2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 26, 2011 -> 05:15 PM)
Do we know how much of that money he has left? Financial management doesn't seem to be a strong trait in many NBA players.

Those masks Rip wears must be very, very costly. lol

As long as he's somewhat responsible, he should be swimming in money.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 26, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
Do we know how much of that money he has left? Financial management doesn't seem to be a strong trait in many NBA players.

If that were the case...then taking an immediate buyout would be an intelligent financial option...it'd take a portion of next year's income, which might not even happen because of the lockout, and turn it into money in his pocket right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2011 -> 05:48 PM)
If that were the case...then taking an immediate buyout would be an intelligent financial option...it'd take a portion of next year's income, which might not even happen because of the lockout, and turn it into money in his pocket right now.

Like I said...Financial management doesn't seem to be a strong trait in many NBA players.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 26, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
Random question, but does anyone know if the Bulls drive or fly to Milwaukee for games? It's around an hour and a half from the Berto. I can't imagine a flight is that fast considering getting to the airport, etc.

They bus it up there.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 01:24 AM)
How does a buyout work if he'd lose money, then? I thought they had to pay the full remainder of the contract.

No. In a way, its kind of like arbitration. They have to agree on a certain number (if it isn't already part of his contract) which the player will receive up front in order to forgo the rest of his contract.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 03:33 AM)
No. In a way, its kind of like arbitration. They have to agree on a certain number (if it isn't already part of his contract) which the player will receive up front in order to forgo the rest of his contract.

AKA he would have lost more than a couple million had he been bought out most likely

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 03:04 AM)
AKA he would have lost more than a couple million had he been bought out most likely

He's due $25 million for the next two seasons. The buyout would have been $16 million I think (I'm not sure on this figure, could be $9 million as well). The Bulls can give him $3 million to play for the rest of the year. So he would have lost $6 million. Plus, you have to consider that all of that is up front and not over a span of two years.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 26, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
Those masks Rip wears must be very, very costly. lol

As long as he's somewhat responsible, he should be swimming in money.

He should be, but whether he is or not is anyone's guess. The majority, yes majority, of NBA players are broke 5 years after their playing days.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 03:10 AM)
He's due $25 million for the next two seasons. The buyout would have been $16 million I think (I'm not sure on this figure, could be $9 million as well). The Bulls can give him $3 million to play for the rest of the year. So he would have lost $6 million. Plus, you have to consider that all of that is up front and not over a span of two years.

So in other words if he wasn't worth $6 million to someone next year, he lost out.

I dont know, it seems as if he would forgo the additional 6 million now, play his ass off down the stretch with a playoff team, he could spin this into a contract worth at least 6 million next year and possibly a few more years with more money

Fully dependent on the CBA of course

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
I dont know, it seems as if he would forgo the additional 6 million now, play his ass off down the stretch with a playoff team, he could spin this into a contract worth at least 6 million next year and possibly a few more years with more money

Fully dependent on the CBA of course

If it were me, I'd take the buyout, and expect that if I'm lucky only 1/2 the season happens next year anyway, so anything I signed for next year was a bonus.

It just seems silly to me that he would rather be miserable in Detroit with a coach he hates, and a team going nowhere as opposed to going somewhere else where he is still going to make a lot of money and participate in a playoff run. Going to the other team and taking the money hit and winning games seems to be a better option than staying and becoming known as a severe malcontent.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
It just seems silly to me that he would rather be miserable in Detroit with a coach he hates, and a team going nowhere as opposed to going somewhere else where he is still going to make a lot of money and participate in a playoff run. Going to the other team and taking the money hit and winning games seems to be a better option than staying and becoming known as a severe malcontent.

You would think, but who knows. Rip could really need the money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
You would think, but who knows. Rip could really need the money.

Again, this isn't nearly as cut and dry as you're making it. There is a real chance that he could make more money by taking the buyout, and on top of that, he gets all the money up front.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
Again, this isn't nearly as cut and dry as you're making it. There is a real chance that he could make more money by taking the buyout, and on top of that, he gets all the money up front.

There is a better chance the new CBA could kill him looking for a new contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
There is a better chance the new CBA could kill him looking for a new contract.

That's going to happen at the end of next season anyway right? So why not get paid for next year whether it happens or not?