2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)
If I was Glenn Taylor (Minny's Owner) I'd be doing all I can to bringing in Jerry Sloan and cleaning slate on Rambis and Kahn, would be interesting to see what that team would do with an actual decent head coach.

This will never happen for too many reasons to list.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
I personally think Sloan should've been fired years ago. I'm sorry. You shouldn't get job security for life when you've won absolutely nothing. You would think all the years he's been coaching and all the quality teams he's had he would've won one title by accident.

He never had a team to win a title, he just didn't.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 05:16 PM)

He did, but Michael Jordan came back.

It is a shame when/if a player drives a coach like that out of a job. Don't care how good he is.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)
If I was Glenn Taylor (Minny's Owner) I'd be doing all I can to bringing in Jerry Sloan and cleaning slate on Rambis and Kahn, would be interesting to see what that team would do with an actual decent head coach.

I'm no basketball expert, but you can badmouth Kahn all you want to since it's the cool thing to do, there is a decent collection of talent in Minnesota right now.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
I'm no basketball expert, but you can badmouth Kahn all you want to since it's the cool thing to do, there is a decent collection of talent in Minnesota right now.

But does all that talent fit?

You look at the players he's drafted for instance, Rubio and Flynn neither looks like a difference maker (Rubio is struggling more and more in Europe while Flynn obviously doesn't fit the triangle system).

I will say he's done a decent job at bringing in Beasley for cheap, but that team just needs some direction and an actual desire to play some defense before they can go forward.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 05:16 PM)

That's up for debate. But that's not really my point. I'm not saying he was a bad coach. I think he's been as good as one can be without winning a title. I'm just saying I don't view this as a tragedy that he's gone. It's a new era now. I think Barkley said it best. This seems like a case of old school clashing with new school.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
You look at the players he's drafted for instance, Rubio and Flynn neither looks like a difference maker (Rubio is struggling more and more in Europe while Flynn obviously doesn't fit the triangle system).

As someone who literally watches just about every Wolves game (I only miss the non-televised road games), I'd say the myth that the Wolves run a triangle offense is vastly overhyped.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
For no reason I can explain I've always felt there was something like that with him.

Deron's a good guy...compared to the other two members of the big three from Illinois (Dee and Head), he's an absolute saint. I would say this is probably a case of fame getting the best of him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 06:56 PM)
Deron's a good guy...compared to the other two members of the big three from Illinois (Dee and Head), he's an absolute saint. I would say this is probably a case of fame getting the best of him.

Lebron's a good guy, but the decision was just a case of fame getting the best of him.

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
As someone who literally watches just about every Wolves game (I only miss the non-televised road games), I'd say the myth that the Wolves run a triangle offense is vastly overhyped.

I think the Wolves are certainly fine on the offensive side of things anyways, it's the defense which really causes them a lot of issues.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)
I think the Wolves are certainly fine on the offensive side of things anyways, it's the defense which really causes them a lot of issues.

I wouldn't say that's the case either. We play at the highest pace in the league which certainly inflates our raw PPG. We shoot fairly poorly as a team despite shooting well from beyond the arc, but until the team becomes more efficient (and less turnover prone), I'm not going to say they're fine offensively.

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 06:30 PM)
I wouldn't say that's the case either. We play at the highest pace in the league which certainly inflates our raw PPG. We shoot fairly poorly as a team despite shooting well from beyond the arc, but until the team becomes more efficient (and less turnover prone), I'm not going to say they're fine offensively.

You guys play at a higher pace than G.S.? That's surprising.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 06:42 PM)
You guys play at a higher pace than G.S.? That's surprising.

Golden State is 4th

Wolves 99.8, New York 98.6, Denver 98.2, Golden State 97.2 Houston 97.0, Indiana 97.0 round out the top 5

Of course, part of this is because of the high turnover rate. Another part is our porous defense which gives opponents good looks early in the shot clock. Those are just inherent flaws in pace in general, though.

EDIT: Actually, we're right in the middle in terms of defensive pace it looks like. Interesting read on the topic of pace: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/1/24/1952...urs-suns-knicks

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)

Honestly, I think his darkside is coming out and it's because he's always sick of being in the background. He has never gotten the recognition he thinks(and arguably, it's true) he deserves. In high school, it was all about Bracey Wright. In college, it was moreso about Dee Brown. In the pros, everyone overlooks him despite him being one of the best or thee best PG in the league. For the record, I like Paul over him, but that's neither here nor there. With claims that he's leaving, he's most likely to join a superteam or take his ball and go home(to Dallas).

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 06:56 PM)

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that DWill is ultra competitive and outside of Millsap and Jefferson that roster sucks.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
So as long as you can keep the team competitive while never sniffing a title you should have permanent job security?

They've been to one conference final since '98. Losing to the Bulls 13 years ago has nothing to do with today. They were never gonna be anything more than what they've been. Time to move in another direction.

It's all the eyes of the owners maninly as well the fans. And in Utah there's probably a huge emotional attachment considering it's their only pro sports team. Most fans of the Jazz love Jerry Sloan and are sad to see him go. There's a reason why he's a Hall of Fame coach and I don't agree with Sloan should've been gone a long time ago. In 23 seasons he only had 1 under .500 season. For the most part I believe he got the most out of his teams. Besides Boozer coming to Utah, I don't know of any above average free agent coming to Utah ever. It's just a hard place to get players to come to.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
And what would the Bulls give up to get Ellis? Rose?

Silence. Let us dream. Just like I dream to one day get with Miranda Cosgrove after she turns 18.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 10:11 PM)
That'd be a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE addition.

We'd be the east favorite. Unfortunately, like Dbaho pointed out, we'd have to part with the MVP for that to happen.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 10:16 PM)
We'd be the east favorite. Unfortunately, like Dbaho pointed out, we'd have to part with the MVP for that to happen.

So you're suggesting a three-way deal between Chicago/Miami/Golden State where Golden State gets LeBron James, Miami gets the deed to the soul of everyone in Chicago, The Sears Tower, and everyone on the Bulls except for Brian Scalabrine, and the Bulls get Monta Ellis?

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft