2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 10:31 PM)
Ozzie was definitely first.

You sure? I remember it being on this board before Hawk used it.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)
That name is trending on Twitter.

I don't know if I want D-Rose to be called Windy City Assassin. The last "Assassin" nickname given out was to Javy Vazquez (Silent Assassin by Hawk). Bad, bad memories.

Yeah, but Rose isn't silent and he's got ice in his veins.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 09:33 PM)
That name is trending on Twitter.

I don't know if I want D-Rose to be called Windy City Assassin. The last "Assassin" nickname given out was to Javy Vazquez (Silent Assassin by Hawk). Bad, bad memories.

ya not a fan of the windy city assassin, and hasn't bench mob been used a bunch before?

grinded out another wiiiiin, only 10 games left in the regular season

Hmm...Rose seems out of character today. He swore in an interview to KC Johnson and said "the worst thing you can do is give me confidence...if you do that I'm hard to stop" (or something to that effect).

This is definitely new to me. I don't remember Rose being this, what's the word,...cocky? He did say he hasn't accomplished anything yet and that the Bulls have seen nothing but first round exits thus far...but still, out of character.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 12:50 AM)
Hmm...Rose seems out of character today. He swore in an interview to KC Johnson and said "the worst thing you can do is give me confidence...if you do that I'm hard to stop" (or something to that effect).

This is definitely new to me. I don't remember Rose being this, what's the word,...cocky? He did say he hasn't accomplished anything yet and that the Bulls have seen nothing but first round exits thus far...but still, out of character.

I've seen flashes of that too. Maybe a month ago, I was watching a post game (on the court) interview with him. The interviewer asked him how he felt about the MVP chants. He started by saying, "Keep it coming!", but then quickly backed off and finished the interview in his usual soft spoken way. It was like he caught himself getting a little cocky and then realized he should reign it in or something. Weird.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 12:50 AM)

I don't think that's being cocky, that's just saying hey if I'm confident I'm going to be unstoppable whether the opposing team causes it or not...it'd be cocky if he just came out and said I'm hard to stop.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 11:39 PM)
30 points, 17 assists, 12/12 FT

F*cking case closed. Thanks to D-Rose for backing up my argument on this board tonight!!

I like your avatar better then Bill Simmon's version.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
Knicks lost their 6th straight game. Now 3 games under .500. Only 2.5 games from 8th place and a potential first round showdown with the Bulls.

Only 3.5 games ahead of 9th place, only 2 games behind 6th place though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
If no one else is going to do it, I should...as good as Rose was on the offensive end for the last 5 minutes, he was matched by Luol Deng on the defensive side.

Deng really deserves to be All-NBA First-Team defense. His on-ball defense of the NBA's top wings has been terrific this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
If no one else is going to do it, I should...as good as Rose was on the offensive end for the last 5 minutes, he was matched by Luol Deng on the defensive side.

Dengs defense has never really been a question. He's always been pretty solid one on one.

This ought to win a person coach of the year.

On the year the Bulls have been dominant in the fourth, outscoring their opponents by 201 points. No other team has outscored its opponents by even 100 points in the final frame this season.

Also

Rose is just the second Bulls player in the last 25 seasons to score at least 30 points and record at least 15 assists in a single game. The other was Michael Jordan, who last did it in 1989 when he had 33 points and 17 assists against the Trail Blazers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
Dengs defense has never really been a question. He's always been pretty solid one on one.

For the last 4 minutes, he went from pretty solid to "I don't care who you are, you're not scoring."

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 04:08 AM)
I don't think that's being cocky, that's just saying hey if I'm confident I'm going to be unstoppable whether the opposing team causes it or not...it'd be cocky if he just came out and said I'm hard to stop.

Thank you Kev.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 07:14 PM)

*Facepalm.

Kobe is not anywhere near the conversation for MVP if you want to mention supporting casts and statistics in the same argument. Kobe doesn't even have the highest Win Shares on his team, Gasol does. Plus, win shares likes Rose more than Kobe, by about a win or two I think.

For the sake of everyone, can these amateur writers on Bleacher Report and so many other blogs stop comparing Derrick Rose to the likes of Russell Westbrook and Kyle Lowry? PLEASE, STOP!

1) It makes you look absolutely basketball-stupid in the eyes of those who don't care for advanced stats - and that's a lot of people.

2) It doesn't make sense to compare Kyle Lowry to Derrick Rose, it just doesn't. Win Shares doesn't back your argument, PER doesn't back your argument, stop trying to find crevices in the world of flawed metrics to make a stupid point. We get it, D-Rose isn't as good as some people think he is. Big deal, that doesn't mean you can go out and make a horrible comparison.

3) If you want to use advanced stats, quit sprinkling in that Westbrook and Rose have similar ordinary numbers (like shooting percentage, assists, etc). If you want to do a real advanced analysis, do it with actual advanced metrics. Talking about how Westbrook and Rose average around the same number of points and assists like it means everything is like saying Delmon Young and Adam Dunn are similar hitters since they were 10 RBIs apart last year. Like Stacey King would say...STOP IT!

It just infuriates me that some of these writers are doing terrible things with statistical analytical writing. If you want to have a case against Rose, that's fine. But don't clown on him with child's play and pretend you know something.

*Rant over.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 09:45 PM)
For the sake of everyone, can these amateur writers on Bleacher Report and so many other blogs stop comparing Derrick Rose to the likes of Russell Westbrook and Kyle Lowry? PLEASE, STOP!

1) It makes you look absolutely basketball-stupid in the eyes of those who don't care for advanced stats - and that's a lot of people.

2) It doesn't make sense to compare Kyle Lowry to Derrick Rose, it just doesn't. Win Shares doesn't back your argument, PER doesn't back your argument, stop trying to find crevices in the world of flawed metrics to make a stupid point. We get it, D-Rose isn't as good as some people think he is. Big deal, that doesn't mean you can go out and make a horrible comparison.

3) If you want to use advanced stats, quit sprinkling in that Westbrook and Rose have similar ordinary numbers (like shooting percentage, assists, etc). If you want to do a real advanced analysis, do it with actual advanced metrics. Talking about how Westbrook and Rose average around the same number of points and assists like it means everything is like saying Delmon Young and Adam Dunn are similar hitters since they were 10 RBIs apart last year. Like Stacey King would say...STOP IT!

It just infuriates me that some of these writers are doing terrible things with statistical analytical writing. If you want to have a case against Rose, that's fine. But don't clown on him with child's play and pretend you know something.

*Rant over.

There's an easy solution to this: stop reading Bleacher Report. It's easily one of the most worthless sites on the internet.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 10:34 PM)
There's an easy solution to this: stop reading Bleacher Report. It's easily one of the most worthless sites on the internet.

It's not just that site. The Lowry stuff was from another blog. I'm also not the one checking it. People post links to the site and quote it, which interests me enough to read it since it's usually wrong.

Edited by chw42