2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 09:48 PM)
Miami's lack of inside presence is going to be their downfall. Every team is going to shoot bad, but if you can win on the glass get second chance points you can overcome a crappy offensive night.

Bulls had 13 offensive rebounds to the Heats 6. Thats 7 more times the Bulls got a second chance and in a 4 point game, 7 extra possessions is an incredible advantage.

Rebounding isn't going to be that big of an issue. Coming into the night the Heat were averaging 43.1 rpg to the Bulls 43.9 rpg. Haslem coming back will be a major boost as he is their best rebounder. Both teams are top 10 rebounders, and the Heat out rebounded the #2 Indiana Pacers 50-45 a few games ago.

Bulls are a really good team, the playoffs are going to be tremendous.

The Heat are going to be fine, they are 32-8 in their last 40. Can't wait for the playoffs.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 11:00 PM)
What would it take for you to believe the Bulls could take a playoff series against Miami? A blowout win in the final regular season match up?

Unless they have home court I don't think they can beat Miami in a series. They aren't going to win all 3 home games and I don't think they can split in Miami.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 10:07 PM)
Unless they have home court I don't think they can beat Miami in a series. They aren't going to win all 3 home games and I don't think they can split in Miami.

I feel that's fair. Like I said, home court is going to be a huge deciding point in these playoffs.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)
Homecourt is clearly the key to me. The Bulls are a much different team when feeding off the United Center crowd. One thing that is potentially nice is that Miami even though it's a homecourt, they aren't nearly as passionate as Bulls, Celtic, Magic, etc. fans.

25-4 at the UC.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 10:07 PM)

Fair enough.

this will probably get lost in all the game talk but the lakers won the championship the last 2 years and their backcourt features Derrick Fisher who averaged 3 more points then Bogans playing 10 more minutes a game... The lakers backcourt (bench included) minus kobe averaged 18.7 our backcourt minus DRose are averaging 23.4....on that note im ok with them standing pat....great game tonight, with boston getting weaker and the win today against the heat i wonder if there will be a lot of talk about the bulls bein the best team in the east.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 12:28 AM)
So rumor has it that Houston wouldnt deal Lee unless they got Asik (once again proving that Asik has value) and that Memphis didnt want to deal with the Bulls.

Nothing the Bulls can do now but hope for a buyout and signing.

...or just stand pat.... read my previous post

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 11:28 PM)
So rumor has it that Houston wouldnt deal Lee unless they got Asik (once again proving that Asik has value) and that Memphis didnt want to deal with the Bulls.

Nothing the Bulls can do now but hope for a buyout and signing.

Asik shut down the lane against James and Wade tonight. I forget where I read it (Hollinger?) but the Bulls defensive stats when he's in the game are elite. Now, I'm not saying Asik will ever be a starter in the league let alone do something beyond that, but he's clearly valuable. There's a reason that HOU,MEM, and CLE all asked for him (plus Morey is supposed to be a fantastic talent evaluator, so it says something that he held out for Asik). I think I already posted this, but if Cole Aldrich is a lottery pick you know Asik would be if he was in the draft this year.

I also don't understand the love for Mayo. I would've traded Gibson and 2 firsts for him, but I don't know if Memphis was willing to take that or not. I wouldn't have traded Asik and picks for him because I think it should be easier to find a 2 guard performing like Mayo is right now than a 7 footer who is not a complete stiff. Mayo may have been a high draft pick but so was Hasheem Thabeet. Right now, stats like PER make Mayo look like a below average guard. And if you don't believe in PER (which is fine, I'm not sure I do), there's still the fact he got benched by the Grizz in his 3rd NBA season for Tony Allen. That's not a good sign. Maybe he'll turn out to be great, but right now I wouldn't fault someone for not being sure about that.

Flame me if I'm wrong here, I don't care, but all I could think about when I was watching the game tonight was the early 00s Pistons teams. Tough defense, a great rebounder and defensive presence in general down low, and generally a bunch of good but no great players. Obviously there is a distinct best player on this Bulls team compared to the Pistons where pretty much everybody was equally valuable. The one piece that those Pistons teams had that this Bulls team doesn't have is a Rasheed Wallace type. I'm not suggesting the Bulls need to go out and get a 4 who can both drive and shoot, but it seems like they really need one more piece to really make it work.

That was awesome seeing LeBron fail as hard as he did at the end of the night.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 12:48 AM)
Flame me if I'm wrong here, I don't care, but all I could think about when I was watching the game tonight was the early 00s Pistons teams. Tough defense, a great rebounder and defensive presence in general down low, and generally a bunch of good but no great players. Obviously there is a distinct best player on this Bulls team compared to the Pistons where pretty much everybody was equally valuable. The one piece that those Pistons teams had that this Bulls team doesn't have is a Rasheed Wallace type. I'm not suggesting the Bulls need to go out and get a 4 who can both drive and shoot, but it seems like they really need one more piece to really make it work.

They definitely need one more piece: a 2 guard. The comparison with that Pistons team isn't crazy, but they had Rip Hamilton and this team has Keith Bogans and Ronnie Brewer. Not to diss Ronnie Brewer either because he's a very good bench player, but this team needs a legit starting 2 guard to go where it wants to. I would love to have a Rasheed Wallace type in his prime of course, but I'm pretty happy with Boozer and Noah if they can stay healthy.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
When is the cutoff date for playoff eligible players?

Are rosters set once the deadline has passed?

No. Players can still be waived and signed after the deadline. And a player is eligible for a team's playoff roster as long as he wasn't on another team's roster on March 1st or later.

For example, there are reports that the Nets may waive one or more of their veterans with expiring contracts (Tony Battie, Bobby Simmons) if they don't trade them before the deadline. Those players then would be able to sign with any other team. A contender might want to add Battie for frontline depth.

It is also possible that a player who is traded before the deadline could return to the team that traded him before the playoffs. If he has an expiring contract and isn't useful to the team that acquires him in the trade, they may choose to waive him. Once he clears waivers, he becomes a free agent and can sign with any other team. But he just can't sign with the team that traded him for 30 days (from the trade date) and such an arrangement can't be discussed before a trade is made.

Link

What I take from this game is that the Bulls, unsurprisingly, didn't play a great game. Noah is just back and not into the flow yet, the Bulls were coming off a loss, on the 2nd night of a B2B, flying in, while the Heat had an extra day.

Even with the inherent disadvantages, the Bulls still held the Heat down enough to charge back in the 2nd half. They made some bonehead mistakes letting guys loose in the first half to help the Heat build a lead, but came storming back. They went 6 minutes in the 4th quarter without making a shot and still pulled it off.

Being at home helped, but it's hard to say from what I watched that the Refs helped the Bulls out or anything like that (is there anything Lebron can do to Rose that actually counts as a foul?).

Without playing their best game, the Bulls forced Miami to play a bad game, and Miami couldn't win while doing that.

Rip almost got traded to Cleveland along with a 1st rounder, but wasn't willing to get rid of $9M guaranteed on his contract apparently.

So unless the Pistons are willing to pay off the majority of his deal, my guess is they'll hang onto him, and try to trade him next off-season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 08:59 AM)
Really, the C's lost to the Nuggets last night? Bulls only 2 games back of them in the loss column, 1 game back of the Heat now.

They only had 8 players I think, but still a surprising loss.

As for the game, I think this just proves a couple of things.

First, Miami is not the elite team everyone thought they would be. Two superstars and an overrated 3rd guy (1-18...that hilarious flop was his biggest contribution to the game) is not enough to win in this league against better TEAMS. Their bench is awful. Except for fast break points, the Bulls basically crushed the Heat in every other significant statistic, and that's with a starting center who still isn't in game shape or in the flow of the game much (aside: thank god Noah is back. He kept the team in the game in the 1st quarter with those offensive rebounds and put backs)

Second, the Bulls are one of the handful of teams that can win the title. I'm a firm believer in this. Not next year or in the coming years, but this year. Doesn't mean it's going to happen, but if they play up to their potential they can beat anyone. And that includes this nonsense about needing a 2 guard (they don't).

Third, I hate the officiating in NBA basketball (well, college too, but NBA is even worse IMO). The last 10 minutes for the Heat consisted of Wade or Lebron charging through the lane and throwing up a shot to get a foul. It was called nearly every time. For some reason Rose never gets those calls (or at least not as frequently) and it almost cost the Bulls in this game. It makes no sense to me.

Fourth, as I said yesterday before the game, Asik is a solid player whose going to increase his trade value for the Bulls, or at the very least become Taj's replacement as the back-up center. He brings energy, he has a knack for finding the ball and rebounding, and he knows how to clog the lane. He's really worked on his defense too. At the beginning of the year he was just a 10 min, 6 foul kind of player. I think he might have had two fouls last night. Very, very solid game for him.

Fifth, the playoffs are going to be awesome this year.

Edited by Jenksismybitch