2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 11:09 PM)
So if the Wolves called Forman up and said Love for Noah, what do you do? Anybody that's says they'd keep Noah is a bold-faced liar.

Love is obviously a better rebounder, but he doesn't seem like he is capable of playing good defense as a center. Noah obviously can.

If you were in a vacuum and were just considering talent alone, then absolutely, but this isn't baseball where an upgrade in talent anywhere means an upgrade in talent for the overall team. You have to consider the needs of the Bulls, and really, they need Noah more than they need Kevin Love.

There would be times it would be fun to watch, but Noah for Love doesn't make the Bulls a better team.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
I'm not exactly sure why the Wolves would do that when we've got DARKO.

He's like manna from heaven.

It was a hypothetical.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 11:17 PM)
Love is obviously a better rebounder, but he doesn't seem like he is capable of playing good defense as a center. Noah obviously can.

If you were in a vacuum and were just considering talent alone, then absolutely, but this isn't baseball where an upgrade in talent anywhere means an upgrade in talent for the overall team. You have to consider the needs of the Bulls, and really, they need Noah more than they need Kevin Love.

There would be times it would be fun to watch, but Noah for Love doesn't make the Bulls a better team.

Love's rebounding and by far superior offensive efficiency trumps Noah's impact defensively.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 11:48 PM)
Love's rebounding and by far superior offensive efficiency trumps Noah's impact defensively.

But can you still beat Boston or Orlando in the playoffs? Seems to me they'll both just feed it down low all game and terrorize the Bulls. Maybe Asik can do that some day, but surely not in the next two years.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)
But can you still beat Boston or Orlando in the playoffs? Seems to me they'll both just feed it down low all game and terrorize the Bulls. Maybe Asik can do that some day, but surely not in the next two years.

I actually think Boston is the best matchup for us in the Semi - Finals, even though they are argubly the best team in the East.

But as for Orlando, we have become so inconsistent, and unless Hedo really gets it going and Nelson plays at his best, I don't think we'll go very far.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 10:49 PM)
Last I checked, the name of the thread is still 2010-2011 NBA Thread. I am not even a fan of Kevin Love, but let the man post what he wishes.

I didn't say he couldn't. I was responding to his "90% of the posts here are the same, only about Derrick Rose." I really don't care at all about his Love love.

people can post whatever it is they want. The daily updates on Kevin Loves double doubles, and random articles about him floating around the internet that get posted in here are just super annoying. After the bulls and heat, Love is the most talked about story in this thread.

Its like when espn fixates on red sox yankees, its over exposure that ultimately just ends up turning you off of those teams. You can continue to post all youd like about Kevin Love, I just find it agitating to read another post that says nothing else but "Kevin. Love." in games in which the timberwolves lose to bad teams. Its like maybe the 54th most interesting story line in the NBA, and it gets talked about wayyyy too much in this thread IMO

You can't tell me you guys don't have (or have had in the past) that one friend who constantly, everyday talks about the Jets (or cowboys or ohio state or texas etc etc) that just drives you bonkers when that team is all he talks about??? this is a bit like that but to a lesser extent since, after all, this is only a message board. just makes me not root for kevin love, thats all

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 12:02 AM)

This is exactly where it breaks down to me. You are in first seed right now, so you are thinking of what can get you to the NBA finals.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 07:19 AM)
people can post whatever it is they want. The daily updates on Kevin Loves double doubles, and random articles about him floating around the internet that get posted in here are just super annoying. After the bulls and heat, Love is the most talked about story in this thread.

Oh noes! You mean to tell me a player that's having one of the best individual seasons in the league is being TALKED about?

That's just awful. I'm so incredibly sorry for posting anything about Kevin Love's historical individual performance this year. My bad.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 11:48 PM)
It was a hypothetical.

I was being heavily sarcastic. Darko is terrible.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 01:02 AM)

The Bulls have done a real good job of figuring out ways to deny guys the ball inside. Howard was eating them alive when he got the ball, but he wasn't getting the ball enough inside to really make a difference last time.

I don't know about if they can do it in a full 7 game series...but this team can slow down the inside game enough and shut the door completely outside.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 08:13 AM)
Oh noes! You mean to tell me a player that's having one of the best individual seasons in the league is being TALKED about?

That's just awful. I'm so incredibly sorry for posting anything about Kevin Love's historical individual performance this year. My bad.

Dude, I got your back. Its an NBA thread on a SOX board. You can post whatever you want, especially since he's one of the best stories in the league. Yeah its annoying to some, so ignore it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
Dude, I got your back. Its an NBA thread on a SOX board. You can post whatever you want, especially since he's one of the best stories in the league. Yeah its annoying to some, so ignore it.

All the rest of us ask in response is that the Kevin Love fans can't get annoyed when we note that no matter how special his streak was, no matter whether or not the TWOlves are one of the best rebounding teams in the league, that streak was during a run of 13-40 by the team. That's a marvel in itself.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
All the rest of us ask in response is that the Kevin Love fans can't get annoyed when we note that no matter how special his streak was, no matter whether or not the TWOlves are one of the best rebounding teams in the league, that streak was during a run of 13-40 by the team. That's a marvel in itself.

That's more of a testament to how bad the team is, and yes, it is pretty amazing how bad the team is this year. Love averaged 22 and 16 during the streak, and the fact that the team didn't win games is amazing, but shouldn't take away from the quality of his performance.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 01:06 AM)

That just shows you how important good coaching and finding a system to fit the talent on the team is today.

Look at Denver for instance. They've gone 8-2 since the Melo trade, and you wouldn't say that team has a star player now. What they do have though is 8-9 guys who can all contribute to the role they're assigned, and they're very well coached by Karl obviously.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
That's more of a testament to how bad the team is, and yes, it is pretty amazing how bad the team is this year. Love averaged 22 and 16 during the streak, and the fact that the team didn't win games is amazing, but shouldn't take away from the quality of his performance.

I think the feeling is his numbers wouldn't be nearly as impressive if he played on a team that has other players. For example, if he had a Noah or Boozer playing next to him, Love's numbers would come down a decent amount.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
I think the feeling is his numbers wouldn't be nearly as impressive if he played on a team that has other players. For example, if he had a Noah or Boozer playing next to him, Love's numbers would come down a decent amount.

That, I think, is the big reason why people look at that streak with skepticism given the team's record. Yes, he's single-handedly turned the TWolves into one of the league's better rebounding teams, but he also has no competition for the ball, and they have limited scoring options.

He didn't even have to deal with the case where some guy in the frontcourt would just be having a great night and run off 30 points, like Boozer's done occasionally, thus denying him the ball.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
Chad Ford in his chat.

Chris (Los Angeles)

The Bulls are downright scary. They're already on top of the East with a 22 year old superstar. A suffocating defense that was just put in place this season. A rookie head coach and a season full of injuries. If they ever get solid starting 2 guard, this team should be the favorites for the next decade.

Chad Ford

(1:11 PM)

That essential explains why we put them No. 1 on the Future Power Rankings. The Thunder are a close second ... but we feel like the Bulls are legit contenders right now for a Championship, still have room for their young players to get better and should have the flexibility to add a two guard to the roster down the road via trade, free agency that makes them one of the most complete teams in the league. It's very hard not to be high on the Bulls' future right now. If they stay healthy, they could have a long, long run in them.

Those were the odds of the Bulls winning the lotto in '08.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)

So? You could say the same thing about Howard. Rose wouldn't be the front-runner for MVP had we signed 'bron or Wade. It doesn't take away from their skillset one bit.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
So? You could say the same thing about Howard. Rose wouldn't be the front-runner for MVP had we signed 'bron or Wade. It doesn't take away from their skillset one bit.

None of those teams are losing though. That's where this whole discussion comes from.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
None of those teams are losing though. That's where this whole discussion comes from.

I don't think that matters in this case. Love has done his part and then some. That's a bad cast of characters around him. I don't see why his individual dominance is compromised because of that. Love has been one of the most statistically, standard and advanced, dominant players in the league. Why pigeonhole everything he does because his team sucks?

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
I don't think that matters in this case. Love has done his part and then some. That's a bad cast of characters around him. I don't see why his individual dominance is compromised because of that. Love has been one of the most statistically, standard and advanced, dominant players in the league. Why pigeonhole everything he does because his team sucks?

Let me put it this way...would you agree or disagree with this statement. Kevin Love's record would be more impressive if he'd done it on a team that went 40-13 than one that went 13-40.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
So you're now upset the Bulls weren't terrible in 07, and they didn't "earn" the #1 pick? I'm missing your point.

No, the point was that if we don't win the lotto that year none of this is happening right now. It makes it even sweeter because we had no business winning it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)

And I'd give this theory more merit if his usage rate was through the roof. If he were getting ridiculously inflated numbers because of the team he's on, then it would make sense that he'd be getting used a lot and having a lot of opportunities. Instead, he ranks 64th in the league in USG (22.69), way behind teammate Michael Beasley (28.08). In fact, if you consider this it makes his accomplishments even more impressive. He doesn't get plays drawn up for him. He'll get an occasional entry pass into the post and a mid-range hook, and sometimes he'll run a pick and roll or pick and pop with whoever the PG is at the time, but that's far from a regular occurrence. Love gets his points because he picks his spots and takes advantage of the opportunities he gets. He gets to the free throw line at a very high rate and converts them efficiently. These aren't things that would change if he were on a better team.

Even if you ignore all of that and think that he's only getting stats because his team sucks, where do you think his numbers would be instead? 18 and 13? For one of the league's most efficient offensive players, that's still pretty goddamn good.

Basically, if it were Michael Beasley putting up 28 and 10, I'd buy this argument and agree wholeheartedly. But Kevin Love? Watch him play, he's far from dominating the ball.

Edited by Felix