2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
God damn. OJ Mayo has quite a rep for a f***ing pretty s***ty player. FIRE FORMAN! BEST RECORD SINCE 96 FIRE HIM!!! I WANT OJ MAYO!!!!! FIRE PEOPLE!!! OJ MAYOOOOOO!

Ridiculous. Take it the f*** easy, Mayo isn't taking us to another level, and when Boozer or Joakim go down next year and we can insert Omer you'll see why keeping him was smart.

I'm not on board with firing Forman but the sole reason the Bulls have their best record since 96 is because they lucked into the #1 pick when they had the 9th worst record in the league and less than a 2% chance at the pick. If that doesn't happen the franchise is still a mess because they refused to trade guys like Hinrich and Deng for top talent early in their careers.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
Yeah Mayo is comparable to KG and Gasol.

And who is overrating Asik?

People are saying hes a good bench player. Its just you believe that Mayo is more than a bench player right now. Most of us are saying that trading a bench player for a bench player doesnt make much sense, especially because our bench player plays at the more scarce position.

That is a completely reasonable and legitimate argument. Your argument is based on your belief that Mayo will all of a sudden play a lot better. It can happen, but there is absolutely no evidence to suggest it.

Mayo's stats are the worst in his career, yet he is going to trend up? That makes no sense.

The bolded is what I'm talking about. A good bench player? Have some expectations! Mayo has shown more in a week than Asik has ever shown. Mayo was the third overall pick in the draft for a reason. Yes, he's regressed. But Asik over Mayo? No, sir. I'll take that "risk" 10 times out of 10.

Edited by Jordan4life

No GM on earth would take 10 Asiks over 1 Mayo

Talk about a completely unprovable and most likely wrong statement.

From all reports, teams wanted ASIK.

But hey you probably would have said that Minnesota was crazy for trading Mayo for Love.

After all Mayo was a superstar in the making, Love was just a solid big man.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
I'm not on board with firing Forman but the sole reason the Bulls have their best record since 96 is because they lucked into the #1 pick when they had the 9th worst record in the league and less than a 2% chance at the pick. If that doesn't happen the franchise is still a mess because they refused to trade guys like Hinrich and Deng for top talent early in their careers.

What superstars did they refuse to trade Hinrich and Deng for?

The Lakers wanted Deng in a Kobe deal that may or may not have existed, and if said deal that may or may not have existed had existed, Kobe then nixed the possible deal because he wanted to play WITH Deng if traded.

The Bulls refused to add Joakim Noah in a Tyrus deal to land Pau Gasol.

However, I don't see why we're bringing up John Paxson deals when Gar is supposedly in charge.

I just have a hard time screaming "fire him" when the Bulls look legit for the first time in 14 years. Yes, we got extremely lucky to get Rose, AND picked the right guy over Beasley.

OJ Mayo pushing people to the edge is hilarity.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
Talk about a completely unprovable and most likely wrong statement.

From all reports, teams wanted ASIK.

But hey you probably would have said that Minnesota was crazy for trading Mayo for Love.

After all Mayo was a superstar in the making, Love was just a solid big man.

I was just going to post that since Mayo was traded for Love that he must be great. What a s***ty trade, Aldridge-esque

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
Clearly when you can't spell the guys name I should certainly worry about your thoughts on Asik as a future difference-making center. OJ Mayo was not worth the risk.

That's lame, dude. I spelled his name wrong once. In previous posts I spelled it correctly. I'm typing fast right now. And his name is not even worth spelling right anyway.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
That's lame, dude. I spelled his name wrong once. In previous posts I spelled it correctly. I'm typing fast right now. And his name is not even worth spelling right anyway.

I'll give you the point that it was lame to call out spelling. I retract the lameness.

The Grizzlies preferred Asik to Mayo.

The Bulls prefer Asik to Mayo.

There's your proof that folks who know more than you (and I) think an athletic 7 foot big man who can play defense in the league already is worth more than a lazy headcase who has fallen short of any and all expectations laid before him.

Jeez, give Asik a moment in the league before writing the kid off...

I actually wonder how much you have watched Mayo play. Because you seem to think that because he was the 3rd pick overall, that actually means something. Even during his college career there were major concerns about him. He shot to much, didnt play team basketball, to many turnovers.

I personally thought Eric Gordon (7th pick) was considerably better than Mayo, but I guess because Mayo went 3, he must be better.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
What superstars did they refuse to trade Hinrich and Deng for?

The Lakers wanted Deng in a Kobe deal that may or may not have existed, and if said deal that may or may not have existed had existed, Kobe then nixed the possible deal because he wanted to play WITH Deng if traded.

The Bulls refused to add Joakim Noah in a Tyrus deal to land Pau Gasol.

However, I don't see why we're bringing up John Paxson deals when Gar is supposedly in charge.

I just have a hard time screaming "fire him" when the Bulls look legit for the first time in 14 years. Yes, we got extremely lucky to get Rose, AND picked the right guy over Beasley.

OJ Mayo pushing people to the edge is hilarity.

Look, is the Bulls hadn't LUCKED and I mean LUCKED into winning the lottery three years ago we'd be the Cavs. The Bulls get no credit for that. It's been proven that we can't land elite free agents and we're not bad enough to land a stud through the draft. Guys like Mayo are who you take chances on if they present themselves. Omer Asik? Give me a break.

Edited by Jordan4life

Just to toss in my $.02...I'm annoyed that the Bulls did not land an upgrade at SG, and I'd probably have given up either Asik or Gibson to pull off Mayo this year.

That said...I'm also more than a little surprised that, as far as I can tell, the Bulls's competition also failed to do anything, aside from perhaps the Knicks. The Heat didn't fill in their holes, the Celtics may well have gotten weaker.

There werent' any big changes in the setup of the league today.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
You can say the Bulls lucked into winning the lottery, but you cant deny that with the pick, they made the best selection. There are plenty of teams who had the #1 pick and did not get the best guy in the draft.

The Bulls picked Rose, they get credit for it.

There was quite a debate over who should go number one. The Bulls hit the home run.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
There is no "last piece" we could realistically get for this year. We don't have the assets for that. Maybe it's just me. But everybody is always looking at the current year and only that year. If you get Mayo turned around, you've got a stud for the long-term. Yes, I know there's risk involved. That's sports. Best example I can come up with from a baseball point of view is B.J. Upton. He's severely underachieved. But if the Rays made him available? I'd be on that like a bottle of vodka.

That's kind of my point. Why sacrifice the future for this year, if this year isn't our year anyway? That's the reason I don't deal Omer or Taj unless I get a stud. Those guys will help you in the future. I don't think Mayo would be that guy on the Bulls even in the future. I don't see him doing anything productive under a coach like Thibs. Maybe if we had Don Nelson who was all about offense and no defense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
That's kind of my point. Why sacrifice the future for this year, if this year isn't our year anyway?

Biggest reason I can give is that I don't think there will be much of a next year, so I'm really thinking "win this year or win in 2013".

No luck would have been if the Bulls had no choice but to take Rose. Its easy to say now Rose was the right pick, but back then there were plenty of people who thought Beasley (myself included).

If you watched them in college youd have thought Beasley would have put up Love type numbers in the NBA. Just doesnt always work that way. The guy averaged 26 pts and 12 rebounds, Love averaged 17 and 11.

Picking Rose was much more difficult than you make it out to be.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
Biggest reason I can give is that I don't think there will be much of a next year, so I'm really thinking "win this year or win in 2013".

You hold on to your guys even more in that case, unless you think you are getting a guy to win it all this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 04:33 PM)
You hold on to your guys even more in that case, unless you think you are getting a guy to win it all this year.

What do we think it would take for this Bulls team to win it all this year?

Are the Celtics and the Heat really that far ahead of them?

At this point, I'm unconvinced of that.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 04:33 PM)
No luck would have been if the Bulls had no choice but to take Rose. Its easy to say now Rose was the right pick, but back then there were plenty of people who thought Beasley (myself included).

If you watched them in college youd have thought Beasley would have put up Love type numbers in the NBA. Just doesnt always work that way. The guy averaged 26 pts and 12 rebounds, Love averaged 17 and 11.

Picking Rose was much more difficult than you make it out to be.

I was always on the Rose bandwagon and I didn't think it was a particularly difficult pick, especially once Beasley measured in at 6'7 without shoes (I realize that was far from the consensus though). I'm just not a fan of drafting a guy who looked like a combo forward #1 overall when you had the most athletic PG to ever enter the draft available to you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
That's kind of my point. Why sacrifice the future for this year, if this year isn't our year anyway? That's the reason I don't deal Omer or Taj unless I get a stud. Those guys will help you in the future. I don't think Mayo would be that guy on the Bulls even in the future. I don't see him doing anything productive under a coach like Thibs. Maybe if we had Don Nelson who was all about offense and no defense.

My point is that Asik and Taj are roleplayers. Yes, roleplayers mean something and you need them to win. But they're worth the risk in acquiring a potential star. The Bulls are not going to beat Miami or Boston. And NY would be a 50/50 bet at this point since they have two superstars vs our one. You've got to get creative and think outside the box.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)
My point is that Asik and Taj are roleplayers. Yes, roleplayers mean something and you need them to win. But they're worth the risk in acquiring a potential star. The Bulls are not going to beat Miami or Boston. And NY would be a 50/50 bet at this point since they have two superstars vs our one. You've got to get creative and think outside the box.

You don't judge a team by the number of "superstars". Collectively the Bulls are much better than the Knicks and can play with both Boston and Miami. In a 7 game series i still think Miami gives them the most trouble.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)

Oof. I could not disagree more with this statement.

Sure Rose was athletic, but people are rewriting history. Beasley was putting up freakish numbers. I guess that Love wasnt good because he was only 6'7 (without shoes)

Michael Beasley, Kansas State Height: 6'7" (6'8 1/2" in shoes) Wingspan: 7'0 1/4" Standing Reach: 8'11" Body Fat: 7.7% Vertical Jump (no step): 30" Vertical Jump (max): 35" Bench Press: 19 Lane Agility: 11.06 3/4 Court Sprint: 3.24

Kevin Love, UCLA Height: 6'7 3/4" (6'9 1/2") Wingspan: 6'11 1/4" Standing Reach: 8'10" Body Fat: 12.9% Vertical Jump (no step): 29.5" Vertical Jump (max): 35" Bench Press: 18 Lane Agility: 11.17 3/4 Court Sprint: 3.22

Notice that Beasley beats Love in every single measurement, yet Love is some how the better player. Its just impossible to tell until they are in the NBA.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)
You don't judge a team by the number of "superstars". Collectively the Bulls are much better than the Knicks and can play with both Boston and Miami. In a 7 game series i still think Miami gives them the most trouble.

If this were MLB or NFL I'd agree. Not the NBA.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:44 PM)
Oof. I could not disagree more with this statement.

I said 50/50. Before the Anthony trade, we were unquestionably better. Now? It's a toss-up.