2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 02:39 AM)
What is a "pure" PG?

I find it hard for anyone to argue that there is a better player that Rose at the PG position, period. Pure or impure (whatever the hell that means), there isnt another PG you would take over him if you were starting a team.

Pretty much a pass first PG with an excellent A:TO ratio.

For instance, Paul averages 10 ASS's and 2.5 TO's a game in his career, so that's a 4:1 A:TO ratio, while Rose has 7.8 ASS's this season and 3.5 TO's a game (so that'd be about a 2.25 to 1 ratio).

I have no doubt that Rose is the best scoring point guard in the NBA, but Paul is better at the other aspects of point guard play.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 03:55 AM)
Pretty much a pass first PG with an excellent A:TO ratio.

For instance, Paul averages 10 ASS's and 2.5 TO's a game in his career, so that's a 4:1 A:TO ratio, while Rose has 7.8 ASS's this season and 3.5 TO's a game (so that'd be about a 2.25 to 1 ratio).

I have no doubt that Rose is the best scoring point guard in the NBA, but Paul is better at the other aspects of point guard play.

Why does a point guard have to be "pass first"? Is there some book that proclaims this? If Chris Paul or any other point guard considered "pass first" had Derek Rose's physical tools, I highly doubt they would be considered "pass first". Rose isn't bad at dishing the ball, but when he gets to the rim, there's no reason for him not to put it in.

I guess its just like Jordan's first few years when it was pretty obvious to some he was probably the best player they will ever see. Others found fault in everything he did. Rose is the best PG in the game hands down. NO would take Rose for Paul straight up, even if their contracts were exactly the same, in about half a second. Every team in the NBA would take Rose in a swap of point guards in half a second.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 10:03 PM)
Why does a point guard have to be "pass first"? Is there some book that proclaims this? If Chris Paul or any other point guard considered "pass first" had Derek Rose's physical tools, I highly doubt they would be considered "pass first". Rose isn't bad at dishing the ball, but when he gets to the rim, there's no reason for him not to put it in.

I guess its just like Jordan's first few years when it was pretty obvious to some he was probably the best player they will ever see. Others found fault in everything he did. Rose is the best PG in the game hands down. NO would take Rose for Paul straight up, even if their contracts were exactly the same, in about half a second. Every team in the NBA would take Rose in a swap of point guards in half a second.

Because it's generally felt around the NBA that teams with scoring first point guard's don't necessarily win in the NBA.

Of course a lot of that depends on the talent surrounding him and how they are coached (and obviously Rose doesn't have to worry about those 2 points).

However I'd also say in recent times, you find a lot more scoring first point guards in the NBA nowadays (which is probably why guys like CP3 are so valuable and held in such high esteem). Especially when there are so many selfish "me first" players in the NBA today.

I'm not disputing that Rose isn't the best PG in the League this season. I'm just saying if Chris Paul had the same athletic ability as what Rose did (which he probably did 3-4 years ago), if I was building a team, I'd probably go with Paul.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 07:21 AM)
Because it's generally felt around the NBA that teams with scoring first point guard's don't necessarily win in the NBA.

Of course a lot of that depends on the talent surrounding him and how they are coached (and obviously Rose doesn't have to worry about those 2 points).

However I'd also say in recent times, you find a lot more scoring first point guards in the NBA nowadays (which is probably why guys like CP3 are so valuable and held in such high esteem). Especially when there are so many selfish "me first" players in the NBA today.

I'm not disputing that Rose isn't the best PG in the League this season. I'm just saying if Chris Paul had the same athletic ability as what Rose did (which he probably did 3-4 years ago), if I was building a team, I'd probably go with Paul.

As it was felt teams with the league leading scorer couldn't win either. MJ proved them wrong 6 times, and most likely it would have been more. Rose will prove them wrong as well. Funny thing is when Rose was drafted, the knock against him was not taking it himself more often and FT shooting which was barely 70%. He's only going to get better.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)
As it was felt teams with the league leading scorer couldn't win either. MJ proved them wrong 6 times, and most likely it would have been more. Rose will prove them wrong as well. Funny thing is when Rose was drafted, the knock against him was not taking it himself more often and FT shooting which was barely 70%. He's only going to get better.

Rose and MJ play in different guard positions (so they're completely different players IMO). And the league's leading scorer isn't really much of an argument (when it depends on the player, what position they play, the talent they play with etc.)

Rose still has a way to go to get to MJ's level as well. He's still got to win in the playoffs before you can start comparing him to MJ.

My point is for scoring point guards, when you look at the likes of Gilbert Arenas, Steve Francis, Stephon Marbury etc. they never came close to succeeding in the playoffs because they were on average teams and they don't play defense. And they didn't make their team-mates around them any better. That's what a pure point guard like Chris Paul can do, he makes his team-mates better. It's similar to what Howard's done in Orlando this season with what Paul did back in 07-08 because the overall talent level of those teams without those 2 players is pretty sub-par to say the least.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 10:53 PM)
Bynum for once hurt his knee at the wrong time. No idea yet how long he'll be out.

Read that Blake has the Chicken Pox as well and that Kobe, Bynum and Pau (think it was those 3) have never gotten it before. Would be quite funny to say the least if one of those 3 did manage to catch it during the playoffs (I'm sure Blake will be quarantined for the time being though).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 07:21 AM)
I'm just saying if Chris Paul had the same athletic ability as what Rose did (which he probably did 3-4 years ago),

No.

Anyways, Bulls now tied with the Spurs for best record in the league.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 07:51 AM)
Rose and MJ play in different guard positions (so they're completely different players IMO). And the league's leading scorer isn't really much of an argument (when it depends on the player, what position they play, the talent they play with etc.)

Rose still has a way to go to get to MJ's level as well. He's still got to win in the playoffs before you can start comparing him to MJ.

My point is for scoring point guards, when you look at the likes of Gilbert Arenas, Steve Francis, Stephon Marbury etc. they never came close to succeeding in the playoffs because they were on average teams and they don't play defense. And they didn't make their team-mates around them any better. That's what a pure point guard like Chris Paul can do, he makes his team-mates better. It's similar to what Howard's done in Orlando this season with what Paul did back in 07-08 because the overall talent level of those teams without those 2 players is pretty sub-par to say the least.

Actually Jordan played a ton of time at the point, even though he was listed as 2. I'm sure you know that though.

You brought up some nice and also some strange names to make your point, although I'm not sure those three prove that PG who CAN score are detrimental to their team. For an opposing point, I submit these names:

Tiny Archibald-averaged 20 and 8, led the league in scoring

Kevin Johnson -18-9

Clyde Frazier 20-6-6

Bob Cousy 19-8

Isiah Thomas 19-9

Oscar Robertson 26-9.5

Magic Johnson 20-11

Compare to player X: 25 points 8 assists

And just for fun, Player Y: 27-6.7

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 07:32 AM)
Acording to ESPN D Rose is 1 of only 3 players in the last 30 years to have 2000 points and 600 assists in a season, other 2 were LBJ last season and MJ in the early 90's.

MJ averaged 8 APG and 32.5 PPG in 88-89

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 09:30 AM)
No.

Anyways, Bulls now tied with the Spurs for best record in the league.

I don't think SA will make it out of the West, it's still the Lakers as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)
I don't think SA will make it out of the West, it's still the Lakers as far as I'm concerned.

Lakers or Thunder imo. I agree though that SA wont make it out the West but like I said before, might as well capture the 1 overall just in case.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 10:42 AM)
Lakers or Thunder imo. I agree though that SA wont make it out the West but like I said before, might as well capture the 1 overall just in case.

I take the Lakers as well. When the lights shine, Kobe just becomes a different player. Phil knows how to coach better in the playoffs than anyone in NBA history.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)
I take the Lakers as well. When the lights shine, Kobe just becomes a different player. Phil knows how to coach better in the playoffs than anyone in NBA history.

And if you mean that in the playoffs Kobe becomes a different player by putting up the exact same numbers that he does in the regular season then you would be correct.

The cameras caught Kobe calling the ref who gave him a tech a "bundle of sticks" or a "german cigarette" (are we allowed to use the word?) and now the gay community is mad. Seriously that word was a slur against gays 20 years ago but now its just like mo-fo etc.