2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
Is there such a thing as a Kevin Love hater? The guy is good, end of story.

This. Plus he has a great personality off the court that people should relate to.

Id argue that his assists should have increased playing with Lebron/Bosh as he should have a more reliable outlets when he passes. I just think when you look at Wade he is a depreciating asset. I like bigger guards, I thought that MJ was about the ideal size at 6'6, so Im not sure why Lebron at 6'8 cant play SG. Id also venture to guess that there have been definitely times that Lebron has been on the court and has played the 2.

And it really doesnt matter, as I said I take scarcity into account. Whether Lebron is a SG/SF/PG he is still better than Wade. After that its pretty clear that the next 10 or so guys are just a matter of taste, so Im not sure why its so unbelievable that Wade is a top 10 player but not a top 5 player.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
I think he considers anyone who questions Kevin Love as a top 10 player (me, and I'm right) to be a hater.

I'm with you on this. The guy is good and all, but his team is on pace to win less than 20 games this year. That's not a top 10 player, I don't care how bad your supporting cast is.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
Absolutely true. Gortat was such a nice backup big, too.

Not sure that's definitely true.

Right now Hedo is banged up, although he had a nice game last night, still think he's the best player out of that PHX deal for both sides (albeit Gortat has heated up lately, although it's very easy for a competent enough big to play with Steve Nash).

Carter and J Rich is probably close to a wash. J Rich is probably more athletic, but maybe a little weaker defensively.

The Magic should get Troy Murphy after the trade deadline once he's bought out by New Jersey, he'll be a decent fit as a backup C who'll get Gortat's old minutes.

The Arenas for Lewis deal hasn't really been a win for either side. Gilbert's shooting 37% from the field and his A:TO ratio is only at around 1.75:1, that's just not going to get it done, period.

I'm hoping it's the new players still trying to learn SVG's complicated defensive schemes, which was always going to take some time (although as I mooted earlier, getting Q Rich into the lineup more would be a definite start). And when the shooters such as Redick and Anderson (4 from 18 last night) aren't hitting their jumpers, we're not that good of an offensive team outside of Dwight.

Think we'll probably end up with the 4 seed now, which means Atlanta first round, and then probably Boston in the semi - finals.

Saw this little bit in a John Hollinger Chat from yesterday BTW;

Blake (Chicago): Are you ready to call Derrick Rose the best point guard in the game yet?

John Hollinger: Did Chris Paul retire?

Phil (Chicago): No, Chris Paul didn't retire but his numbers are down across the board compared to two years ago. Live in the present, John.

John Hollinger: Which numbers? Turnovers? Missed shots? Paul is second in the NBA in PER. ... He's become the master of efficiency.

Mike (Chicago): I know you love PER, but it's YOUR made up stat. Why should fans trust it when clearly our eyes can tell us that D Rose is playing way better than Paul and when PER doesn't account for how a player has to play when teammates are hurt?

John Hollinger: I trust you reached this eye test after watching all the Hornets' games too?

Adnan (Chicago,IL): No.1 Rule of chats: Don't say anything but Derrick is best player alive!!

John Hollinger: I think he's actually surpassed Kobe when it comes to the Army of Unreasonably Enthusiastic Supporters.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
Saw this little bit in a John Hollinger Chat from yesterday BTW;

I do think its silly that his reasoning for saying Paul is better because of a stat he madeup, but there definitely is a lot of Rose homerism going around this season too.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
I do think its silly that his reasoning for saying Paul is better because of a stat he madeup, but there definitely is a lot of Rose homerism going around this season too.

You can't really call it homerism when the likes of Rick Reilly and Bill Simmons are touting him for MVP. You can't be MVP and not be considered the best at your position.

Rose is the real deal, and I've been saying it since Opening Day tipoff.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)

imo Rose earned every bit of that homerism

During the Clippers game, Sam Smith tweeted that Derrick Rose was #1 in Field Goal Involvement. Basically his points + points from his assists (or something along those lines).

If that doesn't say serious MVP candidate or one of the best if not THE best PG in the association I don't know what else will.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 04:09 PM)
During the Clippers game, Sam Smith tweeted that Derrick Rose was #1 in Field Goal Involvement. Basically his points + points from his assists (or something along those lines).

If that doesn't say serious MVP candidate or one of the best if not THE best PG in the association I don't know what else will.

I think you have the stat right except you probably need to add over total points otherwise it doesn't account for a team's pace.

Voting for the MVP in the NBA is easy but people make it difficult for no reason. The best player in the NBA (and really all sports) is also the most valuable player (as long as he doesn't miss a bunch of games). It really isn't even debatable that James is the most valuable player in the NBA right now and will be for the foreseeable future.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
Voting for the MVP in the NBA is easy but people make it difficult for no reason. The best player in the NBA (and really all sports) is also the most valuable player (as long as he doesn't miss a bunch of games). It really isn't even debatable that James is the most valuable player in the NBA right now and will be for the foreseeable future.

If that was the case the award would be named different, valuable and best are not the same.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)
If that was the case the award would be named different, valuable and best are not the same.

It depends on your perception of value.

IMO, a player's surrounding circumstances really shouldn't determine his value.

A player's skillset should. In this case, there is no doubt that LBJ is the most valuable player in the NBA, in my mind at least. However, I fully understand that not everybody thinks that way, especially the people who actually vote for the MVP.

If Rose gets the MVP, I'd be very happy, even though the non-Bulls fan side of me disagrees with the notion.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)

This is the case in almost every sport. People tend to bring dependent variables into the discussion when determining the best talent, but that should be an individual evaluation.

I don't think the player's surrounding situation should dictate how valuable he is. I tend to ask myself, "if Derrick Rose played for team B, how good would he be?". The answer is that he'd still be pretty damn good, but not LeBron James kind of good.

I also get tired of people saying how Rajon Rondo is the best PG in the game because he dishes out 14 assists per game. That's like saying Ryan Howard is MVP because he drives in 140 runs every year. If you look at the situations those players are in, none of the two previous statements make a great deal of sense.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
Id argue that his assists should have increased playing with Lebron/Bosh as he should have a more reliable outlets when he passes. I just think when you look at Wade he is a depreciating asset. I like bigger guards, I thought that MJ was about the ideal size at 6'6, so Im not sure why Lebron at 6'8 cant play SG. Id also venture to guess that there have been definitely times that Lebron has been on the court and has played the 2.

And it really doesnt matter, as I said I take scarcity into account. Whether Lebron is a SG/SF/PG he is still better than Wade. After that its pretty clear that the next 10 or so guys are just a matter of taste, so Im not sure why its so unbelievable that Wade is a top 10 player but not a top 5 player.

Name your 5 players who are better than Wade at this moment. Wade might be a depreciating asset but that has nothing to do with whether he is a top 5 player in the league right now. If we were conducting a fantasy draft I wouldn't take him in my top 5 for building a team long term but I would take him 2nd or 3rd if I'm building a team for a single season.

I don't know if it was discussed here and I just missed it, but apparently Garnett hit Channing Frye in the nuts when the Celtics played the Suns a couple games back. He later said he doesn't apologize for anything and that he was actually ejected from game because he was talking too much not because of the incident. I don't know if Garnett was always like this and it never came out in Minnesota but ever since he has been in Boston the guy has been a scumbag.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
I think he considers anyone who questions Kevin Love as a top 10 player (me, and I'm right) to be a hater.

I have never said that he's a top 10 player. Find me the post where I say that, and I'll stop posting in this thread.

I guess "Kevin Love haters" is a bit extreme, but I think there are a lot of people (in this thread including) that discredit him for his team's overall performance. And personally, I think it's absolutely absurd that anyone would blame Love for his team's inability to win games. And really, anyone that's watched the Wolves this year would recognize that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
All though I am about bored to death with the daily hand-job he gets.

Man, if you're "bored to death" about Kevin Love, I hate to think about what you are with Derrick Rose on these forums.

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 07:33 PM)
Goddamn right Kevin Love is an All-Star. Thank you for not being an idiot, David Stern.

Not having him as an All-Star is just f***ing retarded. This is overriding one glaring flaw (Yao Ming - f***ing China) by correcting another. All is well.

Edited by lostfan

If we are talking about fantasy basketball then I guess we have to consider Kevin Love a top 5 player. But since I dont care about who is the best fantasy basketball player, here are 5 players that Id take before Wade:

Lebron, Rose, Durant, Melo, Howard, CP III and Kobe

Kobe's age/durability are also a concern, but given his size/strength Id still take him this season over Wade. Just my opinion, but not sure how you can look at the top 10-15 or so players and say which 5 are definitely the top 5. Which is why the argument is so hilarious, because people are acting like there is a clear cut top 5, when there really is not.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 08:23 PM)
If we are talking about fantasy basketball then I guess we have to consider Kevin Love a top 5 player. But since I dont care about who is the best fantasy basketball player, here are 5 players that Id take before Wade:

Lebron, Rose, Durant, Melo, Howard, CP III and Kobe

Kobe's age/durability are also a concern, but given his size/strength Id still take him this season over Wade. Just my opinion, but not sure how you can look at the top 10-15 or so players and say which 5 are definitely the top 5. Which is why the argument is so hilarious, because people are acting like there is a clear cut top 5, when there really is not.

Depends if you are talking about present or future. However, either way you just can't take Carmelo over Wade. Wade shoots a much higher percentage, is a better passer, and is a much better defender. I don't see how anyone can honestly say Carmelo is a top ten NBA player anymore.

As for Kobe vs. Wade, you can flip a coin. Both can score with anyone, Kobe is a good on-ball defender, and Wade is a good team defender. They both belong in the top 4 players in the league for now.

I think there's a pretty clear top 5 of LeBron, Durant, Wade, Kobe, and Howard. I think you will see Rose in the top 5, but I think it's a year away, and I think he will take Kobe's place.