2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 08:54 AM)
It happens a lot in many of the places I have worked.

I could get terminated for saying derogatory and homophobic slurs. While it might happen where I work, it isnt ok by my employer

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)
I could get terminated for saying derogatory and homophobic slurs. While it might happen where I work, it isnt ok by my employer

I know I work in a different world, but the things I have been called, and have called people would have gotten about 99.9% of people fired.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 03:46 AM)
I assume you're referring to my post earlier. Those guys I mentioned about Arenas, Francis etc. those are your worse kind of shot first PG's for the reasons you've mentioned (and why they've never been on teams that are successful).

Quite interestingly though, look at Gilbert's best season as a pro compared to Rose's season.

Arenas - 29.3PPG (9.3/20.9 at 44.7FG%), 6.1 ASS's and 3.7 TO's.

Rose - 25.0PPG (8.8/19.7 at 44.5FG%), 7.7ASS's and 3.4TO's.

Those numbers aren't too far apart at all, except for Rose's higher assist numbers (as he's obviously a better playmaker).

I gave you a nice list of scoring PG's including one with very similar stats to Rose. Yet you continue to use a 2 guard as a comparison.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 08:27 AM)
the guys at a god damn workplace. Do you start yelling f** at your work place? You guys all need to grow up.

There's no comparing an NBA game with an average workplace. The players and coaches and referees swear all the time. $100k is nothing to Kobe, but its an NBA publicity stunt fining him.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 03:46 AM)
I assume you're referring to my post earlier. Those guys I mentioned about Arenas, Francis etc. those are your worse kind of shot first PG's for the reasons you've mentioned (and why they've never been on teams that are successful).

Quite interestingly though, look at Gilbert's best season as a pro compared to Rose's season.

Arenas - 29.3PPG (9.3/20.9 at 44.7FG%), 6.1 ASS's and 3.7 TO's.

Rose - 25.0PPG (8.8/19.7 at 44.5FG%), 7.7ASS's and 3.4TO's.

Those numbers aren't too far apart at all, except for Rose's higher assist numbers (as he's obviously a better playmaker).

Throwing select stats up that resemble each other. I expect better from you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
I know I work in a different world, but the things I have been called, and have called people would have gotten about 99.9% of people fired.

So would "Trying to destroy the world" but y'all got bonuses for that...

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 12:28 AM)
The best comparison, if there is one, is Allen Iverson, and even then, Iverson took way more shots per game and got to the free throw line better than any other player ever. Dwyane Wade minus 1/2 the FT attempts is another comparison. If Rose can get to the line 8-10 times a game, or more, he'd be up around 30 PPG too, especially since he shot 86.1% from the line this year, just ANOTHER aspect of game he has improved drastically.

To me he's more like a Gary Payton when he was in his prime. (Payton a better defender of course) And yes Rose has to shoot alot because that's what he has to do for his team to win. Give him a competent SG next season (as well as a more healthy Boozer) and he'll shoot less and probably be more efficient in the process. (he did the same thing in high school his junior year before improving on his playmaking his senior year) And shame on those who don't know what a pure PG is.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
So would it be fair to say that it's almost a lock that the Kings will move to Anaheim next year?

Jerry Buss is the one factor that prevents me from calling it a lock. He has some power in the NBA and I'm sure as hell he doesn't want 3 teams in the LA area. (Well more like 2.5, but Blake Griffin is changing that)

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
So would it be fair to say that it's almost a lock that the Kings will move to Anaheim next year?

Don't know if its right, but Simmons said something about all the other owners voting on a "moving fee" and if they set the fee too high, the broke ass Maloofs would have to sell in order to move.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 12:50 AM)
Actually Jordan played a ton of time at the point, even though he was listed as 2. I'm sure you know that though.

You brought up some nice and also some strange names to make your point, although I'm not sure those three prove that PG who CAN score are detrimental to their team. For an opposing point, I submit these names:

Tiny Archibald-averaged 20 and 8, led the league in scoring

Kevin Johnson -18-9

Clyde Frazier 20-6-6

Bob Cousy 19-8

Isiah Thomas 19-9

Oscar Robertson 26-9.5

Magic Johnson 20-11

Compare to player X: 25 points 8 assists

And just for fun, Player Y: 27-6.7

To me Magic Johnson was a pass first playmaker who could definitely score. He had such a wonderful FG% for a PG which made him such an effective scorer, he was simply a once in a generation player of that era surrounded by some fantastic talent in Adbul - Jabbar, Worthy etc.

With Kevin Johnson, that team never had major success until Sir Charles arrived at that team. In his best scoring seasons, he averaged around 50FG%, again very good for a PG.

I think what I'm trying to say is that yes you can win with a score first point guard, I don't know if the players above are definitely score first point guards because they were such excellent distributors of the ball as well. But they were surrounded by fantastic talent and were well coached, which is something that the 3 guys I mentioned in Francis, Marbury and Arenas have never been on.

Right, some playoff predictions here;

Bulls over Pacers in 4 games; Should be pretty easy for Chicago, can't see the Pacers winning a game in this one.

Heat over 76ers in 4 games; I liked Philly's resurgance in the middle part of this season, but they seem to have gone off the boil a bit lately. There'll be some close games, Iggy should do a good job on Lebron defensively, but Miami has too much firepower.

Celtics over Knicks in 5 games; Same questions are being asked of Boston as this time last season, and I think most of them are credible. Still New York doesn't have the size down low to exploit Boston's weakness here. Garnett will lock down Stoudemire, and Rondo will be far too quick for Billups. Can see the Knicks winning at least 1 game though.

Magic over Hawks in 6 games; Can actually see this being a tough series for Orlando. Hawks have a 3-1 record over them this season, they've figured out that Horford couldn't guard Dwight, but they have a guy in Collins who actually does a decent job there. Joe Johnson needs to have a big series here, but I see us eventually winning in 6.

Spurs over Grizzlies in 7 games; This is really going to be a tight series I reckon. Manu's iffy for the opener, Tim Duncan's still feeling his way back from that ankle sprain, and Memphis has been one of the hottest teams in the 2nd half of the season. Still, I think the Spurs have got enough experience to win when it counts.

Lakers over Hornets in 4 games; This has sweep written all over it for mine. Hornets simply don't have enough offensive weapons on the court without David West. Landry is a decent replacement but they need his production off the bench. So long as Fisher doesn't let CP3 go crazy, the Lakers should win this easy, even without Bynum.

Mavericks over Blazers in 6 games; Tough series to predict, Portland have looked good since the Wallace trade, and he'll go a good job defensively on Dirk this series I'd say. Still the Mavs have been pretty consistent all season long, they've played well when they've had to. I could easily see Portland winning it though.

Thunder over Nuggets in 6 games; Bit of trash-talking going on b/w these 2 so it should make for a good one. Denver have been re-invigorated since the Melo trade, they are probably the deepest team in the league in terms of overally production they can count on. I don't know if Gallnari can keep up with Durant for the whole series defensively though and I think that will ultimately make the difference.

Semi - Finals;

Magic over Bulls in 7 games; Well I'm going to get flamed for this obviously, but I'll try to put some logic behind it. The Magic will look terrible for at least 2 if not 3 games this series, I guarantee that. When they aren't hitting the 3 ball, they get clogged down offensively, and the Bulls do a better job at running teams off the 3PT line then anybody else. This series will come down to bench production and the Deng vs Turkoglu matchup. Chicago's bench has been quality all season long, the Magic will need Redick and Arenas to play well to keep up on that front, I think they're capable of doing so. Chicago should look to exploit the Deng matchup offensively, as Turk isn't the greatest defender. If Turk can get his jumper and screen and roll game going offensively though, he makes a huge difference offensively. I see Rose exploding for around 35PPG for this series, but the Magic let Lebron do that to them a couple of seasons back and were able to pull out a win overall, and so long as they can keep the other players in check, I'll go for the upset.

Heat over Celtics in 6 games; This one will be tight and low scoring, I can see every game finishing at a score of around 80-80 each, that's just how they play. If Miami can get Haslem back, that will be huge for them, give them a good matchup for Big Baby off the bench. I don't know if Allen can keep up with Wade for the whole series, Pierce should do a good job on defense on Lebron, but I don't think the Celtics can win in this one.

Mavs over Spurs in 6 games; Could call this an upset, but I haven't liked San Antonio for the 2nd half of this season, and I think if ever Dirk was going to take over a series and pull his team over the line, this is the one. They are pretty much even everywhere else, the Spurs will try to exploit Parker on Kidd as much as possible, so Beaubois needs to have a good series defensively. Again could go either way, but I like Dallas here.

Thunder over Lakers in 7 games; This series will be a beauty, and probably from a neutral's perspective one that I'm most looking forward to right now. With the addition of Perkins, the Thunder have enough size to combat Gasol and Bynum down low now. But Perkins must stay out of foul trouble this series, and he has an issue with that. But they have enough big guys in Collison (very underrated defender) and Ibaka to hold their own as well. But the Thunder have 2 guys in Westbrook and Durant, who against Fisher and Artest who are getting older and slower, to really try and exploit as much as possible. And I think they'll be able to do so, Kobe will prob hit 2 game winners, but the Thunder pull out the win overall.

Conference Finals;

Heat over Magic in 6 games;

Quite an interesting choice you might say, and ultimately this will come down to Miami's willingness to play 48 good minutes every time they step out on the court against us. They've dominated most games against us this season, Lebron vs Hedo will be quite painful to watch, and Bosh is too big for Bass. Howard will have a big series, but I'm not sure if that'll be enough. If Miami show total commitment on defense, we'll have real trouble scoring against them.

Thunder over Mavs in 5 games;

I like OKC in this matchup, this will be Durant's coming out party as a bonafide NBA superstar (if he's not already). Dallas will make it a good series, but I think OKC's 2 man game with Durant and Westbrook against Peja / Brewer and Kidd will be too hard to handle.

NBA Finals;

Thunder over Miami in 7 games;

Durant vs Lebron would be fantastic to watch. Very evenly matched, these two. I wonder if Wade would take Westbrook defensively for this one. I think Scotty Brooks is a better coach than Spoelstra though, and in the end that could actually make the biggest difference in this series.

Playoff Predictions:

Bulls over Pacers in 4.

Bulls over Magic in 6.

Bulls over Celtics in 6.

Bulls over Lakers in 7.

We all head to Grant Park & bask in the glory that is this year's Chicago Bulls team.

Gill just said that Hansborough didnt have a lot of skill coming out of college.

News to me, I always thought the concern was he didnt have excellent athleticism and it was unclear how hed translate to the NBA. The guy kind of had ridiculous stats at UNC.