2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Felix @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 11:25 PM)
ricky-rubio-minnesota-draft.jpg

¡Olé!

(there are massive, impossible to ignore questions about whether he's worth the hype, but damnit, there's no time for negativity)

I would be shocked if he is more than a marginal player. No jumper to speak of and he isn't a good athlete. He makes some flashy passes but from what I've seen that is all that he has going for him.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dirk didn't sound too happy about the finger.

I stick with my Heat in 5.

Sounds like progress was made today regarding the negotiations.

My guess is Stern wants to remain the commish with no strikes and stoppages and they solve the issue soon.

Too much money out there.

And players must realize some of these teams truly do appear to be struggling. Just look in the stands during the regular season at some teams.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:44 AM)
I would be shocked if he is more than a marginal player. No jumper to speak of and he isn't a good athlete. He makes some flashy passes but from what I've seen that is all that he has going for him.

We'll see. I think it's fairly silly to completely shut down someone before they've even played in the NBA, especially when they have the type of court vision that Rubio is said to have. That being said, he obviously has a lot of work to do, but it's not like improving a jump shot is this never done before point of refinement. He's still absurdly young and he hasn't even played a minute in the NBA. Give him some time before lumping him in with the rest of our roster and saying he sucks.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 06:50 AM)
We'll see. I think it's fairly silly to completely shut down someone before they've even played in the NBA, especially when they have the type of court vision that Rubio is said to have. That being said, he obviously has a lot of work to do, but it's not like improving a jump shot is this never done before point of refinement. He's still absurdly young and he hasn't even played a minute in the NBA. Give him some time before lumping him in with the rest of our roster and saying he sucks.

You guys really need to get rid of your head coach with Rubio in the mix now. Him in the triangle offense is just terrible for his development.

Ben Gordon is not that great a player. Sure he can score in bunches, but he turns the ball over like crazy and never plays defense. He is also small. I don't want any part of him again. I can't see how he helps this team get over the hump. He will give you 20 on occasion at the offensive end, but he easily gives it back on the defensive end. Plus, his contract sucks, which probably won't be realistic with the new CBA. I am scared to think Rose would have to guard the opposing team's best guard if we have BG.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:37 PM)
The argument is from a few days ago, but why's it so disputable that the 2010 Bulls were a better defensive team than the 2010 Heat? And yes, in the playoffs? They were. That the Bulls lost to the Heat is irrelevant. The Bulls defense doesn't play the Heat's defense.

The Bulls were better defensively in the regular season.

If the Heat played the defense they're currently playing for the entire regular season, they'd have been the better defensive team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)
I'm more interested in the #8 pick than Gordon. If he could revert back to his Bulls form he'd be fine, but I am not sure that player is there anymore.

(Again, under the current cap rules) he wouldn't need to revert back to his old form...he'd just need to be better than Kyle Korver.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 08:03 AM)
(Again, under the current cap rules) he wouldn't need to revert back to his old form...he'd just need to be better than Kyle Korver.

Their percentages are all pretty close, except Gordon shoots A LOT more. I don't know if that makes him "better" or not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
Their percentages are all pretty close, except Gordon shoots A LOT more. I don't know if that makes him "better" or not.

Kyle Korver's problem isn't the percentage right now...it's defense, ball handling, and that obscene, season-destroying slump.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 08:09 AM)
Kyle Korver's problem isn't the percentage right now...it's defense, ball handling, and that obscene, season-destroying slump.

Gordon would have the same defensive problems, along with the maddening lack of intelligent shot selection at the wrong time. Shooting slumps are definitely going to be a thing for Gordon too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 06:06 AM)

Gordon can create offense, Korver can not. That to me is the difference. Hell, Gordon might be better than Rose at creating offense when Rose is slumping and it would be huge for Rose to have another guy that could create his shot, especially when Rose is struggling to score. Gordon would have been a major upgrade in that Miami series when Chicago would go on those huge dry spells.

And Balta, you are crazy. Chicago played ridiculously good defense against Miami, a team with 2 superstars, and 1 all star (not superstar).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)
Gordon can create offense, Korver can not. That to me is the difference. Hell, Gordon is better than Rose at creating offense when needed and it would be huge for Rose to have another guy that could create his shot, especially when Rose is struggling to score. Gordon would have been a major upgrade in that Miami series when Chicago would go on those huge dry spells.

And Balta, you are crazy. Chicago played ridiculously good defense against Miami, a team with 2 superstars, and 1 all star (not superstar).

I can agree Gordon can out-create Korver, but better than Rose? Dude. Really? Rose is one of the best in the entire game at creating offense. If Gordon was that good, he wouldn't be on a bench somewhere.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
I can agree Gordon can out-create Korver, but better than Rose? Dude. Really? Rose is one of the best in the entire game at creating offense. If Gordon was that good, he wouldn't be on a bench somewhere.

Yeah, no s***.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)

Rose can create, but when Rose is off, it is great to have another guy like Gordon that can create. And yes, Gordon in his Bulls days was one of the best creators of offense in the league. He's an elite shooter compared to Rose and while he isn't near the finisher around the basket or near the player Rose is (i'm not comparing the two), Gordon has in the past shown a real good ability to create.

Rose can create too. I was more or less saying that on certain nights (e.g. nights where Rose has no shot and is more one dimensional), Gordon could be that guy. Obviously in its entirety Rose is on a whole nother planet than Gordon but I think Gordon would be a very good fit.

I'm not sure there wouldn't be better fits, especially since Gordon has had injury problems and well, quite frankly, hasn't been the player he was in Chicago, but I can accept Ben on this squad, especially since this type of trade would keep most of the roster together.

Note: I updated my post since I can clearly see that I stated it more in absolute terms regarding Gordon outcreating Rose. I did not intend such.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
Rose can create, but when Rose is off, it is great to have another guy like Gordon that can create. And yes, Gordon in his Bulls days was one of the best creators of offense in the league. He's an elite shooter compared to Rose and while he isn't near the finisher around the basket or near the player Rose is (i'm not comparing the two), Gordon has in the past shown a real good ability to create.

Rose can create too. I was more or less saying that on certain nights (e.g. nights where Rose has no shot and is more one dimensional), Gordon could be that guy. Obviously in its entirety Rose is on a whole nother planet than Gordon but I think Gordon would be a very good fit.

I'm not sure there wouldn't be better fits, especially since Gordon has had injury problems and well, quite frankly, hasn't been the player he was in Chicago, but I can accept Ben on this squad, especially since this type of trade would keep most of the roster together.

Note: I updated my post since I can clearly see that I stated it more in absolute terms regarding Gordon outcreating Rose. I did not intend such.

OK, that sounds way more reasonable. I pretty much agree with you now.

Anyone know what is left on Ben's contract?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:11 AM)
First Rip and now Ben Gordon? Grasping at straws now. Ben Gordon is not a starting 2 on a good team, anyway.

Jeezus, no s***. We're better off with Keith Bogans than Ben Gordon... ESPECIALLY AT THAT CONTRACT. Gordon going bye-bye was great for this team.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
First Rip and now Ben Gordon? Grasping at straws now. Ben Gordon is not a starting 2 on a good team, anyway.

THe key is you aren't asking him to be a starting 2. You are asking him to be your sixth man. Essentially, to be your Jason Terry. And I think he could be that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
THe key is you aren't asking him to be a starting 2. You are asking him to be your sixth man. Essentially, to be your Jason Terry. And I think he could be that.

He'd be filling Korver's role.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
He'd be filling Korver's role.

And at the low, low rate of only...

11-12 $11,600,000

12-13 $12,400,000

13-14 $13,200,000 (Player Option)

/discussion

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
Jeezus, no s***. We're better off with Keith Bogans than Ben Gordon... ESPECIALLY AT THAT CONTRACT. Gordon going bye-bye was great for this team.

I can understand people trying to get creative. But don't look at the names. Look at where they're at, at this point in their careers. Ben Gordon guarding Wade? lol.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)

So basically a black Kyle Korver with a little more explosive scoring ability at over $35 million dollars through 2014? No thanks.

Why all the fascination with Gordon? Jamal Crawford is a free agent this summer, we might as well go sign him if we want a guy who can create, get hot once in a while, and play no defense. At least Crawford has the height to possibly defend 2s.