on here that the cap would probably be high enough as to not require the Heat to shed one of the "big three", but what other teams would be impacted?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/miami.htm

But if there is a hard cap in the new CBA (which many think is possible), they will be royally F'd. They will still likely be able to keep the big three, but will have to have minimum-salaried players filling out their roster. So likely no first-round picks could fit, no Mike Miller, Haslems, etc.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)

I actually wouldn't be shocked, or even annoyed, if they did some sort of "phase in" of a cap, ie if you have some guys on longer term deals you get a grace period. Not sure exactly what teams, WSCR was talking about the Bulls scenario of wanting flexibility. Although, for some teams you have to look at the mid level guys making 10-12m a year, those are usually the cap killers, not so much the superstars, look at Martin Gortat's deal, that thing sucks

Although, this is just a pure personal speculation, if Heat flame out in the playoffs short of a championship the next 2 years, Wade and Lebron's people will get in there ear about it being Bosh and they'll get him out of town.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/miami.htm

But if there is a hard cap in the new CBA (which many think is possible), they will be royally F'd. They will still likely be able to keep the big three, but will have to have minimum-salaried players filling out their roster. So likely no first-round picks could fit, no Mike Miller, Haslems, etc.

I just looked at the Lakers salary situation, WOW! If a hard cap was put in below $80m they are really screwed.

Quick update (from Feb 20th): The NBA is pushing to implement a hard salary cap that could also include rollbacks on current contracts.

The rollbacks would help implement a hard cap easier and faster

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
I just looked at the Lakers salary situation, WOW! If a hard cap was put in below $80m they are really screwed.

Quick update (from Feb 20th): The NBA is pushing to implement a hard salary cap that could also include rollbacks on current contracts.

The rollbacks would help implement a hard cap easier and faster

What would the rollbacks mean? NBA pays the remainder of the salary and the team cuts the player?

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
What would the rollbacks mean? NBA pays the remainder of the salary and the team cuts the player?

all contracts are modified and the player makes less money. Lebron is scheduled to make $16,022,500 next year. A rollback of 5% (for example) would decrease his salary to $15,221,375 (net loss of $801,125)

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 11:59 AM)
I don't think either a potential NBA or NFL lockout would be overly extended simply because no matter how much they've been warned, I don't think a majority of players saved enough money and once checks start being missed those guys are going to put pressure to end it quickly.

I know these guys make a ton of money, but if you're not an established vet that has had a few years of a big money deal, you didn't save and you continued a lifestyle either at or even above your means, you will be hurting for money real fast.

This is exactly what happened in the 1999 NBA Lockout...eventually the Union broke because the players hadn't saved enough money. But...that cost more than 1/2 the season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)
This is exactly what happened in the 1999 NBA Lockout...eventually the Union broke because the players hadn't saved enough money. But...that cost more than 1/2 the season.

If owners got a hard cap or a franchise tag type deal I'm sure they'll eat 1/2 a season again

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
The way things are going with "player collusion" and consolidation of talent are HUGE issues for the long term health of the league.

What teams should be be looking out for as the next "destination" city? I assume we'll see a lot of talent try to go to the Lakers, and to replace the aging Celtics. Top talents has NO interest in playing for Minnesota, the Clippers, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Detroit, or Charlotte.

You can add to that list a lot, with non-destination teams. The Pacers, the Kings, the Raptors, Philadelphia to some extent, Atlanta, Charlotte, Washington, Denver, Utah, Golden State, Phoenix after Nash leaves, New Orleans, Memphis, maybe Houston.

The real thing to realize is that there are enough small-market, nearly-money-losing NBA teams that have no shot at competing for a Lebron or an Anthony in FA that they can constitute a voting majority at this point.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
Anyone have any thoughts on Courtney Lee? Reports are that the Bulls are interested. I actually like him better than Mayo. Mayo has more upside, but I think Lee fits better for what the Bulls are looking for.

I think Lee would be a better fit as a teammate and a person too.

bummer i was hoping to hear news on us acquiring Lee, Jackson, or Mayo when i signed on...if a trade goes down today will the player we got be eligible to play against the heat tomorrow? Not that were gonna really need him or anything but itd be nice to add a piece and beat the top rated heat in his first game.

Lee is a bad defender, Mayo's a bad defender, Parker's not a good defender either. All these guys have Dratings around 110. Bogans is actually one of the better defensive 2 guards in the league, according to Drating.

Mayo's had a very bad year offensively. PER likes Lee the most out of this group this year, but Mayo's definitely the high up-side guy who the Bulls should aim for.

Update! According to Yahoo! Sports: “The Chicago Bulls are still pursuing shooting guard Courtney Lee, offering a first-round draft pick to the Houston Rockets, sources said. Chicago could make the offer more intriguing with the addition of the Miami Heat’s 2011 first-round pick that the Bulls acquired from Toronto for forward James Johnson on Tuesday. For now, the Rockets are determined to bring back size and want Bulls center Omer Asik in any package for Lee.”

I love Omer but we've got Taj and Thomas(whos shown he can be serviceable) who can be our back ups this year and then 1 or 2 first round picks(depending on whether houston would do just asik for lee) in the draft where you can replace Omer/Thomas. I know the bulls really like Omer and for good reason but hes behind Booz, Noah, and Taj, Lee would be behind no one.