2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
Jerry Sloan resigning today via Waddle & Silvy...

Bulls = coach killers this year.

There's gotta be something going on behind the scenes personally with him. He has been successful there for so long, and they are in the playoff race again. No real basketball reason to resign now?

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
There's gotta be something going on behind the scenes personally with him. He has been successful there for so long, and they are in the playoff race again. No real basketball reason to resign now?

Three days after signing an extension, no less. Something fishy is definitely amiss.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)

And he just signed a one-year extension on Monday. Definitely something happened between Monday and yesterday.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
What was Phil Jackson's latest stance on how much longer he'll be around?

I ask because while Sloan doesn't really strike me as stepping into a plug-n-play championship team (if he even does coach again), if Phil leaves, Sloan has got to be on their (LA's) list.

Phil should be gone after this year. He doesn't want to take a 1 year deal and get ready to coach again only to have 2/3 of the season lost to a lockout. (A quick labor agreement might well change that)

Hmm....

Sloan’s relationship with point guard Deron Williams(notes) had grown progressively worse over the course of the season, league sources said, and the coach had tired of dealing with the team’s best player. The frustration escalated on Wednesday night when Sloan and Williams clashed in the locker room at halftime.

“He decided right there in halftime that he was done,” a league source told Yahoo! Sports. “He felt like ownership was listening more to Williams than they were to him anymore. He was done.”

One source said Sloan had become tired of Williams “blaming everything on everyone else.” Still, Williams, who can become a free agent in the summer of 2012, has remained the Jazz’s best and most consistent player after the departure of several key teammates. Williams has always had a reputation for wanting to win badly and being a strong leader.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmRk...nretiring021011

edit: dang, beat me by 2 minutes.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

I personally think Sloan should've been fired years ago. I'm sorry. You shouldn't get job security for life when you've won absolutely nothing. You would think all the years he's been coaching and all the quality teams he's had he would've won one title by accident.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
I personally think Sloan should've been fired years ago. I'm sorry. You shouldn't get job security for life when you've won absolutely nothing. You would think all the years he's been coaching and all the quality teams he's had he would've won one title by accident.

I disagree. The NBA isn't baseball, you don't really win titles by accident. You need all-time GREAT players to win it all (other than the Pistons recently). The only players like that they had were Malone/Stockton. Granted, maybe he should have won one with them, but a certain #23 got in their way. I think he's done well to compete with the teams he has had.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)

I can't blame him for his best teams getting pissed on by MJ.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
I disagree. The NBA isn't baseball, you don't really win titles by accident. You need all-time GREAT players to win it all (other than the Pistons recently). The only players like that they had were Malone/Stockton. Granted, maybe he should have won one with them, but a certain #23 got in their way. I think he's done well to compete with the teams he has had.

The losing to Michael excuse was cool, I don't know, 8 years ago. But you don't get to play that card for eternity.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
I can't blame him for his best teams getting pissed on by MJ.

Over a decade ago. Time to move on at some point.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
The losing to Michael excuse was cool, I don't know, 8 years ago. But you don't get to play that card for eternity.

Should everyone be fired who doesn't coach Boston, Detroit, Houston, Chicago, LA Lakers, Miami, San Antonio? Because only 7 teams have won a championship in the last 27 years. Showing there's not much of a chance for the other 23 teans. This sucks but Phil Johnson will do a decent job with them.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)

Over time does that fact cease to exist? Pretty sure in 100 years the Bulls had Jordan and the Jazz did not, hence they lost.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 03:26 AM)
I don't like the idea of trading Asik for Lee. I think Lee is a lot overrated and Asik has some nice potential. Bigs like that don't grow on trees. He can rebound and play some solid defense and will be very valuable coming off the bench for the next few years.

I think our best move out there is a deal for Melo centered around Taj & Deng (w/Deng going to another team for expirings which go back to Denver) plus draft picks. I think teams have noticed what Deng is doing and I think the Bulls can afford to move both of them if it means getting Melo back.

Depends if the Bulls would rather give up a guy like James Johnson for Anthony Parker, who you're pretty much only acquiring for the playoff run, or to trade Asik for a guy like Lee who's still very young and someone who can probably be a starter for you for quite a long time.

I'm a fan of Lee, for a rookie he played very well in that Orlando team that made the playoffs, he's got good size for a SG at 6'5, got decent 3PT range, and most importantly, he's a defense first type of player.

He's just been in 2 bad situations since Orlando, playing for a Nets team that was just awful, and then being moved to Houston where he's stuck behind Kevin Martin.

He'd been an instant upgrade over Bogans that's for sure.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
Depends if the Bulls would rather give up a guy like James Johnson for Anthony Parker, who you're pretty much only acquiring for the playoff run, or to trade Asik for a guy like Lee who's still very young and someone who can probably be a starter for you for quite a long time.

I'm a fan of Lee, for a rookie he played very well in that Orlando team that made the playoffs, he's got good size for a SG at 6'5, got decent 3PT range, and most importantly, he's a defense first type of player.

He's just been in 2 bad situations since Orlando, playing for a Nets team that was just awful, and then being moved to Houston where he's stuck behind Kevin Martin.

He'd been an instant upgrade over Bogans that's for sure.

I am still wondering how someone like Courtney Lee can be "overrated"

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
Should everyone be fired who doesn't coach Boston, Detroit, Houston, Chicago, LA Lakers, Miami, San Antonio? Because only 7 teams have won a championship in the last 27 years. Showing there's not much of a chance for the other 23 teans. This sucks but Phil Johnson will do a decent job with them.

So as long as you can keep the team competitive while never sniffing a title you should have permanent job security?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
Over time does that fact cease to exist? Pretty sure in 100 years the Bulls had Jordan and the Jazz did not, hence they lost.

They've been to one conference final since '98. Losing to the Bulls 13 years ago has nothing to do with today. They were never gonna be anything more than what they've been. Time to move in another direction.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
I am still wondering how someone like Courtney Lee can be "overrated"

Probably because he's gone from starting for a NBA Finals Team to being a bench guy for a non playoff team in 2 seasons.

As I said before though, it's not his fault, he's just been the fall guy in bad situations really.

If I was Glenn Taylor (Minny's Owner) I'd be doing all I can to bringing in Jerry Sloan and cleaning slate on Rambis and Kahn, would be interesting to see what that team would do with an actual decent head coach.

But I hope this is the end for Jerry, his legacy is with Utah and it wouldn't be right IMO to see him coaching elsewhere.