2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
But I like vagina

This had me laugh out loud at its bluntness.

Anyway, the Rose "pure PG" crap gets summed up in this.

Ray Allen is a better "Pure SG" than Jordan.

But man, no one can stop these Bulls. Only team I fear is the Lakers and they might not have Bynum.

Edited by Quinarvy

Random rant here, but I DESPISE the Rose comparisons to Arenas, Francis, etc. Those guys should be categorized as undersized 2-guards instead of scoring point guards. Francis never averaged more than 21.6 ppg in a season and his career high assist average is 7.0. Rose had 7.0 in his 2nd year and 7.8 this year. And the comparison to Arenas is absolutely TERRIBLE. Arenas' shot selection made Antoine Walker and Rasheed Wallace's shot selections look good. When Rose is jacking up 550 3s a year, gimme a call. And Arenas' career high APG was 6.3. The Arenas comparison irks the living s*** out of me. The best comparison, if there is one, is Allen Iverson, and even then, Iverson took way more shots per game and got to the free throw line better than any other player ever. Dwyane Wade minus 1/2 the FT attempts is another comparison. If Rose can get to the line 8-10 times a game, or more, he'd be up around 30 PPG too, especially since he shot 86.1% from the line this year, just ANOTHER aspect of game he has improved drastically.

There really hasn't ever been a player in the NBA like Derrick Rose. He gets to the rim at absolute will and if he's getting calls, he simply cannot be stopped. His ability to control and contort his body in midair is unmatched by anyone who has ever played in this league.

The Kings probably just played their last game in Sacramento. Sad. They were my 2nd favorite team a few years back when they perennially got screwed over by refs against the Lakers, Mavs and Wolves. Arco Arena used to be the rowdiest stadium in the NBA at one point. Some great Kings teams there. Bibby, Christie, Stojakovic, Webber, Divac, Miller, Bobby and Jimmy Jackson, Peeler, Keon Clark, Scott Pollard, Lawrence Funderburke, Jason Williams...

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 12:28 AM)
There really hasn't ever been a player in the NBA like Derrick Rose. He gets to the rim at absolute will and if he's getting calls, he simply cannot be stopped. His ability to control and contort his body in midair is unmatched by anyone who has ever played in this league.

You obviously never watched Allen Iverson in his prime.

Edited by Felix

...And heres the rest of the schedule

Chicago vs. Indiana

Game 1 - Sat April 16, Indiana at Chicago, 1:00 p.m. ET, ESPN/ESPN3D

Game 2 - Mon April 18, Indiana at Chicago, 9:30 p.m. ET, TNT

Game 3 - Thu April 21, Chicago at Indiana, 7:00 p.m. ET, NBA TV

Game 4 - Sat April 23, Chicago at Indiana, 2:30 p.m. ET, TNT

Game 5 * Tue April 26, Indiana at Chicago, TBD, TBD

Game 6 * Thu April 28, Chicago at Indiana, TBD, TBD

Game 7 * Sat April 30, Indiana at Chicago, TBD, TNT

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
Random rant here, but I DESPISE the Rose comparisons to Arenas, Francis, etc. Those guys should be categorized as undersized 2-guards instead of scoring point guards. Francis never averaged more than 21.6 ppg in a season and his career high assist average is 7.0. Rose had 7.0 in his 2nd year and 7.8 this year. And the comparison to Arenas is absolutely TERRIBLE. Arenas' shot selection made Antoine Walker and Rasheed Wallace's shot selections look good. When Rose is jacking up 550 3s a year, gimme a call. And Arenas' career high APG was 6.3. The Arenas comparison irks the living s*** out of me. The best comparison, if there is one, is Allen Iverson, and even then, Iverson took way more shots per game and got to the free throw line better than any other player ever. Dwyane Wade minus 1/2 the FT attempts is another comparison. If Rose can get to the line 8-10 times a game, or more, he'd be up around 30 PPG too, especially since he shot 86.1% from the line this year, just ANOTHER aspect of game he has improved drastically.

I assume you're referring to my post earlier. Those guys I mentioned about Arenas, Francis etc. those are your worse kind of shot first PG's for the reasons you've mentioned (and why they've never been on teams that are successful).

Quite interestingly though, look at Gilbert's best season as a pro compared to Rose's season.

Arenas - 29.3PPG (9.3/20.9 at 44.7FG%), 6.1 ASS's and 3.7 TO's.

Rose - 25.0PPG (8.8/19.7 at 44.5FG%), 7.7ASS's and 3.4TO's.

Those numbers aren't too far apart at all, except for Rose's higher assist numbers (as he's obviously a better playmaker).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 07:32 AM)
One for the John Hollinger stat lovers around here (ahh are there any?);

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-8287819

Also, at some point tomorrow hopefully I'm going to do my playoff predictions as to who I think will win it all with a little analysis.

You should read the "author's" bio. He just a Heat fan.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 06:32 AM)
One for the John Hollinger stat lovers around here (ahh are there any?);

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-8287819

Yeah, this guy knows how to break it down

With a PER (Player Efficiency Rating) of 23.73 Kobe just barely edges Derrick's 23.72, and the 19.0 EWA (Estimated Wins Added) and 568.7 VA (Value Added) of Rose both handily top Bryant's 18.0 and 541.4.

That being said, I'm still placing Kobe Bryant(notes) on this list while leaving Rose off it because of other less tangible reasons.

Here are the stats that show Derrick is better, but that being said, it doesnt matter

Nothing is to be done about this, just as there will be nothing to be done when Rose is actually voted the 2010-11 NBA MVP; becoming the most undeserving player to win the award in its entire history as far as I'm concerned.

LOL, how can anyone take anything this guy says seriously?

So, his Estimated Wins Added stat has LBJ at 25.6. So the Heat would be a 32-33 win team without him? Or is this just a garbage stat?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (kev211 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 01:57 AM)
...And heres the rest of the schedule

Chicago vs. Indiana

Game 1 - Sat April 16, Indiana at Chicago, 1:00 p.m. ET, ESPN/ESPN3D

Game 2 - Mon April 18, Indiana at Chicago, 9:30 p.m. ET, TNT

Game 3 - Thu April 21, Chicago at Indiana, 7:00 p.m. ET, NBA TV

Game 4 - Sat April 23, Chicago at Indiana, 2:30 p.m. ET, TNT

Game 5 * Tue April 26, Indiana at Chicago, TBD, TBD

Game 6 * Thu April 28, Chicago at Indiana, TBD, TBD

Game 7 * Sat April 30, Indiana at Chicago, TBD, TNT

The real schedule

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 01:45 AM)
I dont think its a big deal, but at the same time maybe you should think about using terms like that so flippantly.

I personally think by making a word taboo you give it more power, but Im in the minority (with that belief) and I can respect that people should have a certain level of decency.

Cocksucker is not the same, I wont even go into similar words, because I guarantee I can offend 90% of this board. :D

the guys at a god damn workplace. Do you start yelling f** at your work place? You guys all need to grow up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)
The real schedule

It's funny how two sports with the exact same 1st round seeding setup can have such different odds of each team winning. The Blackhawks are underdogs but have a fighters chance to knock off the #1 team. It can basically be said that the Pacers have ZERO chance to knock off the Bulls, and that's how it usually is in the NBA with the 1 vs. 8 matchup.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 08:33 AM)
It's funny how two sports with the exact same 1st round seeding setup can have such different odds of each team winning. The Blackhawks are underdogs but have a fighters chance to knock off the #1 team. It can basically be said that the Pacers have ZERO chance to knock off the Bulls, and that's how it usually is in the NBA with the 1 vs. 8 matchup.

The 24 second clock in the NBA makes it a lot harder for series upsets to happen in the playoffs.

I'll be the first to put down some predictions so people can yell at me:

Bulls

Heat

Celtics

Magic

Bulls

Heat

Bulls

Spurs

Lakers

Blazers

Thunder

Thunder

Lakers

Thunder(Those this is kind of pending on Bynum)

Bulls over Thunder in 6.