2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
It's all well and good to talk about next year, but this labor situation will NOT be pretty and I am almost 100% sure we'll miss games next year.

Oh for sure. This situation is actually a lot worse than the NFL too. The NBA could cancel the entire season next year and it would not surprise me. Although I suppose the NFL still could too, in theory, but I don't see how that will happen.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 27, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
Oh for sure. This situation is actually a lot worse than the NFL too. The NBA could cancel the entire season next year and it would not surprise me. Although I suppose the NFL still could too, in theory, but I don't see how that will happen.

I do think the NBA union will fold a lot quicker than the NFL one.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:49 AM)
If i was mega rich like that i would walk around in pajamas everywhere i go, to all the fanciest clubs and restaurants and all that, and id be throwing tacos from a taco bell 12-pack everywhere making it rain.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Real @ May 27, 2011 -> 12:42 AM)
Next year rose will average 28/10, you can book it

I wouldn't be surprised if it was 29/12, he is legitimately embarassed at how his team went out in this series, he's gonna bust his ass at getting better

i know this isn't what a lot of people want to hear right now (understandbly so), but the bulls are gonna be awesome next year

lolwut

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)
I do think the NBA union will fold a lot quicker than the NFL one.

I think the opposite. The NFL is largely fighting over $1 billion.... how is that divided. There wont be a cut in player salaries. they just want more of the pie. The NBA has some serious financial issues and the solutions wont be easy to swallow: Reduced pay, contraction

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
I think the opposite.

Oh it's the total opposite. If people think the stuff the owners of the NFL are trying to force onto the players are bad, wait until you see what Stern has in mind. Even though it was a 50 game season, the 1998-1999 season wasn't too far away from being totally wiped out, and the league was in better shape back then. There are so many teams losing money right now, and that combined for Stern's demand for a hard, low salary cap is going to cause a long stalemate.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 27, 2011 -> 08:32 AM)
Yeah I'm still depressed.

Trying to stay optimistic though. I really think they'll be able to find someone to bring in to take this team to the next level. Who wouldn't want to play with a 22 year, out-of-this-world point guard that only has room to improve and an elite coach?

The only issue is making it work under the cap. I'd have more fun speculating if I even knew whether there would be an NBA next year and how things will be structured.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
Mark Cuban is what I would be if I were super rich and owned a sports team. I love the guy.

I think he's kind of a phony, though I'd probably be just like him too if I had his dough (and was his age). He just seems way too much the "look at me" media whore for my personal tastes. His whole "maybe I'll buy the Cubs" flirtation was just an attention-grabbing stroke of the sheep, no different than Trump's "maybe I'll run for president." Not saying its not smart, it just rubs me the wrong way.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 27, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
Oh it's the total opposite. If people think the stuff the owners of the NFL are trying to force onto the players are bad, wait until you see what Stern has in mind. Even though it was a 50 game season, the 1998-1999 season wasn't too far away from being totally wiped out, and the league was in better shape back then. There are so many teams losing money right now, and that combined for Stern's demand for a hard, low salary cap is going to cause a long stalemate.

and contraction has floated about. It might be a bargining ploy, but I think it's possible.

(My personal opinion is that each league (except maybe the NFL) needs to trim 2-6 teams.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 27, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
and contraction has floated about. It might be a bargining ploy, but I think it's possible.

(My personal opinion is that each league (except maybe the NFL) needs to trim 2-6 teams.

Getting rid of the Kings and Hornets should absolutely happen given their ownership situations. You could easily make a case for Charlotte too, or Memphis and Indiana if you stretched it a bit (though those two teams seem to be headed in the right direction).

The only problem with that is it would give the NBA a chance to rig a contraction draft and put Chris Paul in either New York or LA. :lolhitting

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 27, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
I think the opposite. The NFL is largely fighting over $1 billion.... how is that divided. There wont be a cut in player salaries. they just want more of the pie. The NBA has some serious financial issues and the solutions wont be easy to swallow: Reduced pay, contraction

No, the owners want to lessen the players' share of profits.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:06 AM)
Dallas can shoot and I really see no reason to believe that Miami is going to play a drastically different style of offense against Dallas. Dallas will watch the Bulls tape and may even go into zone to further force Miami to shoot jump shots.

Their perimeter defenders aren't anywhere near as good as the Bulls though.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 27, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
Getting rid of the Kings and Hornets should absolutely happen given their ownership situations. You could easily make a case for Charlotte too, or Memphis and Indiana if you stretched it a bit (though those two teams seem to be headed in the right direction).

The only problem with that is it would give the NBA a chance to rig a contraction draft and put Chris Paul in either New York or LA. :lolhitting

The Twolves would get Paul and promptly trade him to Miani

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 27, 2011 -> 08:39 AM)
Mark Cuban is what I would be if I were super rich and owned a sports team. I love the guy.

I hate the guy but realize it's a jealousy thing because like you if I were super rich, that'd be me, too. Go Mavs!!! I never root for the Western Conference

(well, almost never) but because of my hatred for LeBron, I gotta go with Dallas. Besides, what's not to like about Dirk?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 27, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)

They also have the group of players that is going to need their paychecks more than any other. The NFL union has been preparing their players for years for this. The NBA? I haven't heard a peep about financial planning and putting money away. Not to mention judging by some of the geniuses in the NBA, I am guessing more players there live paycheck to paycheck as compared to any of the other "major" sports.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ May 27, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
I'm under the impression that nobody is gonna take his bloated contract.

On the contrary, it's an expiring contract...in 4 years

Here we go...

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/05/27/gil...-championships/

CHICAGO (WSCR) After the Chicago Bulls lost to the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference finals on Thursday night, the consensus seems to be that if they had one more perimeter scorer, that they could have had enough firepower to knock off the Heat.

But there’s also concern over forward Carlos Boozer. And there’s a player down in Florida who could be on the move sometime soon, and despite it being a long-shot right now, would look very good in a Bulls uniform.

“If I’m Dwight Howard, there’s two places for me to go: the Los Angeles Lakers or the Chicago Bulls,” former Bull and current analyst Kendall Gill said on the Mully and Hanley Show. “Now, do I want to go play with a 33, 34-year old Kobe Bryant who has a couple years left? Or do I want to go to Chicago and play with a young stud like Derrick Rose who has 10, 12 years left, and I’m just 25 years old myself?”