2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 09:57 PM)
It's officially time to stop saying that Derrick Rose doesn't play defense or is a liability on defense, it's just flat-out not true anymore.

We can replace it with "shoots too much" as his criticism :P

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
It's officially time to stop saying that Derrick Rose doesn't play defense or is a liability on defense, it's just flat-out not true anymore.

I'd counter this by saying he's probably still in the bottom third of starting PG's in the league when it comes to 1 on 1 defense.

However, in Thibodeau's defensive system, in which interior defense is such a key element, it's not going to be a dealbreaker if the opposition beat Rose off the dribble, because you've got the likes of Noah and Asik waiting inside.

Kind of like Howard with the Magic really (when you look at someone like Nelson).

That's why I'd argue Howard is a real MVP candidate because no-one impacts both ends of the court as much as he does in the NBA (but that's an argument for another time).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 02:13 AM)
I'd counter this by saying he's probably still in the bottom third of starting PG's in the league when it comes to 1 on 1 defense.

However, in Thibodeau's defensive system, in which interior defense is such a key element, it's not going to be a dealbreaker if the opposition beat Rose off the dribble, because you've got the likes of Noah and Asik waiting inside.

Kind of like Howard with the Magic really (when you look at someone like Nelson).

That's why I'd argue Howard is a real MVP candidate because no-one impacts both ends of the court as much as he does in the NBA (but that's an argument for another time).

The article lost posted suggests otherwise.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 02:13 AM)

Actually that is what he is probably best at this season. He struggles more on weak-side help and in the pick and roll game.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 03:13 AM)

Compared to December/November, it's night and day.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 08:30 AM)
Congrats! He did something that Kevin Love has done (at the very least) 34 times this season.

If posting someone's name like that after a double-double is annoying, I'm really sorry. Imagine if I did it like 50 times or something.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 11:37 PM)
Actually that is what he is probably best at this season. He struggles more on weak-side help and in the pick and roll game.

I guess for a PG, you can kind of associate pick and roll defense with 1 on 1 defense, because so many teams use the pick and roll game as a base offense.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)
If posting someone's name like that after a double-double is annoying, I'm really sorry. Imagine if I did it like 50 times or something.

Couldn't care less, to be honest. People can post whatever the hell they want. If it makes you happy to post his name after he did something you deemed worthy, more power to you.

Let the record show that I never posted Love's name after a measly 11-point, 16-rebound performance though. That's kid's play :P

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
Trust me, there are things I don't like about players on all of my favorite teams. I still think Derrick Rose is a Dbag for having his brother take his SATs.

Rose never had any interest in college its not like he used that to get a degree, because of the NBA's stupid rule that makes Rose a dbag? And he didn't rob his teammates of being runners up, they still experienced it with or without the record books saying it.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
Couldn't care less, to be honest.

Your comment said otherwise.

To be 100% honest, Kevin Love is a delight and I was one of his biggest backers coming out of UCLA. I like giving you s*** because you can take it, but I by no means want you to stop posting about the kid. He's not an NBA superstar nor is he a top 10-15-20 talent in the league, but he's a damn fine player and like I've said would make a fantastic secondary player on a playoff team and an even better tertiary player on a championship team.

:cheers

I just love Omer for no reason. I think he has pretty big upside and we saw a sneak peak of it last night. Plus, his teammates clearly love him.

The best thing to me about the Bulls is the lack of egos on the team and bad seeds. Everybody pulls for one another, everybody knows their role and plays it perfectly. Rose is clearly the leader and star, but he always credits his teammates for everything. This is perhaps the most unselfish team I have ever seen in the NBA.

We all knew this was coming. Absolutely hilarious!

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/03/18/ber...le-saves-world/

Omer's Double-Double Saves World

By Dan Bernstein–

The effects of Omer Asik’s achievement of double-figure points and rebounds in the same game were felt immediately last night, improving all aspects of life around the globe.

Financial markets rallied broadly on the news of the rookie center’s 11-point, 16-rebound performance in New Jersey, while prices for crude oil dropped.

At a joint press conference in Washington, President Barack Obama and Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan expressed the joy and hope spreading across oceans.

“This is a proud day for all of us,” Obama said. “Omer is a citizen of Turkey, and he plays in America, but his long-awaited double-double is celebrated by every person on earth. God Bless America, and Go Omer!”

Elsewhere:

– Al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri appeared in a grainy video, smiling and giving Asik’s signature “two thumbs up” gesture. “We are done with the whole ‘violent jihad against the Great Satan’ thing,” al-Zawahiri said. “What’s the point, now? As soon as he got that tip-in, I kinda forgot what we were so mad about.”

– Congressional Democrats and Republicans hammered out sweeping compromises on the federal budget, health care, gun control and tax policy. House Speaker John Boehner and minority leader Nancy Pelosi watched the final minute of Bulls/Nets next to each other on a couch in Pelosi’s office. “There are just some things that trigger real emotions,” a tearful Boehner said.

– Leaders of Mexico’s largest and most violent drug cartels, all wearing Bulls jerseys, turned themselves in to authorities and announced their shared intention to redirect their money and efforts toward building hospitals and schools for the nation’s poor. “We have been inspired to do better,” Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman said.

– Scientists at the Centers for Disease Control noticed an instant disappearance of the most communicable and virulent forms of influenza that coincided with the Nets’ official scorer entering data from last night’s game into the NBA system. A CDC spokesperson said “There will be no pandemic of any kind this year, or ever.”

– Global temperatures began to stabilize during Asik’s eight-point, nine-rebound first half. By the end of the game, polar ice caps had reappeared, and areas of the Amazon rainforest had re-grown with young trees exactly seven feet tall.

– Jay Leno retired, telling reporters that Asik’s volleyball-style block of a Sundiata Gaines layup attempt caused a powerful self-realization. “It comes down to the fact that I am just not that funny, and, more importantly, I lack the requisite intellectual curiosity to be an effective or compelling interviewer.”

– Foods that were bad for you are now good for you. US government nutritional guidelines have been altered to reflect new recommendations — “Double-Double” portions of such things as cheese toast, chimichangas, and Twix. The Center for Science in the Public Interest changed the description of fettuccine alfredo from “heart attack on a plate” to “big bowl of awesome.”

– The Southern Poverty Law Center noted a marked decline in the number of hate groups across the US. “A white man picked up the slack for a black man in foul trouble, and he came through,” said SPLC President Richard Cohen. “How can that not move you?”

Asik was unavailable for comment.

In related news, astronomers have identified a large meteor that is on a trajectory to collide with Earth sometime in the next month, possibly ending life as we know it. Experts believe the only thing that can possibly prevent catastrophe is a twenty-point scoring outburst by forward Brian Scalabrine.

Brian "White Mamba" Scalabrine, because he missed a shot to get the Bulls 100 points the other night, is going to be at a McDonald's downtown today and is buying Big Mac's for the first 100 folks to show up in Bulls gear.

His legend is growing, and this is the most like-able team of all-time.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 02:06 AM)
Brian "White Mamba" Scalabrine, because he missed a shot to get the Bulls 100 points the other night, is going to be at a McDonald's downtown today and is buying Big Mac's for the first 100 folks to show up in Bulls gear.

Human Victory Cigar v2.0?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 10:06 AM)

Not to call you out, but the Bulls were in New Jersey last night and play in Indiana tonight. Does Scalabrine not travel on road trips?