2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 10:56 PM)
Boston still has very strong schemes which is where they excel. Allen was not known as a strong defender and neither was Pierce before Thibs. The scheme is what makes them. What you did for Boston and Miami, I can very easily do for the Bulls.

Bogans sucks period

Rose is still a bad defender

Deng is super strong

Boozer sucks

Noah is strong

Brewer is strong

Korver sucks

Gibson is good

In this day in age, with zone defense, it makes no sense to go up and down a player list and say they suck because schemes can hide anyone's bad defense.

BTW, I suggest people look at the Hornets game and see what Chris Paul is doing. The way he directs every player and knows every spot and literally points out weaknesses to his players and points of attack are great. I won't even get started on his numbers.

Bogans is not a terrible defender. There's a reason why Thibbs is still starting him. It's not because of some stupid man-love (well, maybe it is), but the only reason Bogans is getting minutes is because of his defense and his inconsistent, yet somewhat productive 3 point shooting. He absolutely made Ray Allen look like crap in the last meeting against Boston and he can hold his own against most SGs in the league.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
I don't know what happened to Turkoglu. I mean, I thought he would be improved in Orlando's system, but he's stunk as bad if not worse than he did in PHX and Toronto. They never tried to make JRich a focal point, Gilbert sucks and Dwight's going to leave since they're handicapped by the cap.

It's weird, the first month or 2 after the trade, he was scoring at an effective rate, had good assist numbers, and basically looked like the player he was a few seasons ago when we made the finals. And since then he has fallen apart. He doesn't drive to the basket anymore, and he takes so many off balance horrible jump shots when he doesn't have to.

Right now, this is the most concerned I've been as a Magic fan since the day that T-Mac demanded to be traded. We are at a real crossroads right now.

A lot of Orlando fans are calling for Otis Smith the GM to be canned. He's done a decent job at finding talent over the years, but he's made some horrible trades and overpaid for free agents. I always wonder how this team would look with Courtney Lee as the 2 guard right now. He picked up Vince Carter on the downswing, and Marcin Gortat has turned out to be the best player in that 5 player trade.

And there are big rumors that Houston is going to go all out for SVG in the off-season. And I wouldn't be shocked if he goes, as I think he sees the writing on the wall in terms of Dwight, and Houston have an owner who'll spend to win.

I'm hoping that a new CBA comes in that will allow us to cut Arenas in the off-season, J-Rich walks, we sign Affalo as a replacement, and we work a trade for Johnny Flynn (even if it includes Nelson). A core of Flynn-Affalo-Turk-Bass and Howard for next season would give us a much better team look.

Everyone's speculating that Howard's going to be a Laker from 2012 onwards. Not sure how they would do that cap wise (sign and trade with Bynum?), but I think the Nets are a team to watch in that scenario. I was always confident he would stay, but that was based on us contending. Right now, I'm much more pessimistic.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)
A lot of Orlando fans are calling for Otis Smith the GM to be canned. He's done a decent job at finding talent over the years, but he's made some horrible trades and overpaid for free agents. I always wonder how this team would look with Courtney Lee as the 2 guard right now. He picked up Vince Carter on the downswing, and Marcin Gortat has turned out to be the best player in that 5 player trade.

The Moves made by the Magic the last year or two have reminded me a lot of the moves made by the Cavaliers for the couple years before James bolted. They've got the ring of moves that need to pass judgement by a star, moves that are gambles that hopefully help you win "now" but may hamstring the roster a few years down the road.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 10:52 PM)
The Moves made by the Magic the last year or two have reminded me a lot of the moves made by the Cavaliers for the couple years before James bolted. They've got the ring of moves that need to pass judgement by a star, moves that are gambles that hopefully help you win "now" but may hamstring the roster a few years down the road.

Moving Gortat I could understand, because with the type of offense the Magic employ with having shooters around Dwight, there was no fit long - term for Gortat on our team.

J-Rich has been a massive disappointment and doesn't look to have much left in the tank at all. I've always been a big Lee fan, and I'd feel he'd be an upgrade at this point (Affalo is a very similar type of player BTW).

Otis is basically running out of players from his Golden State days to acquire at this point.

Agree on the Cleveland situation. Ideally, the Magic wanted to get Chris Paul last off-season, but that was never going to happen. I think if they knew that Utah was going to trade Deron Williams they would have jumped in on that, but they didn't have the assets to get a deal done there (both pre and post Dec trade).

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 10:57 PM)
Remember when the Magic were supposed to be a title contender? That was funny.

Howard basically threw his teammates under the bus int he post game press interview. Basically said "I am working my butt of and they arent doing anything". Yea, 8 TOs had nothing to do with the loss...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
With a statement like that, I wonder if the Magic might change their minds about him if they get a big time haul offered for him.

Let me be clear that wasnt an exact quote. Just a generalization of what he said.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 09:15 AM)
Let me be clear that wasnt an exact quote. Just a generalization of what he said.

So what's his contract status? Is he a FA after this season?

Could you imagine if we skipped the Boozer signing and picked him up next year? (Disclaimer: I don't think we're going to win it all this year, with or without Boozer)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
So what's his contract status? Is he a FA after this season?

Could you imagine if we skipped the Boozer signing and picked him up next year? (Disclaimer: I don't think we're going to win it all this year, with or without Boozer)

He has one more year on his contract I believe.

I think the numbers work for a Noah/Taj/+scraps (+bobcasts & our 1st rounders) for Howard trade as long as the CBA doesn't blow everything up.

Man that'd be sick, I can't think of any team that can offer something like that other than the Lakers with Bynum

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 07:06 AM)
It's weird, the first month or 2 after the trade, he was scoring at an effective rate, had good assist numbers, and basically looked like the player he was a few seasons ago when we made the finals. And since then he has fallen apart. He doesn't drive to the basket anymore, and he takes so many off balance horrible jump shots when he doesn't have to.

Right now, this is the most concerned I've been as a Magic fan since the day that T-Mac demanded to be traded. We are at a real crossroads right now.

And there are big rumors that Houston is going to go all out for SVG in the off-season. And I wouldn't be shocked if he goes, as I think he sees the writing on the wall in terms of Dwight, and Houston have an owner who'll spend to win.

I'm hoping that a new CBA comes in that will allow us to cut Arenas in the off-season, J-Rich walks, we sign Affalo as a replacement, and we work a trade for Johnny Flynn (even if it includes Nelson). A core of Flynn-Affalo-Turk-Bass and Howard for next season would give us a much better team look.

Everyone's speculating that Howard's going to be a Laker from 2012 onwards. Not sure how they would do that cap wise (sign and trade with Bynum?), but I think the Nets are a team to watch in that scenario. I was always confident he would stay, but that was based on us contending. Right now, I'm much more pessimistic.

Jonny Flynn...the dude with a 44% TS...for Jameer Nelson? You're doing Felix and the T-Wolves a hell of a favor there. The guy's ORtg's never cracked 100 yet these past two years.

A lot of teams are gonna be after Affalo if he doesn't re-up with Denver. The Bulls will definitely be one of them.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 03:55 PM)
Jonny Flynn...the dude with a 44% TS...for Jameer Nelson? You're doing Felix and the T-Wolves a hell of a favor there. The guy's ORtg's never cracked 100 yet these past two years.

A lot of teams are gonna be after Affalo if he doesn't re-up with Denver. The Bulls will definitely be one of them.

Yeah, the Magic aren't going to be able to pull off Affalo. Plus, they still have Redick they're currently paying.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 06:55 AM)

I think we've seen the best of Nelson as a player. He has problems beating players off the dribble now and isn't much of a playmaker.

Flynn obviously hasn't shown much in Minny at this point, but I think he's a guy if you put him on a better team and a better coached team, he can still become a pretty good player.

Affalo should definitely get the MLE at least, if not more, depending on the new CBA. He's the ideal glue guy for a contender (in that he's an excellent defender and can knock down the 3).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 07:26 PM)
I think we've seen the best of Nelson as a player. He has problems beating players off the dribble now and isn't much of a playmaker.

Flynn obviously hasn't shown much in Minny at this point, but I think he's a guy if you put him on a better team and a better coached team, he can still become a pretty good player.

Affalo should definitely get the MLE at least, if not more, depending on the new CBA. He's the ideal glue guy for a contender (in that he's an excellent defender and can knock down the 3).

He is probably the Bulls most realistic target (and arguably best option). It will depend if he wants to play for a winner at less money or make bigger money with a lesser team.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
San Antonio is in serious trouble now. The Grizzlies are really taking it to them.

Good for the Grizzlies. Now they can go get destroyed by OKC in the second round.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 08:05 PM)
San Antonio is in serious trouble now. The Grizzlies are really taking it to them.

I knew Memphis had a good chance to win this series but I didn't think they'd be doing it like this. Obviously, they still have to finish off the Spurs but they just look like the better team right now.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 08:06 PM)
Good for the Grizzlies. Now they can go get destroyed by OKC in the second round.

The Grizz aren't a cake walk by any means but OKC looks like the best team in the West right now and by a pretty wide margin.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 07:26 PM)

Can you take over a team and trade for him? Pretty pretty please?

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
Can you take over a team and trade for him? Pretty pretty please?

We can all dream.

I just see him as an ideal "buy low" type of player. He's got TO issues and needs to improve his jump shot, but those are things that are coachable and definitely fixable.

All depends on what Kahn wants for him though.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 03:55 AM)
We can all dream.

I just see him as an ideal "buy low" type of player. He's got TO issues and needs to improve his jump shot, but those are things that are coachable and definitely fixable.

All depends on what Kahn wants for him though.

If I had to take a completely wild speculative guess, I would say he wants a power foward type.