2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 10:04 PM)
I don't know if you can judge the Celtics on their regular season play anymore, even though this team has looked terrible since the Perkins trade. Orlando doesn't really scare me more than Boston.

CoachThibzJoker.gif

lol Joker-esque alright.

What? Carlos Boozer played defense?

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
I don't know if you can judge the Celtics on their regular season play anymore, even though this team has looked terrible since the Perkins trade. Orlando doesn't really scare me more than Boston.

Boston just isn't that scary since the Perkins trade, everyone knew it was a dumb trade and it's certainly turned out to be one.

Definitely think we're heading towards a Bulls-Heat ECF.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
Boston just isn't that scary since the Perkins trade, everyone knew it was a dumb trade and it's certainly turned out to be one.

Agreed and with home court the Bulls have a good chance of making the NBA finals. I still can't get over just how stupid that Perkins trade was. Usually when a trade ends up badly a team makes it to improve their team in the present and gives up a young talented player who ends up a stud. Rarely do you see a trade that just makes no sense whatsoever at the time it was made that significantly downgrades a championship caliber team and a move that hurts that teams matchup with the other two premier teams in their conference. The Celtics biggest advantage against the Heat was size and they lost that when they made that trade and they obviously matched up much better with the Bulls when they had a legit defensive inside presence.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)

That deal has just destroyed their season.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
I learned last year not to doubt the Celtics based on regular season play.

i tend to agree with this, however they are neck and neck with Miami for home court for a potential 2nd round match-up. Also, the Perkins trade changes my opinion of them a lot. Green is a good player, but Perkins had the physical presence they need this year, especially against a Heat team that struggles against size in the middle.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
They're just not the same team with out Perkins, that's pretty obvious.

They'd be fine with a healthy Shaq/Jermaine. But both have been massive busts. They're a year older. And they didn't see any eastern conference team last year as good as this Bulls team. That said, you can't sleep on them and act as if they don't exist, either (not saying you're doing that).

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
They'd be fine with a healthy Shaq/Jermaine. But both have been massive busts. They're a year older. And they didn't see any eastern conference team last year as good as this Bulls team. That said, you can't sleep on them and act as if they don't exist, either (not saying you're doing that).

I haven't see anything out of these Boston match ups that tells me they have another gear they haven't been using yet. Perkins being gone, and them having essentially no second unit is really going to be there undoing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
I haven't see anything out of these Boston match ups that tells me they have another gear they haven't been using yet. Perkins being gone, and them having essentially no second unit is really going to be there undoing.

They get 1 more matchup with the Heat in a few days right? That's gonna be a good test to see if anything is really different for them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
They get 1 more matchup with the Heat in a few days right? That's gonna be a good test to see if anything is really different for them.

Sunday TNT doubleheader of bulls/magic and celtics heat. Great day.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 12:38 PM)

The C's had a chance at chasing down the Bulls for the top seed. As far as I am concerned, that is about as good of a test as anything. Plus there hasn't been anything in their other match ups that screams Eastern Conference Champs at me.

Anybody ever look at John Hollinger's Twitter feed? He basically just rips Derrick Rose on it a few times a week, and then last night he was on there saying Rose is 6th in his mind for MVP while he also bragged about not watching the game. How the hell does a guy like that have a paying job at ESPN? He's basically just an advanced metrics dude. And, while such things work really well in an individualized game like baseball, the same cannot be said for basketball. At all. Any statistical category that says Derrick Rose is the 6th most valuable player really should just be laughed at.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)
The C's had a chance at chasing down the Bulls for the top seed. As far as I am concerned, that is about as good of a test as anything. Plus there hasn't been anything in their other match ups that screams Eastern Conference Champs at me.

Difference is they could of beat the Bulls and still not get the 1 seed, the Heat/Celtics matchup should almost be a sure fire thing on who gets the 2nd seed.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
Difference is they could of beat the Bulls and still not get the 1 seed, the Heat/Celtics matchup should almost be a sure fire thing on who gets the 2nd seed.

Still. If they had it in them, it should have been on the floor. Period. If they couldn't get up for that game, they are the type of team that would quit in a series anyway.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
Anybody ever look at John Hollinger's Twitter feed? He basically just rips Derrick Rose on it a few times a week, and then last night he was on there saying Rose is 6th in his mind for MVP while he also bragged about not watching the game. How the hell does a guy like that have a paying job at ESPN? He's basically just an advanced metrics dude. And, while such things work really well in an individualized game like baseball, the same cannot be said for basketball. At all. Any statistical category that says Derrick Rose is the 6th most valuable player really should just be laughed at.

This 100 percent sums up my feelings. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem whatsoever with stat heads but if you're not going to watch these games and expect me to respect you as a basketball mind, you got another thing coming. This guy is good with numbers(hell, some of his stats are very useful) but he doesn't understand the game of basketball at all.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)

I bet he had Dirk, LeBron, Wade, and Dwight ahead of Rose. Don't know the other guy, Kobe?

BTW...this was on the NBA.com MVP race article.

"Resistance is futile -- and at this point, contrarian, self-indulgent and embarrassing. When a numbers fetishist claims that Rose's performance in 2010-11 ranks no higher than sixth place on a five-slot ballot, that person is imagining some other, non-existent award. Go buy a trophy -- say, a big bronze slide-rule -- slap a name on it and hand that out. Just don't call it the MVP. "

Nice jab at Hollinger.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
I have no problem whatsoever with stat heads but if you're not going to watch these games and expect me to respect you as a basketball mind, you got another thing coming.

Cough, Zoomslowik, cough.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)

When you say "rips Derrick Rose," do you mean says that he's a really good player, but isn't the MVP of the league because the Bulls success is more dependent on their defense than Rose? Because I don't really understand what's so wrong about that.

I agree that advanced metrics aren't perfect in basketball, but to ignore them because they don't agree with your opinion is just as stupid as old-timey baseball people ignoring Jeter's obviously deficient defense because their eyes say otherwise. Hollinger watches plenty of basketball and doesn't just stare at numbers all day. He uses the numbers to supplement his basketball interest and help give a better all-around view of a player/team.

And because I can't help myself, why are all Bulls fans so damn defensive about everything related to their team? I've tend to notice this with anything related to the Bulls, not just the Rose/MVP talk, but someone said Rose wasn't MVP, big deal. Just about everyone else still thinks he is. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, why do you guys seem to always go apes*** when other people don't think the same thing as you?

A great line from Bill Simmon's column posted today.

The 2011 Bulls are better than any 2010 Eastern team. There's no comparison, actually. All season long I've been watching them with the same frightened look that Mickey had during Clubber Lang's fights in the beginning if "Rocky 3."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;sportCat=nba

Lots of Bulls, obviously.

There are legitimate arguments against Rose winning the MVP but I'm going to be pissed if Thibodeau doesn't win coach of the year. His defensive philosophies are simply incredible and has been the biggest reason for the Bulls improvement this year (obviously Rose becoming a legit superstar played a large part as well).

Simmons has feared the Bulls since the beginning of the year. If he had a better voice, ESPN would probably be using him on their NBA studio shows. Or at least should be. His book on basketball is great.

Interesting point comparing them to the 2010 Eastern teams. He is probably right.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)
Cough, Zoomslowik, cough.

No, I actually respect the hell out of Zoom, he knows his s*** and he definitely watches games. He's one of the brighter basketball minds on this board imo.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 03:07 PM)
When you say "rips Derrick Rose," do you mean says that he's a really good player, but isn't the MVP of the league because the Bulls success is more dependent on their defense than Rose? Because I don't really understand what's so wrong about that.

I agree that advanced metrics aren't perfect in basketball, but to ignore them because they don't agree with your opinion is just as stupid as old-timey baseball people ignoring Jeter's obviously deficient defense because their eyes say otherwise. Hollinger watches plenty of basketball and doesn't just stare at numbers all day. He uses the numbers to supplement his basketball interest and help give a better all-around view of a player/team.

And because I can't help myself, why are all Bulls fans so damn defensive about everything related to their team? I've tend to notice this with anything related to the Bulls, not just the Rose/MVP talk, but someone said Rose wasn't MVP, big deal. Just about everyone else still thinks he is. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, why do you guys seem to always go apes*** when other people don't think the same thing as you?

I've pretty much stayed out of the MVP talk until the last few weeks because some of the comparisons that people are throwing out there for Rose's game are just ridiculous. Just as in any sport you have to take the stats with the eye test but basketball it's so much more important to watch the games than it is to sit there and analyze statistics. If Hollinger is really going to tell me he's not watching Rose play but he can justify saying he deserves to be 6th on a MVP ballot than he's a f***in moron. You watch a bunch of Bulls games and you realize just how important and just how good Derrick is, period.