2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
It's still crazy to me how much the Bulls shooting guard position this year resembles the rotation DH from last year's Sox team. Will there be a Manny Ramirez out there that's bought out by his team?

Bogans = Kotsay...lol. And Kyle Korver can be Andruw Jones.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)
Perkins to OKC for Jeff Green.

Awful trade for the Celtics. I don't get how adding a combo 3/4 possibly that won't start and getting rid of a very good defensive C possibly improves that team. Especially since they just made it easier for the Heat to match up with them.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
Awful trade for the Celtics. I don't get how adding a combo 3/4 possibly that won't start and getting rid of a very good defensive C possibly improves that team. Especially since they just made it easier for the Heat to match up with them.

Plus, the O'Neals aren't exactly the healthiest duo of big men.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 09:23 PM)

Celtics needed a center with the health issues surrounding O'Neal(x2) and Perkins. I hated watching Green on OKC. Definitely seemed like he was determined to shoot no matter what when he got the ball.

I think Mayo isnt starting because of stats like 75% from the free throw line and 40% shooting from the field. You can blame a coach or system all you want, but a great player will put the ball in the hoop in any system. Maybe if his stats were great but his numbers were low I could buy it, but his stats are bad so I can definitely see him not playing as much as last year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)

Didn't Perkins turn down a pretty lucrative extension recently? I think the Celtics were looking at the long-term more than anything. But I agree it's a big loss for at least this season.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:27 PM)
I think Mayo isnt starting because of stats like 75% from the free throw line and 40% shooting from the field. You can blame a coach or system all you want, but a great player will put the ball in the hoop in any system. Maybe if his stats were great but his numbers were low I could buy it, but his stats are bad so I can definitely see him not playing as much as last year.

Huh? Anyway, I'm with Chw42. I'm the same way in hoops as I am in baseball. Young talent with tantalizing upside, even if they've underachieved to a point, is always worth taking a chance on. Who's to say Mayo couldn't have flourished with a team like Chicago over the perpetual mess that is the grizzlies? I'm not letting Mayo off the hook. Like I said, he's underachieved. But the dude is 23?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:27 PM)

Mayo's not a great player though. He's a a slightly above average player with the potential to become an all-star. If you deter his development by sitting him in favor of Xavier Henry and then freakin' Tony Allen, I don't know how that's going to help him. Mayo's rate stats as a starter are much better than when he's on the bench. He's shooting 41% from the field and 41% from 3 when he starts, in comparison to 37 and 31 percent off the bench. I can't find the TS% or eFG% of the games where he starts without actually calculating it myself, but just eyeballing it, they're a lot better than his overall numbers this year.

Benching him has really screwed his game up. This was a great buy low situation. To evaluate him just based on how badly he's played coming off the bench isn't fair to Mayo.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
You do realize that Keith Bogans has shot as well as Mayo this year, right? And Mayo wants the ball in his hands and thinks he's a much better player than he is... he'd carry the rock vs giving it to our MVP candidate.

Also, Omer has some pretty awesome upside and is worth more than Mayo, in my opinion. What happens if one of our bigs goes down again? Size is king in the NBA.

Not to mention Kurt thomas won't be here next year, and I don't see OJ Mayo as being teh last piece of a title winning team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
Not to mention Kurt thomas won't be here next year, and I don't see OJ Mayo as being teh last piece of a title winning team.

There is no "last piece" we could realistically get for this year. We don't have the assets for that. Maybe it's just me. But everybody is always looking at the current year and only that year. If you get Mayo turned around, you've got a stud for the long-term. Yes, I know there's risk involved. That's sports. Best example I can come up with from a baseball point of view is B.J. Upton. He's severely underachieved. But if the Rays made him available? I'd be on that like a bottle of vodka.

Edited by Jordan4life

Asik is 24.. If Asik was 33 Id be in complete agreement, might as well go for the young with upside. But this is like arguing one player has more upside versus another. There just is absolutely no reason at the moment to believe the light is going to click for Mayo.

If his stats were great (ft % and shooting %) but his minutes were low ( less than 25 per game) I could agree that the coaching staff may be holding him back.

But his stats are bad (under 40% from the field is under 40%, I dont care if your a starter or coming from the stands) and hes getting solid minutes for having such bad stats. I cant imagine how pissed Id be watching a guy shooting under 40%.

Bogans is shooting 40%, at least hes supposed to be good at defense.

Mayo was a hyped player in High School. In college he was good but not special and in the pros he has been meh. Unless he makes a major attitude change, he probably will never come close to his talent.

(Edit)

BJ Upton has put up significantly better numbers than Mayo. What year did Mayo even come close to what would be a 894 ops in the Basketball?

Edited by Soxbadger

Asik has become more overrated than Andruw Bynum. This is the same orgnization that wouldn't part with Luol Deng when KG and Gasol were out there. Upside with Asik is limited. MAYBE you can get above seriviceable production at some point. That's it. If he was the reason we didn't go after Mayo then I want Forman fired.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
Asik is 24.. If Asik was 33 Id be in complete agreement, might as well go for the young with upside. But this is like arguing one player has more upside versus another. There just is absolutely no reason at the moment to believe the light is going to click for Mayo.

If his stats were great (ft % and shooting %) but his minutes were low ( less than 25 per game) I could agree that the coaching staff may be holding him back.

But his stats are bad (under 40% from the field is under 40%, I dont care if your a starter or coming from the stands) and hes getting solid minutes for having such bad stats. I cant imagine how pissed Id be watching a guy shooting under 40%.

Bogans is shooting 40%, at least hes supposed to be good at defense.

Mayo was a hyped player in High School. In college he was good but not special and in the pros he has been meh. Unless he makes a major attitude change, he probably will never come close to his talent.

(Edit)

BJ Upton has put up significantly better numbers than Mayo. What year did Mayo even come close to what would be a 894 ops in the Basketball?

Upton has had one what you would call above average year. And he's become the poster boy for underachievers in baseball. And many have said in the past they wouldn't touch him for that very reason.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
Asik has become more overrated than Andruw Bynum. This is the same orgnization that wouldn't part with Luol Deng when KG and Gasol were out there. Upside with Asik is limited. MAYBE you can get above seriviceable production at some point. That's it. If he was the reason we didn't go after Mayo then I want Forman fired.

God damn. OJ Mayo has quite a rep for a f***ing pretty s***ty player. FIRE FORMAN! BEST RECORD SINCE 96 FIRE HIM!!! I WANT OJ MAYO!!!!! FIRE PEOPLE!!! OJ MAYOOOOOO!

Ridiculous. Take it the f*** easy, Mayo isn't taking us to another level, and when Boozer or Joakim go down next year and we can insert Omer you'll see why keeping him was smart.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
God dayn. OJ Mayo has quite a rep for a f***ing pretty s***ty player. FIRE FORMAN! BEST RECORD SINCE 96 FIRE HIM!!! I WANT OJ MAYO!!!!! FIRE PEOPLE!!! OJ MAYOOOOOO!

Ridiculous. Take it the f*** easy, Mayo isn't taking us to another level, and when Boozer or Joakim go down next year and we can insert Omer you'll see why keeping him was smart.

Wow, now that's comfort. If Noah or Boozer go down we can insert Osik can not lose a beat! Please. Nobody outside of a homer Bulls fan would agree with that. No GM on earth would take 10 Asiks over 1 Mayo. Best record since '96? We haven't won 50 games since then and had one of the worst 7-year stretches in the history of sports. That's not saying much.

I meant to say since the dynasty ended.

Edited by Jordan4life

Yeah Mayo is comparable to KG and Gasol.

And who is overrating Asik?

People are saying hes a good bench player. Its just you believe that Mayo is more than a bench player right now. Most of us are saying that trading a bench player for a bench player doesnt make much sense, especially because our bench player plays at the more scarce position.

That is a completely reasonable and legitimate argument. Your argument is based on your belief that Mayo will all of a sudden play a lot better. It can happen, but there is absolutely no evidence to suggest it.

Mayo's stats are the worst in his career, yet he is going to trend up? That makes no sense.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Wow, now that's comfort. If Noah or Boozer go down we can insert Osik can not lose a beat! Please. Nobody outside of a homer Bulls fan would agree with that. No GM on earth would take 10 Asiks over 1 Mayo. Best record since '96? We haven't won 50 games since then and had one of the worst 7-year stretches in the history of sports. That's not saying much.

I meant to say since the dynasty ended.

That is my kind of team. Think of the length!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Wow, now that's comfort. If Noah or Boozer go down we can insert Osik can not lose a beat!

Clearly when you can't spell the guys name I should certainly worry about your thoughts on Asik as a future difference-making center. OJ Mayo was not worth the risk.