2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
You're telling me there is no combination of 3 players out there that could be better than Miami's big 3?

I have no idea because of salary cap/rest-of-roster concerns.

But Miami automatically gets a differential status because they have the most talented player in the league as part of their three.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)
If the CBA stays as-is, I have no doubt that's exactly what would happen. Their bench would fill out happily with the MLE and veterans exemptions every year, they'd be the deepest team in the NBA next year from guys who are free agents and want a ring, and they'll be in a position to have lots of expiring deals every year. They couldn't do it this year prior to the season because they had to actually sign the little 3, but they were able to wrap things up once the season got underway and other teams started making cuts.

Mike Bibby turned down $5 million in exchange for a ring and he's going to get it.

Good for him but...

I don´t get why players would turn down so much money for a ring, especially considering that they are role players and probably didn´t make a ton of money in their prime years...I hate to sound greedy but I´d make as much money as I can as a player especially since we know a sports career is essentially over by your mid to late 30s.Guys like Barkley and Malone chasing rings I get, they made top dollar in their prime, but Bibby?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
You're telling me there is no combination of 3 players out there that could be better than Miami's big 3?

I know it´ll never happen but pair up DRose, Durant and DHoward and that is greater than the Miami Big Three...I know, not gonna happen but I can dream.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
I have no idea because of salary cap/rest-of-roster concerns.

But Miami automatically gets a differential status because they have the most talented player in the league as part of their three.

Dwight+Kobe+rest of Lakers roster is probably better.

Paul+Carmelo+Amare is pretty damn good.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
Good for him but...

I don´t get why players would turn down so much money for a ring, especially considering that they are role players and probably didn´t make a ton of money in their prime years...I hate to sound greedy but I´d make as much money as I can as a player especially since we know a sports career is essentially over by your mid to late 30s.Guys like Barkley and Malone chasing rings I get, they made top dollar in their prime, but Bibby?

Bibby's contract in 2002 was worth 90.5M. If Bibby wasn't an idiot with his money, he should be set for life with or without $5M. The emotional satisfaction of winning a championship will likely have a bigger impact on his life than 5M.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
Bibby's contract in 2002 was worth 90.5M. If Bibby wasn't an idiot with his money, he should be set for life with or without $5M. The emotional satisfaction of winning a championship will likely have a bigger impact on his life than 5M.

lol, who was stupid enough to pay Bibby that kind of money?I never knew he got that kind of bank, makes sense now, lol

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
Good for him but...

You are seriously underestimating how much NBA players make. Mike Bibby's career salary is over $100 million dollars. Marginal players like Darko are making $4 or 5 million a year. Good veterans that want a ring will see Miami as an incredibly desirable place to go. Especially if said veteran is a PG or big man.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
You are seriously underestimating how much NBA players make. Mike Bibby's career salary is over $100 million dollars. Marginal players like Darko are making $4 or 5 million a year. Good veterans that want a ring will see Miami as an incredibly desirable place to go. Especially if said veteran is a PG or big man.

Also, if you have a good 10 minutes per game in the playoffs on a championship team, that can earn you a new contract. See Tim Thomas, Gortat, Hedo, etc.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
lol, who was stupid enough to pay Bibby that kind of money?I never knew he got that kind of bank, makes sense now, lol

Bibby was a stud on those good Sacramento teams w/ Weber. If not for the NBA-fix, he'd have one ring already.

sad to see shaq go, but it was his time

The most dominant player in the NBA since Jordan (to date), and if you ask me I'd say the best too.

Think of how silly the guys scoring numbers would have been if he could shoot just 70% from the line

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 05:09 PM)
Bibby was a stud on those good Sacramento teams w/ Weber. If not for the NBA-fix, he'd have one ring already.

Dude was one of the two to three best PG's in the league for a while in Sacremento.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 07:54 PM)
Also, if you have a good 10 minutes per game in the playoffs on a championship team, that can earn you a new contract. See Tim Thomas, Gortat, Hedo, etc.

paging Jerome James....

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
Dude was one of the two to three best PG's in the league for a while in Sacremento.

I didn't know he was that good, I still kinda ignored the NBA after the chairman and his lackey ran out MJ, Pip and PJax out of town, I would just watch the playoffs in those years.

I do remember that Kings/Lakers series where the refs handed LA the WCF.That sucked...

The argument is from a few days ago, but why's it so disputable that the 2010 Bulls were a better defensive team than the 2010 Heat? And yes, in the playoffs? They were. That the Bulls lost to the Heat is irrelevant. The Bulls defense doesn't play the Heat's defense.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 09:37 PM)
The argument is from a few days ago, but why's it so disputable that the 2010 Bulls were a better defensive team than the 2010 Heat? And yes, in the playoffs? They were. That the Bulls lost to the Heat is irrelevant. The Bulls defense doesn't play the Heat's defense.

Thank you, thought I was going crazy being the only one that thought the Bulls are/were better defensively.

ricky-rubio-minnesota-draft.jpg

¡Olé!

(there are massive, impossible to ignore questions about whether he's worth the hype, but damnit, there's no time for negativity)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 11:25 PM)
ricky-rubio-minnesota-draft.jpg

¡Olé!

(there are massive, impossible to ignore questions about whether he's worth the hype, but damnit, there's no time for negativity)

He's exciting to watch, that's for sure.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:04 AM)
Eh, I'm kind of over Ben Gordon.

He was my first favorite basketball player (I was born during the Dynasty years, so while I "liked MJ" I don't have much memory of his play as a Bull) and when hot, he could drop 40 on anyone.

Plus, I feel Thibs could give him the Ray Allen makeover, because while Allen is taller, BG is ripped.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 11:09 PM)
He was my first favorite basketball player (I was born during the Dynasty years, so while I "liked MJ" I don't have much memory of his play as a Bull) and when hot, he could drop 40 on anyone.

Plus, I feel Thibs could give him the Ray Allen makeover, because while Allen is taller, BG is ripped.

I have to agree, this would be a huge upgrade for the Bulls. I have no idea if Detroit is that desperate, but that would really improve us.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:14 AM)
I have to agree, this would be a huge upgrade for the Bulls. I have no idea if Detroit is that desperate, but that would really improve us.

Well, Korver + 2 Picks + Dumping BG > Dumping Rip for the 8.

The 8 could turn into Marcus Morris and suddenly we're deep as hell:

Rose/Watson

Gordon/Brewer/Bogans (resigned after Detroit cuts)

Deng/Morris

Boozer/Gibson/Morris

Noah/Asik/Thomas

BG solves our shooting problems and under Thibs I feel Morris could be developed into Boozer + D. Bench mob stays intact, we upgrade massively at the 2 AND get an extra player to boot.

That team could beat Miami.

Edited by Quinarvy