2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2011 -> 09:48 PM)
If you didn't see Rose's block on JJ because you were watching the Final Four or something... Do yourself a favor and go watch it. Then remember, Rose is 6'3".

Yeah. I have nothing to add about that other than to stress it with additional posts.

Bulls are a game back of the Spurs now. They're hitting the rough patch of the final 6 games though. Phoenix, Boston, and Orlando in 3 of the next 4. Just gotta go 4-2 and they should secure the 1 seed easily.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 2, 2011 -> 10:36 PM)
Perhaps they can repeat it in late October.

October 20 something works for me. But that would be a Bulls pre-season game...lol. Most likely.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
The Heat have "Worked out" Eddy Curry and could sign him for the playoffs.

Curry was going to be a train wreck from the get go. Fat and lazy in high school doesn't translate without some discipline in college. He actually dropped a ton of weight with the Bulls and was playing pretty well, although pound for pound, he's one of the worst rebounders in NBA history. That didn't last, and now he's a guy who's going to be in serious trouble. He couldn't pay his bills when he was making $11 million a year. What's going to happen in the next couple? I'm glad he doesn't owe me any money.

So is Carmelo Anthony overrated or the package the Nuggets got back underrated? The Knicks are 9-12 since the trade and the Nuggets are 15-4. I get that the Knicks dealt whatever depth they had in that deal, but I've never really felt that Carmelo was one of the better players in the game. He just seems to be all name and just a little game.

Denver has far better movement of the ball on offense without Melo.

Melo is simply a player who'll shoot the ball 20 times a game, only make about 45% or so of his shots, and he isn't a plus defender.

I'd call him one of the more overrated superstars in the NBA for sure.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 11:16 PM)
So is Carmelo Anthony overrated or the package the Nuggets got back underrated? The Knicks are 9-12 since the trade and the Nuggets are 15-4. I get that the Knicks dealt whatever depth they had in that deal, but I've never really felt that Carmelo was one of the better players in the game. He just seems to be all name and just a little game.

A zero-defense player going to a zero-defense team = failure. Denver, meanwhile, is holding opponents to something like 10 pts less a game since Carmelo left.

Well, two things. Carmelo is solid but the team around he and Amare' is atrocious. Also, Amare' and Melo as a combination is a joke and a defensive liability. Secondly, the Nuggets were a decent team around Carmelo that played defense, and they did add legit players and had a budding PG waiting for Chauncey to be dealt in Ty Lawson.

This

Melo=overrated

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

I would say two things on the 'Melo topic.

1) It depends on where you think he's "rated". I would assume most basketball experts would say he's not in the upper echelon with Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Dwight, Durant and Rose, but that he's definitely somewhere in that next 10 names.

In other words, he's a guy that's not going to single-handedly carry you to a title, but he's definitely the kind of guy you can build a 50-win team around and with the right roster around him you might be able to contend for a title with him as your best player. I don't think most people think he's in that first category, but he'd definitely be overrated at that level. However, I don't think there's much of an argument that he's one of the best scorers in the league and a frachise-type player.

2) I would agree with Steve that team structure plays a large part in their respective records since the trade.

The Knicks have star power, but that team is simply not good as it is currently constructed. They only have five guys that should be in an NBA rotation right now and probably only three that should be starters. Their three best players are all sub-par defenders and they don't have anyone that can defend the post. Combine that with the adjustment period from radically changing their roster mid-season and you get a poor record.

The Nuggets on the other hand don't have the star power but have a far more complete lineup and much better depth. Nene is a very underrated big man, they have two productive PG's with Lawson and Felton, and several competent wings that are capable of having a big night. They're not going to beat one of the good teams in a playoff series, but they have 7-10 guys that can start for a lot of teams and could make some interesting trades with their multitude of pieces.

The Knicks need to add at least 2 more above average players to be a real title threat, which would be difficult. I keep hearing them associated with Paul or Williams, but that would still leave them with a gaping hole inside and both 'Melo and the new PG would need the ball in their hands an awful lot. They'd basically be a poor man's version of the Heat. Now if they could somehow get Dwight that would be another story, but then they would need to find a find a replacement PG somewhere. Of course the other major problem with this is that they will already have $45 mil committed for next year, which wouldn't be enough for a max deal even before the cap falls.

Edited by ZoomSlowik