2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 05:39 AM)
This looks like the wave of the future instead of unloading for free agency, you will load up on picks.

When NBA teams make trades for draft picks, why don't they stipulate that the year of the draft pick can be any year within a specific window? Eg. In the Nuggets trade with the Knicks, it's pretty likely that the Knicks will improve and the 2014 1st round pick will be meaningless. A pick in the 20s that's guaranteed money doesn't appeal to me. Wouldn't it make sense for the Nuggets to say that they get one Knicks first round pick any season between 2012 and 2020 and the Knicks have no right to block?

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 01:18 AM)
Baron Davis and a 1st for Mo Williams and Jamario Moon.

Look as if the Cavs are loading up on 1st rounders. The Clippers get out of Baron's contract (2/30M after this season), so they should have plenty of cap room from this off-season onwards.

Holy s***, things have really turned a corner with the Clip Joint. They got out from under Baron's deal.

So the Bulls offered Kyle Korver for OJ Mayo (wtf) or their two 1st round selections. According to KC Johnson, the Grizzlies want one of Omer or Taj, and I can't really blame them. (Why would the Grizz want Korver?).

Anyway, that's the latest.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 07:55 AM)
When NBA teams make trades for draft picks, why don't they stipulate that the year of the draft pick can be any year within a specific window? Eg. In the Nuggets trade with the Knicks, it's pretty likely that the Knicks will improve and the 2014 1st round pick will be meaningless. A pick in the 20s that's guaranteed money doesn't appeal to me. Wouldn't it make sense for the Nuggets to say that they get one Knicks first round pick any season between 2012 and 2020 and the Knicks have no right to block?

They can, and they do.

For example the pick we got from Charlotte is lottery protected to some extent for the next few years.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
So the Bulls offered Kyle Korver for OJ Mayo (wtf) or their two 1st round selections. According to KC Johnson, the Grizzlies want one of Omer or Taj, and I can't really blame them. (Why would the Grizz want Korver?).

Anyway, that's the latest.

Thanks Omer or Taj for your time and good luck. I'll drive em to Memphis

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)
Thanks Omer or Taj for your time and good luck. I'll drive em to Memphis

Yeah seriously. Taj/Omer are really good players, but both have ceilings of solid starters. We already have Noah making Aski unlikely ever to start full-time. We have Boozer for the next few years making Taj unlikely ever to start full-time. Mayo was the THIRD pick in a loaded draft and has the ceiling of an All-Star. I have a hard time believing the Bulls wouldn't pull the trigger on that move.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
Yeah seriously. Taj/Omer are really good players, but both have ceilings of solid starters. We already have Noah making Aski unlikely ever to start full-time. We have Boozer for the next few years making Taj unlikely ever to start full-time. Mayo was the THIRD pick in a loaded draft and has the ceiling of an All-Star. I have a hard time believing the Bulls wouldn't pull the trigger on that move.

As long as you can hold onto one of them so you have a bench left to play against the Heat and Magic.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
As long as you can hold onto one of them so you have a bench left to play against the Heat and Magic.

Oh yeah no doubt. I give up one Omer easily over Taj and picks for Mayo. I would even include that Charlotte pick because apparently the Bulls don't get to pick when they want, the pick transitions to the Bulls the first year the pick is outside the restriction area.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
I'd personally rather give up Taj than Omer. Taj is a lot easier to replace imo.

In the long term I agree, short term not so much. Problem is, that Mayo is pretty much a long term guy right now as well, cause we keep hearing about his ceiling but to be perfectly honest he's just not that great yet. Yes, he's certainly better than Bogans and Brewer offensively right now but like I said before, he's going to be taking some possessions away from Rose and our perimeter defense is just going to be hot garbage when those two are out there together. Add in the attitude problems and I'm still very conflicted on if I want Mayo on this team or not.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)
I don't want you to be the GM of my team.

No s***. If you can get Mayo for picks, yes, but I'm not dealing an athletic 7 footer or our only big off the bench who can score inside for a headcase shooting 35% from 3pt and 40% overall.

I cannot believe the the love Omer Asik gets on the board. I really cannot comprehend it.

You do him and parts for Mayo every single time no matter what. Of course that hasn't happened because no GM would be dumb enough to accept that trade, but still.

Him+Taj gets a little iffy, but neither has too much of a future here anyways. You'd probably hope to get a better offer than Mayo for them.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
I cannot believe the the love Omer Asik gets on the board. I really cannot comprehend it.

You do him and parts for Mayo every single time no matter what. Of course that hasn't happened because no GM would be dumb enough to accept that trade, but still.

Him+Taj gets a little iffy, but neither has too much of a future here anyways. You'd probably hope to get a better offer than Mayo for them.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
:lolhitting

Nice post coming from someone who wouldn't deal Omer f***ing Asik for OJ Mayo. Now that's laughable.

And yeah, I would not deal Taj+him for Mayo straight up, but only because it kills the Bulls own depth. Both are replaceable in their own right. They would still need other parts coming back if they were to trade both.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
Nice post coming from someone who wouldn't deal Omer f***ing Asik for OJ Mayo. Now that's laughable.

And yeah, I would not deal Taj+him for Mayo straight up, but only because it kills the Bulls own depth. Both are replaceable in their own right. They would still need other parts coming back if they were to trade both.

You do realize that Keith Bogans has shot as well as Mayo this year, right? And Mayo wants the ball in his hands and thinks he's a much better player than he is... he'd carry the rock vs giving it to our MVP candidate.

Also, Omer has some pretty awesome upside and is worth more than Mayo, in my opinion. What happens if one of our bigs goes down again? Size is king in the NBA.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
You do realize that Keith Bogans has shot as well as Mayo this year, right? And Mayo wants the ball in his hands and thinks he's a much better player than he is... he'd carry the rock vs giving it to our MVP candidate.

Also, Omer has some pretty awesome upside and is worth more than Mayo, in my opinion. What happens if one of our bigs goes down again? Size is king in the NBA.

Completely agree with Steve here, Omer has just as much upside as Mayo. The guy is young, cheap, and already a damn good defender on a defensive oriented team.

I agree that Mayo may not even be that good. But in the very least, he's worth a lot more than Asik on name alone. That alone makes the trade worth it if you wanted to spurn if off for other parts. Of course trading is a free market, so that the initial trade would never happen to begin with as I doubt the Grizzlies would be so dumb.

The Bulls could do without Asik, I have no doubt. Kurt Thomas is more than a capable backup for Noah who will be hogging all the minutes. This team can be holding the trophy if they acquire a quality SG. You take every step to get one especially when it won't hurt your main rotation. IF not Mayo, than someone. Unfortunately, pickings seem to be slim at this point.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
Completely agree with Steve here, Omer has just as much upside as Mayo. The guy is young, cheap, and already a damn good defender on a defensive oriented team.

The problem with Asik is that he is a 12-15 minute player when the team is healthy. Asik's upside is nowhere near that of Mayo. There is a reason Asik was thought of as a mid first-round pick and drafted in the second round while Mayo was the THIRD pick in the draft two and a half years ago. Asik can become what a 12 points/12 rebound guy with good defense? And how exactly does he ever become that here? He won't get the playing time. So he really cannot reach his potential here. In two years, it will be either Taj or Omer anyway, so why not make that decision now and get a potential stud offensive player who has the tools to be a good defensive player.

We have a need for a 2-guard, we don't for a starting center or power forward.

And I can't believe the overvaluing of Asik and the undervaluing of Mayo. The talent levels between the two are incomparable.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 10:03 PM)
How does Kurt Thomas compare to Joakim in defensive stats?

Well, I don't know very much about NBA metrics, but I saw one state that had Kurt Thomas as one of the 20 best defensive players this year. I noticed that the Bulls went to number 1 in Hollinger's defensive efficiency rankings while Noah was out.

Im a pretty big Mayo fan but I wouldnt move Asik for him. I think Asik can turn into a pretty solid big man, but at worst he is always going to be a solid role player.

Mayo is hit or miss, and there are plenty of SG's coming into the league every year. If they dont want picks, they can keep him.