2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (lord chas @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
james dolan is a moron. knicks had all the leverage in the world and he blew it

unless in their meeting this weekend Carmelo told NYK, he feels CBA goes through with lower value full boats for vets or "franchise tag" type thing is added, so he was just going to sign with Denver before the deadline if NYK don't pounce now.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 12:08 AM)
Yeah, you do this deal every time if you're the Knicks.

I agree buuuut all it did for this year is make them the 5th best team in the East instead of the 6th. That being said, they're obviously much more dangerous going forward now.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 12:15 AM)
It seems somewhat likely that the Knicks would be the Bulls' opponent in the first round. The Knicks can't get to the top 5.

Ya the Knicks aren't catching the Hawks, but the Bulls could catch the Heat or Celtics.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)
Knicks in the long run will be better because this will attract either CP3 or DWill IMO but I read an article on Gallinari vs. Melo and if you pretty much double Danilo's shots per game, he would score just as much if not more than Melo

They won't have cap for DWill or CP3 unless they take huge paycuts.

About f***ing time. I was getting sick of this s***. Couldn't even watch NBA TV anymore. The Knicks obviously get the best player in the deal. But they payed a STEEP price. They basically have no bench and no outside shooting to take the defensive pressure off Amare and Anthony. I love what Denver got back. They weren't going to succumb to Carmelo being a b****. I really don't see how the Knicks are any better than the Denver teams with Iverson and 'Melo. In fact, they might be worse.

And Isaiah Thomas has done it again.

D'Antoni's notorious for running out 7 or 8 man rotations, so the lack of depth for New York shouldn't hurt them too badly on that regard.

Corey Brewer is an interesting pickup for them, guy can't shoot very well but he's very good defensively and the type of guy they need at the #2 spot.

They'll probably sign Earl Barron as the backup big now, did decent for D'Antoni last season.

I'd say the Knicks are probably about the 4th or 5th best team in the East right now. I like them more then Atlanta (just don't see that team doing well in the playoffs), but I don't see them beating any of the top 4 teams in the East as currently constructed.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 05:02 PM)
About f***ing time. I was getting sick of this s***. Couldn't even watch NBA TV anymore. The Knicks obviously get the best player in the deal. But they payed a STEEP price. They basically have no bench and no outside shooting to take the defensive pressure off Amare and Anthony. I love what Denver got back. They weren't going to succumb to Carmelo being a b****. I really don't see how the Knicks are any better than the Denver teams with Iverson and 'Melo. In fact, they might be worse.

Well Amare is better than Iverson no doubt for starters.

I'm most interested to see how Melo is going to fit in D'Antoni's 7 second or less offense. And he's not that good of a 3PT shooter either.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 12:07 AM)
Well Amare is better than Iverson no doubt for starters.

I'm most interested to see how Melo is going to fit in D'Antoni's 7 second or less offense. And he's not that good of a 3PT shooter either.

I'd go with those Denver teams overall over the current Knicks team. I can't believe they parted with Gailliro, however you spell it, a much younger and still improving PG in Felton and Chandler. Definitely one of the three. Maybe even two. But all three? And another thing, didn't Denver get Brewer?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 05:20 PM)
I'd go with those Denver teams overall over the current Knicks team. I can't believe they parted with Gailliro, however you spell it, a much younger and still improving PG in Felton and Chandler. Definitely one of the three. Maybe even two. But all three? And another thing, didn't Denver get Brewer?

It's damn confusing to keep up with who went where, here's as I understand it where everyone went;

NY got - Melo, Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter, Renaldo Balkman.

DEN got - Chandler, Felton, Galllinari, Mozgov, Knick 2014 1st rounder, GSW 2012 and 2013 2nd round picks, $3M.

Then NY did this;

NY got - Corey Brewer

MIN got - Anthony Randolph, Eddy Curry, $3M.

So right now the Knick rotation looks like this;

PG: Billups / Douglas / Carter

SG: Brewer / Douglas

SF: Melo / Bill Walker / Balkman

PF: Amare

C: ? (Earl Barron will be signed I presume).

On top of all that, looks like none of Felton, Gallinari or Mozgov are getting dealt to New Jersey at this stage. The Nets really want to move Devin Harris, the Mavs, Trail Blazers and Hawks are all really into him. The Rockets really want Nene, and I believe his contract is up at the end of the season, so Denver may not want to pay him long - term, so something could definitely get done there.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 12:59 AM)
It's damn confusing to keep up with who went where, here's as I understand it where everyone went;

NY got - Melo, Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter, Renaldo Balkman.

DEN got - Chandler, Felton, Galllinari, Mozgov, Knick 2014 1st rounder, GSW 2012 and 2013 2nd round picks, $3M.

Then NY did this;

NY got - Corey Brewer

MIN got - Anthony Randolph, Eddy Curry, $3M.

So right now the Knick rotation looks like this;

PG: Billups / Douglas / Carter

SG: Brewer / Douglas

SF: Melo / Bill Walker / Balkman

PF: Amare

C: ? (Earl Barron will be signed I presume).

On top of all that, looks like none of Felton, Gallinari or Mozgov are getting dealt to New Jersey at this stage. The Nets really want to move Devin Harris, the Mavs, Trail Blazers and Hawks are all really into him. The Rockets really want Nene, and I believe his contract is up at the end of the season, so Denver may not want to pay him long - term, so something could definitely get done there.

You forgot Fields in the NYK rotation.

Though I could see D'Antoni running out Billups-Brewer-Fields-Melo-Amare.

God that team will get roasted alive defensively.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
You forgot Fields in the NYK rotation.

Though I could see D'Antoni running out Billups-Brewer-Fields-Melo-Amare.

God that team will get roasted alive defensively.

Ah my bad, he's the one guy they didn't give up on.

Yeah I could definitely see D'Antoni running out that small ball lineup.

No way that team wins in the playoffs though.

Well, first of all the Knicks wouldn't have been Carmelo in the offseason.. he was getting traded to the Nets had New York not stepped up and he would have ended up signing that extension so he wouldn't lose all that money.. the Knicks had to make this deal

Secondly, they didn't give up s***.. a bunch of guys who looked good in Mike D'Antoni system.. if you have the chance to acquire a player like Melo, you do it.. even if it means you give up a hand full of guys who will never be stars..

Solid move by the Knicks, better than them thinking they could just get Melo for nothing in the offseason and then see him shipped to the Nets with a nice extension

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 04:04 AM)
Well, first of all the Knicks wouldn't have been Carmelo in the offseason.. he was getting traded to the Nets had New York not stepped up and he would have ended up signing that extension so he wouldn't lose all that money.. the Knicks had to make this deal

Secondly, they didn't give up s***.. a bunch of guys who looked good in Mike D'Antoni system.. if you have the chance to acquire a player like Melo, you do it.. even if it means you give up a hand full of guys who will never be stars..

Solid move by the Knicks, better than them thinking they could just get Melo for nothing in the offseason and then see him shipped to the Nets with a nice extension

Nobody denies the Knicks got the best player. But you can't honestly look at their roster construction and think they're any closer to a title. Maybe a seed better? And let's not pretend NY gave up a bunch of Steve Kerr clones. Felton was giving them 17 and 9 and probably is a better player than the aging Billups at this point. So no upgrade there. Chandler is 16 and 6 and was probably their best defender, though that's not saying much considering that the entire team was and still is awful defensively. Chandler is also a good 3point shooter. Gallinari was a 15+ ppg scorer and a career 38% shooter from downtown. So that's more outside shooting they lose. And then all the picks. So again, Knicks got the best player. He and Amare should regularly combine for over 50 ppg. But their depth, outside shooting was totally depleted and Melo doesn't do a damn thing for their defense.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 05:36 AM)
Nobody denies the Knicks got the best player. But you can't honestly look at their roster construction and think they're any closer to a title. Maybe a seed better? And let's not pretend NY gave up a bunch of Steve Kerr clones. Felton was giving them 17 and 9 and probably is a better player than the aging Billups at this point. So no upgrade there. Chandler is 16 and 6 and was probably their best defender, though that's not saying much considering that the entire team was and still is awful defensively. Chandler is also a good 3point shooter. Gallinari was a 15+ ppg scorer and a career 38% shooter from downtown. So that's more outside shooting they lose. And then all the picks. So again, Knicks got the best player. He and Amare should regularly combine for over 50 ppg. But their depth, outside shooting was totally depleted and Melo doesn't do a damn thing for their defense.

They may not be closer to a title right this second, but this was the right step in that direction.. and please, Felton was hot garbage in Charlotte he gets to D'Antoni and all the sudden looks competent?

You're right, prolly not better right now.. but this move is the kind that will pay off down the road

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 07:20 AM)
The Knicks are about to be one of the most overly hyped garbage teams of all time.

They are pretty legit now. It should be interesting.

There is, however, not a lick of defense to be played, but those boys are going to put up numbers in D'Antoni's system.

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 05:26 AM)
They may not be closer to a title right this second, but this was the right step in that direction.. and please, Felton was hot garbage in Charlotte he gets to D'Antoni and all the sudden looks competent?

You're right, prolly not better right now.. but this move is the kind that will pay off down the road

Don't forget who Raymond Felton also played for in Charlotte